Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So in another thread, it was pointed out to me that if China invaded Australia? The USA would help out. Australia's military spend is just outside the worlds top 10, and basically only so we can support US interests politically.

I hear this "what if China invades?" thing now and again and I laugh. At which time the speaker puts on a stern face and says "but they want all your shit"...

Seriously people!! If you want our shit? Bribe a politician and a few business peeps and it's yours for a cool deal.. Which is about 10 000 times cheaper than starting a war with us to get it. Let alone trying to control a belligerent population after you manage to plant the flag..

Europe and the Mid-east has had a bunch of wars over time because no body sorted out the political/ethnic borders properly. I think there was a WAR in central America at some point over a football result too.. But it's very rare to spend the money on swinging steel punches to get something you can just buy.. Obviously if you want something and people embargo you, you'll need to fight to get it.. But other than Uranium I guess, pretty sure Australia is open for business..

No reason to cross our sandy threshold that can't be done by greasin' a few palms..

..and the last time Australia asked the USA for military help, they politely declined telling us they were busy.. Obviously when the Philippines fell they changed their mind. But Just sayin'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"and the last time Australia asked the USA for military help, they politely declined telling us they were busy"

you forgot americans have to be fashionably late to the party else they lose the war. You should have sent the invites a year earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: China to start the invasion tomorrow and an Hour later also.
Well, 'pre-empt' China and "INVADE New Zealand!" Neither shall expect THAT! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:

Seriously people!! If you want our s...? Bribe a politician and a few business peeps and it's yours for a cool deal.. Which is about 10 000 times cheaper than starting a war with us to get it.

This is very true. One thing the great powers have learned is that total war is expensive. Small wars, they're ok because they are played out in little countries with nothing to lose for the instigators.

That's why economic and political actions are the real battleground now. Immigration is one of them - slow moving, but potent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
So in another thread, it was pointed out to me that if China invaded Australia? The USA would help out. Australia's military spend is just outside the worlds top 10, and basically only so we can support US interests politically.

I hear this "what if China invades?" thing now and again and I laugh. At which time the speaker puts on a stern face and says "but they want all your shit"...

Seriously people!! If you want our shit? Bribe a politician and a few business peeps and it's yours for a cool deal.. Which is about 10 000 times cheaper than starting a war with us to get it. Let alone trying to control a belligerent population after you manage to plant the flag..

Europe and the Mid-east has had a bunch of wars over time because no body sorted out the political/ethnic borders properly. I think there was a WAR in central America at some point over a football result too.. But it's very rare to spend the money on swinging steel punches to get something you can just buy.. Obviously if you want something and people embargo you, you'll need to fight to get it.. But other than Uranium I guess, pretty sure Australia is open for business..

No reason to cross our sandy threshold that can't be done by greasin' a few palms..

..and the last time Australia asked the USA for military help, they politely declined telling us they were busy.. Obviously when the Philippines fell they changed their mind. But Just sayin'

They're vastly more likely to go after Taiwan than Australia, at least at first.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: China to start the invasion tomorrow. N.K. in "RD2"
Meanwhile in "Red Dawn Reboot" it is North Korea that "invaded" around the Spokane locale of which is NO *Secret* Doubly "NUTS!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Non-issue. China would just buy what they wanted. Probably several times over. That's the way it's working out here anyway. Granted, it's rather a longer trip to get here and the US would probably be obliged to act more quickly and effectively for obvious reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Shit! He's not kidding! They've taken Walmart already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Theater chains are being overrun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus as China's military is currently constructed, it has limited ability to project power beyond its own border.

It has limited bases outside its borders
It has limited amphibious capability
It has limited airlift capability

A Chinese invasion of Australia is firmly in the realm of Fiction in 2016
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Dude the invasion is almost over.

Google: China Australia farmland agriculture.

Should add: Google news. Not a straight web search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
What about Monsanto being "taken over" by Germans? surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
What about Monsanto being "taken over" by Germans? surprise

For no particular reason, reminded me of this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
American Military doctrine - Shock and awe fill the air with 10, 000 bullets at $X dollars a pop to provide corporate welfare for the military industrial complex.

Chinese military strategy.

Day 1 - 1 million Chinese invade Alaska - surrender.
Day 2 - 1 million Chinese invade Alaska - surrender
Day 3 - 1 million Chinese invade Alaska - surrender
.Day 12 - 1 million Chinese invade Alaska - surrender

Day 13 Bankrupt Alaska do to international laws on treatment of pows.

Year one All settle in New york or someplace with less snow and make a it chinese statellite state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never spent so much time thumbing Mr Koldfoot's posts..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:

Seriously people!! If you want our s...? Bribe a politician and a few business peeps and it's yours for a cool deal.. Which is about 10 000 times cheaper than starting a war with us to get it.

This is very true. One thing the great powers have learned is that total war is expensive. Small wars, they're ok because they are played out in little countries with nothing to lose for the instigators.

That's why economic and political actions are the real battleground now. Immigration is one of them - slow moving, but potent.

Well Chris, come to Australia and explain that to all our old people please. There is a real fear of the Chinese here in some sections of our community.
And as someone pointed out above, they have no ability what so ever to project their power.. If they can't walk there, they are not coming. Just ask Tibet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
.... I think there was a WAR in central America at some point over a football result too..

Side note: Just in case you want to read up on that I can recommend this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's credible that an armed naval based invasion will be successful in this age of cruise missles and nuclear weapons.

It is credible that they may buy everything in sight. And if they follow policies in Tibet, they might immigrate and then push you out of existed and genocide your culture slowly over time.

I'm not sure china could really run a government spanning multiple continents tho. it seems like a new colonial period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think China knows that the 21st century is theirs. If they don't do anything rash, they'll be the dominant world power by 2100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The same thing was said of japan in the 1980s.

Trees don't grow to the sky.

China has a lot of problems.

If everything goes perfectly for them, they could be the dominant power later in the century. Probably after most of us are dead. How often does everything break perfectly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.