Popular Tags: [View All]
Janus Lin
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm considering getting these minis painted. I currently only own the core set and all of the Wave 1 expansions. I originally envisioned mainly playing the campaign, but thinking more about skirmish... though I haven't played either yet!

Anyway, I'm looking for ideas/ suggestions on how the bases should be painted...
-same color for all figures, whether black (or some other color?)
-color coded in some way by faction
-color coded by regular/elite
-color coded for the entire base or just the edge of the base?
-I assume a plain (not textured) base since figures are in various indoor and outdoor environments?

I realize a lot may be personal preference, and keep in mind that I haven't played the game yet so there is a lot I don't know about the game!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I base all my painted figures, and I try to use different settings for each squad. For example, my Stormtroopers are on desert bases, forest bases, and "indoor" tile like bases. Then I have an empty base that is that base (i.e. a sand/forest/indoor) that I put on that squad's card, so I can tell which one is which. Works really well, and these figures look so good based.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I paint mine black then to around the rim a different color. For example I use red rim to represent elite figures. Then I use blue and green for regular. If I have three set like in the case of the stormtroopers. I painted the extra set of them all black so I can say they are either elite or regular in skirmish. For the unique figures I just paint them black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinfield
msg tools
For me, as a campaign player, I paint all the bases in black (though some people do grey, but IMO a single solid colour is best for everything). You could paint the bases per faction if you really wanted to, but not sure it's really needed.

From there, elites get a red ring. Heroes get a blue ring. Unlockable heroes and villains get a gold ring with metallic paint (99% because I like the look of the paint and wanted excuses to use it).

Ultimately though, it really depends on how you want them to look. I don't think there's any one 'best' option, I think it mainly comes down to personal preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eaton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For all heroes. and most imperial minis with standard 25mm round bases, i have been rebasing on clear acrylic, and like the effect, as you can see the board through them.
The irregular models i havent based yet, but possibly will scenic base them to suit their primary set (snow for Hoth etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
See also Painting the figures' bases?, Painting bases - what is the best idea you've seen?.

Mine are based with wood glue and sand, some are more elaborate. The result is then stained with diluted paint. I don't paint the rims of the bases, I feel the result is messy.

Rebel heroes have gray, allies sand and elites red.

Imperials have gray, sand, elites are red.

Mercenaries have green, elites are red.

The appropriate Return to Hoth figures are white. One Probe Droid is white, and one Stormtrooper group (of 4).

The bases of Bespin Gambit have a more pastel color scheme.

I treat the sleeves on the deployment cards with the same color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fattimiei
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that clear bases are the most scenic and look great on every map,anyway for game purpose I painted the bases according the faction: empire=black merc=grey and rebels=sand (close to the unpainted miniatures). then, like others, I used the rim to differentiate the group (red= elite, then black, white, sand, brown..) I use wooden cube of the same color of the rim to identify each group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janus Lin
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the wide variety of amazing ideas!! Greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use grey for Imperial, orange-red for rebels, green for mercs. I originally used a metallic rim for the elites, but now I'm going to go with a strong darkish red instead since it shows up more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wish I had pics to put up, but here's what I do:

All bases black
Grey rims for grey cards (regular troops)
Red Rims for red cards (elites, heroes, allies, villains)

I like this because it is simple, attractive and functional. Making more specialized bases might look cool sometimes, but it can also look a little goofy. For instance, a Wampa might look cool with a white base or even a base with artificial snow powder, especially since they're restricted to snow maps- but what happens when it enters an interior area? (I know I'm being picky, and I'm not dissing anyone who's done this, as many figures done this way look amazing- I'm just explaining why I personally did not use this method).

As far as other identifiers go-
I sometimes make cosmetic differences between unit groups- for instance, each of the three Stormtrooper groups has a different color of shoulder pad- plain white for G1, Blue for G2, Red for Elites.

I don't always have cosmetic markers to differentiate between regular units when there are more than 1 deployment group, other than numbers on their bases. This isn't typically a problem, though- other than stormtroopers (who do have cosmetic differences) the only ones I can think of right now that have two regular groups are Officers, Probe Droids, and Ugnaughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Patterson
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I paint my bases dark grey with a black rim for a second regular group, and red for elites. The AT-STs however I did brown then added dirt and foliage. For the Tuskens I initially painted the bases grey, but then decided to add sand and dead plants. I mostly did this because of habitat. I also did the Hoth set (minus heroes and HK-47s) Painted the base an ice blue, red rim for elites and snow. I plan on adding the extra AT-ST parts from the general Weiss pack to add as debri. I normally do not paint differences on the units, except I painted the officers differently and added a bit more blood to the elite Wampa, but do you what you like. All that matters is if you like how your figures turn out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just paint the bases black to ensure they don't clash with any of the tiles, and paint a red rim around the elites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Patterson
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are pics of the bases I described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Innes Clatworthy
msg tools

This is how I painted my Stormtroopers. I vary the base colour from red for elites to black and blue for the other groups. I also add 1-3 lines to differentiate the individuals. Each group also has the same colour base material (sand, ash and grass in this case) so its easy to tell one group from the other.

I always paint the base trims red for elite troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
I use neutral tones, so grey and black as I wanted all my bases to match while on the board and I did not want snow troopers with a snowy base wondering round a Star Destroyer for example:

If I need to differentiate squads, I normally change a colour on the miniature, such as shoulder pads.

Imperial Assault - The Grand Inquisitor by Peter Baker, on Flickr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For groups of bad guys, like stormtroopers, I painted the bases a solid red, yellow, and blue, so I had 3 troopers with red, 3 with blue, etc.

I also had some red, yellow, and blue cubes, so when I reveal a troop card, I put the colored cube of their bases on the card and it lets me keep straight which groups belong to which card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.