Subject: More Ship Designs? (Amazing Capital Ships) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Dent
Canada
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok these are all capital class ships. But there are some really beautiful ships. Might spark some imaginations.

http://www.tilesorstuds.com/p/best-capital-ships.html

I hesitated on whether to post this here. But I figure if there's any group that will appreciate these, it's the folks on this forum.

Who knows, considering all the variants we've got - these might end up leading somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
think they might be a bit big dude, bigger than the mapboard in some instances!

Plus moving a 68kg ship might prove a bit cumbersome..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Dent
Canada
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
think they might be a bit big dude, bigger than the mapboard in some instances!

Plus moving a 68kg ship might prove a bit cumbersome..

I never intended these for use in the game as-is! That would be insane!

No I was thinking these might be inspiration for 3D models in game scale. But they would still be a completely different class of ship. More inline with the Alliance Cruiser than anything else.

Capital ships expansion?

Really the relevance to the game here is pretty questionable as I implied. But there's still some very nice looking ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cool looking models in there. I recognize a lot of them.

Way back, I used to play Freelancers with a clan on a custom server that some guy had set up. It pretty much contained ships, planets, and lore from every sci-fi in existence all combined into one huge universe. Once a clan got to a certain size, they could claim a system (which was custom designed to the clans specifications), complete with custom ships for the fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
That is a good idea the Alliance Cruiser and the Operatives Corvette are Capitol ships, and the Reaver cutter is comparable in size to the Corvette. I have a design for the Mountain a ship in the Operatives fleet at the end of Serenity and their are several ships on Firefly Online that would be classed as far bigger than the Firefly series. With a bit of work and and the feed back on the forum this is a workable idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Dent
Canada
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow I figured you would be inspired Adam.

Thinking a wee bit more about this whole mad idea. This could bring in a very much more fleet engagement type of play. Even stepping back to the rebellion war possibly for a setting. There's a real challenge though because that's almost like a whole game on top of a game. Re-using the existing board.

Taking this to that extreme - I'm not even sure where to begin in terms of gameplay. Anyone have any saner ideas? Or a starting point for this madness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Yes the mechanic will need some thought to fit into the game I'm not one to try and change the game mechanic, it's one of the reason so many love this game. Possibly a dock for smaller ships too or a new jobs deck. There could also be a supply feature with either its own supply deck or for player control, picking up say three supply cards from a location face down to sell on the larger ship. There is a lot that could be done with this style of variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
So this thread was started by another but I have been toying with it for some time and finally have a workable idea to share with you all. I started with ships of the Firefly Universe of which there are many to choose from, I began with the idea that the capital ships should be able to be both NPC and player controlled. I also imagined them as ports of call them selves though far more limited. They would be more lumbering and less able to make coarse corrections (so you must move in one general direction without changing coarse mid-burn). I started on 5 Capitals to this point: the Mountain, Alliance warship; the Blue Sun Super Freighter; the El Dorado Cruse ship; the Imperial Space Emporium; and the Verge Heavy cargo transport. With the Mountain if you are solid with Harkin or possibly a new Alliance contact (any suggestions?) you would be able to buy Alliance goods such as weapons and Intel. the Blue Sun would carry ship upgrades and drive cores. the El Dorado a Cruse liner would have crew, a wide variety ne'er-do-wells to fill your ship to include a former Operative. The space Emporium would stock the finery of the core, clothes and tech. Finally the Verge cargo transport would have gear, non-Alliance weapons and other less legal equipment. The reason I have split it all up by ship is if you are controlling a Cap you have easy access to the items on your ship. But you are also limited by the items on that ship, so if you have gear you don't have crew and vice versa. For NPC Caps you must first be solid (once again to an existing contact or a new one) to purchase from the Caps. Or with the player controlled you must haggle with the Captain. Hoping to have a workable prototype by the time "crime & punishment" comes out. Input is always appreciated, until then I will keep working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Dent
Canada
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
norseknight wrote:
So this thread was started by another but I have been toying with it for some time and finally have a workable idea to share with you all. I started with ships of the Firefly Universe of which there are many to choose from, I began with the idea that the capital ships should be able to be both NPC and player controlled. I also imagined them as ports of call them selves though far more limited. They would be more lumbering and less able to make coarse corrections (so you must move in one general direction without changing coarse mid-burn). I started on 5 Capitals to this point: the Mountain, Alliance warship; the Blue Sun Super Freighter; the El Dorado Cruse ship; the Imperial Space Emporium; and the Verge Heavy cargo transport. With the Mountain if you are solid with Harkin or possibly a new Alliance contact (any suggestions?) you would be able to buy Alliance goods such as weapons and Intel. the Blue Sun would carry ship upgrades and drive cores. the El Dorado a Cruse liner would have crew, a wide variety ne'er-do-wells to fill your ship to include a former Operative. The space Emporium would stock the finery of the core, clothes and tech. Finally the Verge cargo transport would have gear, non-Alliance weapons and other less legal equipment. The reason I have split it all up by ship is if you are controlling a Cap you have easy access to the items on your ship. But you are also limited by the items on that ship, so if you have gear you don't have crew and vice versa. For NPC Caps you must first be solid (once again to an existing contact or a new one) to purchase from the Caps. Or with the player controlled you must haggle with the Captain. Hoping to have a workable prototype by the time "crime & punishment" comes out. Input is always appreciated, until then I will keep working.

Ports of Call is interesting. I like the thinking overall on having each ship have a certain type of goods. And your course direction limitation makes some sense. But given those two handicaps, how would you resolve your crew shortage if you didn't have crew on your vessel?

