Subject: The Sheriff and Payout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hofer
United States
Fond du Lac
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hello. I just purchased this game and have a question about the 4th Phase of the game, Inspection. When inspecting the bags, if the Sheriff finds that you were telling the truth, the rules say, "the Sheriff must pay you Gold equal to the Penalty on every Legal Good in your bag." My question... is the money coming directly from the Sheriff from his/her own pile of coins, or does that money come from the Bank? Also, if the Sheriff is the one who pays, what happens if that player is out of coins? Where does the rest of the coins come from? The Bank?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Sheriff, there is no 'bank' in this game, the left over coins aren't used again until scoring. If the player can't pay, the intended recipient loses out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Quach
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes the money comes from the sheriff. The way I was told, read and possibly from the rulebook is that once you are out of money you pay with legal goods to the best of your ability. No going over. If you don't have any items left at all around your board than you don't need to pay at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules state as above leading to the possibility that the sheriff doesn't pay if out of coins and goods.

However, we play it that you get money from the bank for legal goods when you put them in your store. (Money for Contraband at end of game.)

That way it is unlikely the sheriff will be out of coins during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MagicCoffee2284 wrote:
Yes the money comes from the sheriff. The way I was told, read and possibly from the rulebook is that once you are out of money you pay with legal goods to the best of your ability. No going over. If you don't have any items left at all around your board than you don't need to pay at all.

Haven't played in a while, but I'm pretty sure it's not "no going over" but rather "no change given" so you may have to give more than what is owed if you have to pay in goods.

The problem with "if the Sheriff can't pay, then the Sheriff doesn't have to pay and you get nothing" is that a Sheriff with essentially no money could just open every bag presented in the hopes of catching illegal goods without much risk.
There is also the problem of timing. The broke Sheriff is going to open two bags. He opens my legal bag and ends up owing me 10 gold, which he can't pay because he's broke. He then opens your bag full of contraband and you owe him 12 gold. Does he end up keeping the 12 gold while I get nothing, or do I get 10 gold and he keeps 2, which is the result if he opened your bag first and my bag second?
Maybe this is a moot point since it's very unlikely to be so broke in both goods and gold that you can't pay a fine with some combination of gold and goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
I'm not sure where you folks heard you have to pay goods if you're out of coins, but the rulebook explicitly states a player with no coins pays nothing. If that's a variant, it's an interesting one but... Not great.
And regarding the whole "Broke sheriff checks every bag" thing, nobody's going to put illegal goods in and risk them against someone with nothing to lose. If they do, they deserve the penalty.

(And the order of the bags matters, Pat. In that scenario, you would get nothing from the sheriff as he had nothing to pay you at the time of the penalty. Penalties don't "carry over" like that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know which version of the rules you're looking at, but here's a direct quote from page 11, section titled "Running out of gold":

Quote:
It is possible that you will run out of Gold coins during the game. You cannot offer Gold for bribes if you do not have the coins to pay.

If you cannot pay a Penalty you owe, you must give the player Legal Goods from your Merchant Stand with a value at least equal to the amount you owe. (this may mean you give more value than you owe, but you won’t receive change for the excess.) If you do not have enough Legal Goods, you must reveal and hand over Contraband to make up the difference. The player who received the Goods may then add them to their Market Stand.

If you have exhausted all the Goods and contraband in your Market Stand to pay a debt, any left over debt is considered paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.