Thomas Helvard
Denmark
Aarhus C
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules under section G1.Courtships it states:

'If in a foreign tableau, the new husband starts mature and immediately gains the daughter’s abilities and portal actions (I2), with her “father” sharing these benefits.'

What is the reason behind this? Why would a husband who marries a foreign daughter start mature, when marrying your own daughter makes the husband immature?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
helvard wrote:
In the rules under section G1.Courtships it states:

'If in a foreign tableau, the new husband starts mature and immediately gains the daughter’s abilities and portal actions (I2), with her “father” sharing these benefits.'

What is the reason behind this? Why would a husband who marries a foreign daughter start mature, when marrying your own daughter makes the husband immature?
I'd assume game balance, courting your own daughter is easier than a foreign daughter IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Helvard
Denmark
Aarhus C
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
I'd assume game balance, courting your own daughter is easier than a foreign daughter IIRC.

But it's when marrying a daughter of another player, that makes the husband automatic mature, not when marrying your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
helvard wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

But it's when marrying a daughter of another player, that makes the husband automatic mature, not when marrying your own.
Exactly, since it is easier to court domestic daughters it becomes harder to use their abilities by starting the husband immature.
The more difficult courtship of a foreign daughter is balanced by skipping the immature husband and placing him mature right away.

One is easier to place but requires additional investment before the ability becomes unlocked, the other involves risk when placing the husband, but once placed the ability is unlocked immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Helvard
Denmark
Aarhus C
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies.

Thematically, I guess the husband has already proven his worth/maturity when courting the foreign daughter, whereas when marrying your people's own daughters hasn't matured the husband yet - he needs time to live up to the tribes wishes of marriage.

I went through the Troubadour rule in the living rules last night, and if we follow this line of thinking, shouldn't a contested husband in your own tableau start mature (provided he makes the roll), as he goes through the same courtship roll as the opponent?(As the Living Rules state that he has no "home court advantage")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
helvard wrote:
Thematically, I guess the husband has already proven his worth/maturity when courting the foreign daughter, whereas when marrying your people's own daughters hasn't matured the husband yet - he needs time to live up to the tribes wishes of marriage.

You need to think about it over a much longer period of time and a much larger population. It's a cultural cross-pollination of sorts, once developed it becomes part of the norm much easier than a slower internal restructuring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.