Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Considering to buy Descent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
El Solitario
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

I am considering to but Descent (the base game).
My plan is to play alone using the redjak variants (also include the delve of redjak), and when with my kids to use the app until I can know how to play the overlord side.

I recognize that I am not very friendly with the idea about the dependence on an digital application because can get outdated and no work anymore (in 10 years as example).

Is worth to buy the game using the redjak variants and the delve (physical) considering apart the option of the app?
If it is worth, I am thinking that the expansions are the first priority and after will be the hero boxes, in last place would be the lieutenant.

Sorry about my poor english.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I have decided to do. The Base game, played with the App first, followed by the solo variants by redjak - I have already got all boxed expansions (awaiting delivery of The Trollfens) and have started collecting the hero and monster sets. Might not bother with the Lieutenant packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsetius
Denmark
flag msg tools
Why not play solo with the app using 2-4 heroes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Helgeland
Denmark
flag msg tools
I've tried playing with both the App and the RedJak's Automated Overlord Variant (RAOV). Not tried the Monster variant (RAMV) yet though.

First, I want to say that the feeling is a bit different from each other. The app does a nice job of doing interesting stuff for you, but often I find the app waaaay to unforgivable and punch you right in the face. It is hard to know how the app plays the different scenarios. Where one scenario there is spawning a bunch of monsters every round, then you use a lot of time to beat them down, only to find out that the thing you actually needed to do, was to go through a door to stop them from spawning anymore. Other times, you rush to the door, thinking the monsters will stop spawning, but then you get punished and the app slams down a couple dragons and some more. At one point I was really struggling killing some spiders (spawning endlessly!). They surrounded my characters and I had to use a lot of time dealing with them. Suddenly, the app figure out that I used too much time on this nonsense, and punish me with perils that summons elementals. Well thanks for that. Now it made it easier by a bunch... Then after a few rounds of hurting bad, you get the message "only two rounds left, or you fail the mission". This is the part I want to smash the computer! BUT! Knowing this mission now, it is much simpler, and it is easier the second time around. Even though I think the app is really unforgiving, it also is amazing! I love it, even if there are a few problems here and there! Explorations, custom events, interesting map layouts, choises to be made... nice!

RAOV uses the cards from the actual game, and doesn't need a lot of printing to get started. It takes some time to get it all set up, but when the board is ready, it works pretty well. The awesome thing about this system, is that you can play the actual missions in the rulebook! I've played with two characters, and found the system work pretty well and balanced. If not a bit too easy at some times (maybe I'm just used to the hard app ) I havent played that much of it, but I kind of like it a bit more than the app at the moment. I've not yet died first turn from this at least, yes, I have died turn one from the app. Enter the map, turn 1 death from archers. GG

So, the awesome thing is that these modes are "free"! Combining the bas game story and the new... Definitely #worth

On a side note, if dicegames are not for you, you should check out Gloomhaven. Soon to be released dungeon crawler with over 90 scenarios! No minis to paint (except the heroes) = saves a lot of time Check out Man VS Meeples video of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
west yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
problem with gloomhaven is..its taking forever to be released!...the dev had a fully functioning game at shows last year!!.I can sort of understand if it had a lot of minis..but it hasn't..so, why taking so long?

as for Descent.its probably the best dungeon crawler around at the moment with a great modding community and still being heavily supported by FFG...but there are a few games out next year which could be better..Sword&Sorcery,Darklight memento mori..and Deep darkness.i think its called..all look great and more of a darker feel to them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Solitario
Spain
flag msg tools
Did someone played the Delve from Redjak?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.