Subject: Another Solo Campaign vs Glacien rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After miserably failing to play the solo mode correctly, I played a 4th campaign, this time with a correct starting deck, and at last properly beat the Glacien.

There was some really enjoyable tension early on in the game, but I never felt overrun by the monsters. None of them ever made it beyond step 2.

I won the game by sealing both Shadowrifts, but when the second one came out, I had already built 4 walls and was rather confident I would win by building walls if the second Shadowrift happened to be decked.

When the game ended, I had the following cards in my deck:
- 10 Starters
- 8 Heroism
- 2 Might
- 2 Fireball
- 2 Seal
- 1 Blessed Smite
- 1 Holy Aura
- 1 Frenzy

I bought Blessed Smite and Holy Aura as soon as I could.

With Blessed Smite and the 2 starting Strikes, I had a near guarantee of dealing 4 melee hits between Monster turns. That proved effective since most Monsters had 8 life or less.

Holy Aura was huge to prevent wounds. Most of wounds I received came from the Backstabber.

Fireballs were great once I had earned enough Heroism to predictably be able pay 2 magic to get the big exploding fireball. The side damage was a good way to deal with the Freezes that made it to town while still focusing attacks on the big Monsters.

Because I took very few wounds, I almost never used Frenzy. In retrospect this card slowed my deck down more than anything else. I certainly never paid to keep it in play. In contrast I paid every turn to keep Holy Aura. The second Seal was probably excessive too.

I used the Mayor as often as I could to make big attack turns.

I didn't make a full list of the Villagers I bought, but the Gravedigger, Prince and Priest definitely made it in my town. All very useful. The Gravedigger dug out at least 2 Corpses.

I think the tipping point happened around the time I earned my 5th Heroism. At that point I knew I had enough fire power to deal with incoming threats while also being able to buy my way to victory if needed. Even if the tension dropped a little, the game was nonetheless very enjoyable. And throwing that big exploding fireball is always a blast!

PS: I played 1st edition cards with 2nd edition rules, and used the 1st edition Glacien scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
tbollaert wrote:
After miserably failing to play the solo mode correctly, I played a 4th campaign, this time with a correct starting deck, and at last properly beat the Glacien.

There was some really enjoyable tension early on in the game, but I never felt overrun by the monsters. None of them ever made it beyond step 2.

I won the game by sealing both Shadowrifts, but when the second one came out, I had already built 4 walls and was rather confident I would win by building walls if the second Shadowrift happened to be decked.

When the game ended, I had the following cards in my deck:
- 10 Starters
- 8 Heroism
- 2 Might
- 2 Fireball
- 2 Seal
- 1 Blessed Smite
- 1 Holy Aura
- 1 Frenzy

I bought Blessed Smite and Holy Aura as soon as I could.

With Blessed Smite and the 2 starting Strikes, I had a near guarantee of dealing 4 melee hits between Monster turns. That proved effective since most Monsters had 8 life or less.

Holy Aura was huge to prevent wounds. Most of wounds I received came from the Backstabber.

Fireballs were great once I had earned enough Heroism to predictably be able pay 2 magic to get the big exploding fireball. The side damage was a good way to deal with the Freezes that made it to town while still focusing attacks on the big Monsters.

Because I took very few wounds, I almost never used Frenzy. In retrospect this card slowed my deck down more than anything else. I certainly never paid to keep it in play. In contrast I paid every turn to keep Holy Aura. The second Seal was probably excessive too.

I used the Mayor as often as I could to make big attack turns.

I didn't make a full list of the Villagers I bought, but the Gravedigger, Prince and Priest definitely made it in my town. All very useful. The Gravedigger dug out at least 2 Corpses.

I think the tipping point happened around the time I earned my 5th Heroism. At that point I knew I had enough fire power to deal with incoming threats while also being able to buy my way to victory if needed. Even if the tension dropped a little, the game was nonetheless very enjoyable. And throwing that big exploding fireball is always a blast!

PS: I played 1st edition cards with 2nd edition rules, and used the 1st edition Glacien scenario

While the four Berserker cards form a really tight synergy with each other - gaining Wounds and then managing/using them in powerful ways - the Berserker and Paladin form what I call antergy, or what's more commonly called a nonbo. Full Paladin is strong, full Berserker is strong, but cross-classing between the two runs into issues, because the abilities work at cross-purposes.
It's definitely a place where the solo play hits a limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tbollaert wrote:

There are some notable differences to the 2nd edition cards. Particularly might must be returned to the market if the prowess is spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SolarJ wrote:
tbollaert wrote:

There are some notable differences to the 2nd edition cards. Particularly might must be returned to the market if the prowess is spent.

Yes, I am aware of that, and that what's I mean by playing 1st ed cards with 2nd ed rules. Specifically, I played with the rules listed here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24033205

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Douglas
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I enjoyed your session report. Another significant difference of note is the Priest is much weaker in 2nd edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
douglasiv wrote:
I enjoyed your session report.

Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you liked the report. I played yesterday vs the Necromancers and will post a session report soon.

douglasiv wrote:
Another significant difference of note is the Priest is much weaker in 2nd edition.

What is the Pilgrim's power in the 2nd ed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
In 1st edition the priest removed 2 monster power instead of just 1. His ability to send a card from the monster power area to the bottom of the deck remained unchanged though. He's still one of the more useful travelers IMO, but he was really good in 1st ed. for low player counts (removing 2 monster power is huge).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
coblackmagus wrote:
In 1st edition the priest removed 2 monster power instead of just 1. His ability to send a card from the monster power area to the bottom of the deck remained unchanged though. He's still one of the more useful travelers IMO, but he was really good in 1st ed. for low player counts (removing 2 monster power is huge).

Yeah, if you bought the Priest right away in a 2-player game it was basically "Every two rounds the monsters lose a turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.