Popular Tags: rather_pointless [+] [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly enjoy playing Pandemic but never suggest playing it when I have friends over my home that are new to gaming (that is if someone brought it since I don't own a copy yet). I do see this game a lot on lists for "Gateway" games but I feel that being labeled a Gateway game somehow diminishes Pandemic.

What's you opinion? Is Pandemic (prime) a "Gateway" game in you eyes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you going to repeat this question in many more forums? You might get a better response in General Gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just here and the other place.
Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely was a gateway game for my daughter and sister-in-law. More challenging than TTR or Carc, but the tension that can ratchet up in a game really is a powerful hook for some people (including me).

I think it is an ideal gateway game, with the caveat that if alpha gaming happens try a non-coop, or if the difficulty is a big turn-off then try one of the "Forbidden" games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think vanilla Pandemic is a great gateway game. There are some folks I know who play a lot of gin rummy, and I can bring star realms to the table with them, but pandemic is pushing the limits. But with everyone else, with gaming "potential", I'll pull this out and they love it.

The action reference cards and having a knowledgeable player guiding you both make it pretty easy to get into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for people only familiar with Monopoly and Clue, Pandemic may be pushing the edges a bit. It has a lot of unfamiliar moving parts, with weird card draws, Action Points instead of dice rolls and is coöperative. As a next step after Catan, TTR and Carc, sure, once a person is aware there is another way to play games other than rolling a dice and moving that many spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taught and played regular Pandemic with non-gamers without any issues. They enjoyed it, no matter if they won or lost.

The first two games I bought from the FLGS was Pandemic and Ticket To Ride. Nobody taught me how to play, I read the rules myself.

I think it fits well as a gateway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's definitely a "gateway game" in that it's fairly easy to teach, and the fact that it's a co-op.

Co-ops tend to make pretty good introductory games because there is such little pressure to "win" the game from the new players. They ease up on the potential of making a bad move because they understand the more experienced players will be there to help them out and guide them.

A big danger in Pandemic, and it's a danger in a lot of games, is the leader power gaming the entire thing for everyone. I mean, look, I've played this game... probably over 500 times. I looooooove it. When someone new is playing though I try to shut up and let them make their own choices. It's not much fun to just sit there and have another person say, "you should go here and do this and then I'll do this on my turn." Gotta let people learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kift
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you think that the "gateway" label diminishes a game? Many of my favourite games are gateway games, and I'd put at least 15% of the BGG Top 100 in that category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.