Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry DeYoung
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read that the downtime for this game can be a problem for more than two players. What is the downtime like for three players? Over 90% of the time that I play games, it is with a total of 3 players. Should I be concerned about the downtime killing this game for my group?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played this game it was with 4 players who were all new. I understand the comments about downtime, but with experienced gamers turns should not take that long. How you handle downtime is a matter of perspective.

If members of your group get very impatient waiting while others take their turns, then it could be a concern. On the other hand, if you enjoy watching your fellow gamers consider their options and wrestle with decisions, then it is not a big deal. Also, the actions in this game are simple enough that AP should not really be a problem. Worst case, the first player can get a snack refill or go to the bathroom while the other four turns happen between their first and sixth turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Down time with this game is the same as for any other medium weight euro. Difference being that the wait time is lumped into different amounts for each player each round. Each round however everyone waits for everyone else to make 2 moves, its just the time between your moves is different for everyone. Not a problem for me, especially with 2 or 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with 2p or 3p, but I really would avoid it with 4p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
msg tools
mbmb
senorcoo wrote:

+1

Even with non-AP players, I've found the wait between 1st and 8th turns as the first player is too long to avoid all but the most focused of individuals becoming disengaged. If people wandering away from the table or spending time on their phones isn't a problem for you and your group, then I guess 4P is fine. But I'd rather play something else that keeps everyone focused on the game if we have four players.

(Side note: GAH is my most-played game of 2016 to date, so I say the above as a real fan of the game! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Mcgavisk
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

agreed- best at 2, fine with 3, too slow at 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I don't think the downtime is that bad at any player count
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game.. LOVE it... but will not play it 4 player due to the turn times. 3 is solid. Haven't played it at 2 yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Rieberghs
Belgium
Turnhout
-- Maak uw keuze --
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me this is one of the best 2-player games that were released in 2015.
I really really love it, very smooth and quick playing once you know the rules. Easily playable within 60 minutes.
With three players it's still a very very good game and I don't mind the downtime at all. It takes about 90 minutes and you always have something to think about.
With four players downtime can be a problem, for sure when you play with (some) AP players. The biggest problem then is that the player who will go first that turn must wait six turns to take his second action and that could be a while.
I've heard some people houseruling that rule and they alternate turns, so that everybody must wait only three turns. But I don't know if that works, never played it liked that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Berne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another bone to chew on:

I say that players who complain about the downtime in 4p didn't understand one of the most important and beautifullest concepts in the game - passing your turn. Only very few rounds will be played 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8. In contrary, it is more common to have 1-2-3-4-pass-pass-7-pass - reroll - 5-6-pass - reroll 8 (or similar). You can never be sure how fast your next turn will come, especially if the dice have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't have as many people passing in the two four player games I've played. I think it was due more to risk aversion than lack of knowing the rule - "at least if I take my turn now I know what i'm getting, instead of re-rolling and then who knows what I get out of that!"

And those players that pass still do have to take their turns at SOME point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Like any game it depends on the players. I have played it several times 4 player with quick players and it's been fine. I played it once with three slow players (I always play fast) and it was a nightmare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
I played it once with three slow players (I always play fast) and it was a nightmare.

As is any thinky euro, not just Grand Austria.

As you stated, downtime in nearly every game is player dependent. This one (Grand Austria) has the opertunity to be worse 1 or 2 turns in the game, The other 6 turns there is the same or less downtime. Whereas what you're stateing about slow players will happen EVERY turn in a regular game.

If you're the impatient type that can't enjoy the down time, then learn to play with 2 or 3, but after that don't hessitate to play with 4 experienced players. It's a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.