Merchants & Marauders» Forums » General

Subject: Learning tips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Brillant
Canada
red deer
flag msg tools
Is there any resources to help me learn this game. Read the rule book but having a hard time grasping the game. The youtube videos i've found don't do a good job.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo Damo
msg tools
The Ameritrasher video is fairly comprehensive, possibly too long.

Alternatively, you can avoid combat and just trade for a bit to get used to the movement, sale, purchase of goods in addition to the random events. After you feel comfortable go on a merchant raid following the example in the rulebook. Afterwards, see if you can take on a larger NPC ship. Move to PVP combat last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Esther Phillips - Baby, I'm for Real!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilBrillant wrote:
Is there any resources to help me learn this game. Read the rule book but having a hard time grasping the game. The youtube videos i've found don't do a good job.

Have you looked here? I just clicked forums and the sixth thread from the top was this one: So, You want to be a Pirate? A Merchants & Marauder's Strategy Guide.

I'm sure there are lots more where that came from, not to mention files, session reports, etc. I agree that videos tend to suck, but there's a great deal more available just a click or two away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll also want to grab the Universal Head game aid from the file section. Required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
You'll also want to grab the Universal Head game aid from the file section. Required.

I like Universal Head, but it's rare that I find their game aids to be required. In this particular case, I think that the game comes with good reference material already, and the Universal Head game aid is nearly as extensive as the manual itself (with smaller font). Everything that I find on the game aid, I also find in the manual, and usually in a similarly easily digested format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

I like Universal Head, but it's rare that I find their game aids to be required. In this particular case, I think that the game comes with good reference material already, and the Universal Head game aid is nearly as extensive as the manual itself (with smaller font). Everything that I find on the game aid, I also find in the manual, and usually in a similarly easily digested format.

UH is my go to when I've already shlogged through the game's rules and I need a quicker reference during game play or a refresher if I haven't played the game in a while. In this respect I do find them required and if a game has a UH aid, I'm printing it out and it goes in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Esther Phillips - Baby, I'm for Real!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of UH and use his rules for a great many games, but Haslo has a good point about other resources available for M&M. The designer went the extra mile (and then some) for this game. MM-FAQ-V1 is what I use most; it's a very solid resource that focuses on the troublesome areas and leaves out the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Brillant
Canada
red deer
flag msg tools
Thanks ! I just printed off the errata. This looks very useful with some rule corrections I didn't know about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan kirk
United States
Federal Way
WA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love complicated, history-based games.
And i have difficulty understanding the rules.
It seems that most rules are unconnected nodules.

For a few games, I have rearranged the rules to be sequential, "This, then this, If ... then ... else ..."
I could send you my work.
I don't know if there might be a market for it so keep it to yourself.

kennewicknate
at
gmail
(i don't see how to attach a document. Want Word or Pages?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
natekirk wrote:
I don't know if there might be a market for it

I don't think there is, we're hobbyists here and most board gamers like to share As a consequence, you're competing against everything out there that's available free of charge, and has plenty of thumbs to back up its utility.

You'd have to convince people that your resource is better than what's available free and worth the hassle of not only finding your resources and being ready to pay a price for something they don't know the quality of, but also arranging payment.

Edit: If you want to share your work through BGG, go to the file page linked above and upload your file. It'll go through GeekMod, and then be available for everybody. You'll get lots of thumbsup and for it if people like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.