Popular Tags: [View All]
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I taught ourselves how to play San Juan. And typical of self-taught games, we realized after quite some time that we had actually been playing it incorrectly. However, we feel that *our* version was much better!

The only difference is with the Craftsman role. We played that we had to produce from cards in OUR HAND. The official rules state that you draw a card and place it face down on your production building. Instead, we were forced to make agonizing decisions about which cards to pull from our hand to use as production items.

After a while, we realized our mistake and began playing the "right" way, only to feel that our way made the game much more exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hayter

Metuchen
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes indigo useless, however, since it costs a card from your hand to produce it and you can't gain more than a card back in your hand for selling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I suppose Indigo still has utility then as a card swapper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sapp
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our players last night kept trying to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
My wife and I taught ourselves how to play San Juan. And typical of self-taught games, we realized after quite some time that we had actually been playing it incorrectly. However, we feel that *our* version was much better!

There's some familiarity aspect that makes you think it is even though it probably isn't. It happens all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
Skadar wrote:

There's some familiarity aspect that makes you think it is even though it probably isn't. It happens all the time.

I have to agree with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the "familiarity" statement as well. And it is doubtlessly true. However, those who understand the mechanics of San Juan might see how "discarding" cards from your own hand during production could add a whole lot of decision-making tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Forrest
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm... I could only imagine maybe trying this as a variant under one condition: When you sell, you get +1 to the selling price for each good.

Otherwise Producing/Trading becomes hopelessly inferior to other income buildings like the Prefecture, Library, Carpenter, Quarry, etc...

Oh, and also your variant sounds like it would (as you've described it so far) make the Black Market completely worthless. So you'd have to give the Black Market some kind of bonus as well to make it useful again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
What happens when you don't have any cards in your hand?

By the way, it's Producer, not Craftsman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
W4st wrote:
Hmm... I could only imagine maybe trying this as a variant under one condition: When you sell, you get +1 to the selling price for each good.
Even with this fix, it's still inferior, because you lose a card before you gain it back...so you are still out a card for a few rounds.

I'm with W4st. This would unbalance the game, the production buildings are pretty well balanced with the violet buildings as-is. Paying a card to produce would weaken them a lot, so there would really be no point in using production any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
I agree with the "familiarity" statement as well. And it is doubtlessly true. However, those who understand the mechanics of San Juan might see how "discarding" cards from your own hand during production could add a whole lot of decision-making tension.

I'm pretty sure I would just never produce. Unless I had a silver smelter and a black market, maybe sometimes I would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the detractors -- this makes production buildings prohibitively weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, this variant takes out one of my favorite aspects of the game. As you produce, you take cards from the deck. Because cards from the deck are cycled (from production and then to the discard pile when you trade), you don't know what has been cycled through. Just recently in a game I played with my wife, she never got the chance to see the Triumphal Arch (and this after building the statue, column, and hero). I had buried on of the Triumphal Arches under my chapel, but if she had gotten the other one, I would have lost!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls