Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mb
On the player aid it says to draw a card during the mythos phase, but in both the rulebooks they says to draw a card AND gain a ressource, which one is correct?

How do mind over matter works? Can you convert symbols both ways? Can you convert both your initial stat and symbols you use to boost a skill check?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are reading the wrong part of the aid I think. The part that says draw an encounter card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
During the Mythos phase you draw an Encounter card. During the Upkeep phase you draw a Player card and gain a resource.

Mind Over Matter allows you to use your Intellect skill in place of both your Combat and Agility skills for skill checks during the same round that you play it. So for that one round Daisy Walker (for example) can attack or evade for a base value of 5 instead of 2 and 2, respectively. It's not such a great card for Roland Banks, though.

And yes, if you are using Intellect to fight or evade (per Mind Over Matter's ability), you need to use that same icons (i.e. Intellect) to boost your check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Ah yes, I was looking at the wrong place on the player aid, weird.

Thanks for the explanation on mind over matter, the question did came up because it was not so good with Roland actually, wondering why he would benefit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
couteaupapillon wrote:
Thanks for the explanation on mind over matter, the question did came up because it was not so good with Roland actually, wondering why he would benefit

He really doesn't. When you're actually building your own deck, that's the first card that's going to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Looking ahead to the first deluxe expansion, Mind Over Matter would be completely worthless for Guardian investigator Zoey Samaras. Her combat is better than her Intellect and her Agility is exactly the same. This is where customizing individual investigator's decks is going to become much more essential to success.

Definitely a second Core Set for me, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Mind Over Matter is a Seeker card. It should be an awful card for Guardians, since their cards boost Fight anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theoretically, it might come in handy if you're currently suffering a dastardly penalty to either Combat or Agility that turn from a Weakness, Encounter, or Location and you REALLY need to pass one of those checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mb
I can see it would help if you have a lot of cards that boost intellect test. it's included in roland starter deck and reading it felt like one of those cards ffg put in decks for you to figure out you have to remove them for a better choice, teasing you into deckbuilding i suppose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
It's in Roland's starting deck because every Seeker card in his his starting deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, every starting deck is like that. Each contains all twenty class cards, 2x flashlight, 2x knife, 2x Cache, then doubles of two types of Skill card.

A little rule interaction regarding the card draw at Upkeep Phase. The summary mentions you draw a card and a resource (all one sentence). However, there's further explanation which specifies that you draw one card, then draw a resource after. This is important if you draw into Paranoia as a basic weakness (immediately discard all resources).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.