Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Krakoff
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm looking for a recommendation on a heavier euro that has the ability to scale lighter. The plan is to have something I can really enjoy with the game group and also use it with the family. Now I do have a "gaming" family so the wife and 2 kids understand general game mechanisms. For reference, games we play at home range from Splendor, Catan, and Stone Age with the kids and my wife plays up to probably Viticulture with Tuscany comfortably. The game group will go as heavy as needed.

Some will say just to buy 2 games, which is completely valid, but I'm also looking to see if I can get them in on the ground floor and work towards the full game. Curious, if any games out there fit the bill. Ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola - at least the original edition I have - scales in difficulty from the "family game" to the regular (advanced) version. But it's not a LOT simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Krakoff
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RenaissanceMom wrote:
Agricola - at least the original edition I have - scales in difficulty from the "family game" to the regular (advanced) version. But it's not a LOT simpler.

Thanks! This was my first instinct and where I am currently leaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue has family rules and advanced rules which you can add individually or in any combination.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrakoff wrote:
RenaissanceMom wrote:

Thanks! This was my first instinct and where I am currently leaning.

That was my first thought as well.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cortnik
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think Fresco is phenomenal in this regard. The theme and mechanics are family oriented (as most of Queen Games' products are) and yet it is very strategic, medium weight, and a lot of fun. Very satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Seasons doesn't change its core rules, there are 3 levels of complexity you can play on:

• The lowest complexity level excludes the more complex cards and uses balanced pre-constructed decks.

• The medium complexity level still excludes the same more complex cards, but instead of having pre-constructed decks, the game now follows the regular rules of having a card drafting phase before the game actually begins. This not only adds way more strategic depth, but also replay value.

• The highest complexity level also has a drafting phase and now uses all cards.

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, as the game is even on the lowest complexity level still not a "light" game because of all the different cards and their effects, but I wanted to mention the game anyway, because it's great. It also looks really great: the illustrations are fantastic, the components very colourful.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Agricola are the other two games I was thinking of. Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition) also comes with a bunch of rulebooks (4, I think ?), each providing a different weight to the game, but regarding the theme it's not really family-friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Lords of Waterdeep may be a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Just a quick note to say that although there's no note of it in the rule book, the appendix that comes with Agricola (revised edition) does include instructions to play without the cards to act like the "family" variant of the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll be better off with two similar games with different weight.

It could be Sushi Go! that's a pure card draft, and after that 7 Wonders, then one of the expansions like 7 Wonders: Leaders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Through the ages has 3 levels of play.

Mage Knight has scenarios, which change the complexity somewhat (to be honest, base level is kinda high)

Space Alert has training missions, then different difficulties once you get full game. I have heard of sime that just use the training missions, randomised to play.

Galaxy Trucker has different ship boards for different difficulty. Also has suggestions for play with mixed experience levels.

I guess what im trying to say is: Vlaada Chvatil is the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't tried it, but you could probably simplify Glass Road by taking out the auto-generation feature, the rules about duplicating cards with other players, and maybe remove the stack of alternate win-condition tiles (maybe split the processing deck into two and use half to fill the empty row). If you wanted to go extra-light, you could even reduce the cards down to just the simple ones (with no cost to play).

One advantage with Glass Road is that it's a fairly short game. There might not be much value in slimming down a heavy game if it still plays for 3 hours. That's a bit long for your average kid.

I think the developer of Limes has some published rules for more complicated scoring methods. And, one of the reviewers has a kids variant to make it easier.

I've only played Castellion, of the Oniverse games, but I believe that all of the games in the series have varying levels of complexity/difficulty. Though, even at its heaviest, Castellion isn't all that heavy. But the other games in the series might be heavier. (They all cap out at 2 player, though.)

Other than that, I don't have anything. But there are a slew of games that have simple rules (Go, Hive, Intrigue, Patchwork, etc.) and the difficulty in the game comes from your opponents. So, if they're willing to dial it down, then you'll be safe. So you might also look into a few games like those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Krakoff
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses! Lots to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
I haven't tried it, but you could probably simplify Glass Road by taking out the auto-generation feature, the rules about duplicating cards with other players, and maybe remove the stack of alternate win-condition tiles (maybe split the processing deck into two and use half to fill the empty row). If you wanted to go extra-light, you could even reduce the cards down to just the simple ones (with no cost to play).

One advantage with Glass Road is that it's a fairly short game. There might not be much value in slimming down a heavy game if it still plays for 3 hours. That's a bit long for your average kid.

I appreciate what you are trying to do here, but making those changes to Glass Road would change it from a game to an activity. I would suggest the OP doesn't go this route (especially with all the other good recs from you and others.)

Also, I agree about game length. If anything, making a 3 hour game simpler would probably make it even less bearable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.