I'm intrigued by the idea of supplies and crew moving around instead of being stationary at a planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
norseknight wrote:

With the Mountain if you are solid with Harkin or possibly a new Alliance contact (any suggestions?) you would be able to buy Alliance goods such as weapons and Intel.

How about Legal work - For the Alliance? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
For the alliance contact legal work was my preferred contact to be solid with I'm still working on possibly using existing contacts or creating new contacts for the other ships but thank you for the go-ahead. As for the crew shortage my thought was with capital ships the starting crew should be too if not 3 how I plan to rectify that is still up in the air. I have given some thought to a dedicated first officer for each ship whose abilities were in line with the core properties of the specific ship. And of course like any other ship the Caps can make port and hire a crew and equipment from the existing Supply decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Still working to fill the supply decks but here is a sample of the Caps and their perspective card deck as well as dedicated first mate for each:
the Mountain

Drive

First Mate

Supply deck

Gear card

Blue Sun

Drive

First Mate

Supply deck

Gear card

Space Emporium

Drive

First Mate

Supply deck

Gear Card

Cargo hauler

Drive

First Mate

Supply deck

Gear card

El Dorado

Drive

First Mate

Supply deck

Gear card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Dent
Canada
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!!!

Those look AMAZING!

I'm on mobile right now so I have to look over these more in depth later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Dent
Canada
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
norseknight wrote:
Still working to fill the supply decks but here is a sample of the Caps and their perspective card deck as well as dedicated first mate for each:
the Mountain

Drive

First Mate

Supply deck

Gear card

I like the crew restriction.

I don't quite understand the verbiage "consider" on the CSS contract. I'm presuming this directed at uncovering Fake IDs and Hacking Rigs?

norseknight wrote:
Blue Sun

Drive

First Mate

Supply deck

Gear card

Looks solid.

norseknight wrote:
Space Emporium

Drive

First Mate

Supply deck

Gear Card

Love the theme on this one! I'm wondering if "May work jobs without shuttle" shouldn't be balanced by it taking an extra action to complete? But I would want to try it this way first to see. Perhaps the solution is to give the Blue Sun and Mountain each another counterbalancing perk.

norseknight wrote:
Cargo hauler

Drive

First Mate

Supply deck

Gear card

I'm starting to get the feel that not requiring shuttles has to do with existing infrastructure in established ports of call. Which makes some sense. But unloading operations on massive ships have to take some time.

norseknight wrote:
El Dorado

Drive

First Mate

Supply deck

Gear card

That's an interesting ship. I'm wondering if it shouldn't have a further limitation to cargo. Perhaps one dedicated shuttle. And four cargo. So the user of this card is genuinely forced to transport passengers. Maybe the fifth cargo could be a hidden berth for a fugitive. With some mechanic requiring a die roll of "6" to discover.

--

Overall the entire set is off to a good start. The changing direction limitation may require more explanation. But I get the concept - a large ship is going to suffer a maneuverability penalty. Perhaps they should also have longer "legs" so to speak. Being they are much larger ships, they may be able to have a drive core orders of magnitude larger than the smaller ships. So perhaps an extra burn for some (like the mountain and blue sun that don't have the shuttle exemption) can be 6 or 7 if you pay a fuel. Of course you still have a high probability of being stopped by a card.

I'm also thinking capital ships should cost 2 or more parts to repair. Meaning they might be immobilized for a while if they are caught lacking. This could lead to a "roadside assistance" type of action.

There's so much room to play with this kind of variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for pointing that out I had wondered about the wording on that one. I had thought about a restriction on loading and unloading cargo but with the movement restrictions and a speed over 3 I just thought it might be too much. The shuttle thing is because the going in plan was that there would be a restriction on jobs, my plan was to also add 2 new shuttles. One longer range shuttle and the afas the would be able to go in a new cargo hold, hanger. The Hanger key word on some of the ship instead of the cargo hold was the idea behind that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Dent
Canada
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Further thoughts about the El Dorado...

I'm wondering if there should not be an added mechanic that makes passengers attractive to all of the ships. But the rewards might vary based on the satisfaction with their accommodations and response to events during flight. So encountering reavers could disgruntle your (remaining) passengers!

I was thinking that for "cruising" there could be a chance (die roll) based happiness reward. Maybe a few cards that give automatic pass on that check. Cards based on an entertainment of some sort such as a "Cocktail Party" or "Live Performance" that provide a guaranteed success on rolls for a few turns. Or ship upgrades that improve your odds as long as you have them. Something like "Licensed Lounge" or "Hot Tub." To that end, the El Dorado may have an advantage like coming with some of these upgrades to further balance the passenger focus.

This could even leak over into crew cards. Having passenger related crew roles and some keywords related to passengers perhaps. "Hospitality" would be one. I think companion pretty much counts as Hospitality too. But I'm thinking roles such as "cruise director" or "passenger liaison" or even "entertainer" (singer, dancer, etc.)

Correspondingly, on the heavily cargo laden ships there could be "cargo master" or "load management" roles. Keyword might be "logistics." Perhaps the benefit here is an increase in profit on a cargo run and/or reduce loading/unloading time. I really do think it should take a capital ship more than one turn in port to unload and reload.

You could have some fun with the family dynasty by adding a "family" keyword that gives you a bonus for acquiring more family crew members.

Sorry, pretty much a random thought dump. But I hope some of it has merit. Also, you seem to have some decent conceptual ideas already. So if any of this doesn't align with what you're trying to do - just disregard. I'm basically just brainstorming out loud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.