Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need Christmas gift for me! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Sanders
msg tools
So I've decided to ask the wifey for a cool new board game for Christmas. I really want a 'cool' game - meaning one with interesting pieces (maybe miniatures of some sort), interesting art work on the board, maybe with some cards thrown in. Since it's for Christmas, it can be a bit on the pricey side (i.e., something I might feel a little guilty if I just went out and bought it for myself lol). I'd like it to be playable with 2-4 people as there is my wife, 15 yr old son and 11 yr old daughter. Games that we currently have and enjoy: Carcassone, Settlers of Catan, Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Kingsburg and 7 Wonders (you know, the basics).

Games I thought might fit the bill and would like feedback on these: Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), Star Wars: Imperial Assault or Blood Rage. Plus I am sure there are others that I don't know about and would like to get suggestions on.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Mechs vs. Minions last night and it is a very good, cooperative game. In it you play one of four beautiful painted minions going on various missions against a huge horde of minions that keep spawning. The game has a tutorial and missions become successively more difficult.

It has, pretty much everything you were looking for so you might want to look at it. The next wave begins shipping direct from riot games in mid-December. And, price point isn't crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe look into Scythe, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're thinking about Imperial Assault, also consider Star Wars: Rebellion - lots of nice minis to push around, card play, looks good on the table, playable by 2-4 and definitely on the pricey-er big budget side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Walsh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Mage Knight Board Game. Can be played solo, too, for the times you can't get anyone to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
I played Mechs vs. Minions last night and it is a very good, cooperative game. In it you play one of four beautiful painted minions going on various missions against a huge horde of minions that keep spawning. The game has a tutorial and missions become successively more difficult.

It has, pretty much everything you were looking for so you might want to look at it. The next wave begins shipping direct from riot games in mid-December. And, price point isn't crazy.

+1 for Mechs vs Minions.

I bought it for my son's birthday and we have fun on each session!

I have to warn you though, that you might need to preorder it asap for December shipment before it sold out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually every recommendation so far fits.

But I would put Mage Knight and Rebellion at the end of the list.

Mage Knight might be a bit too heavy (a step between would be a good idea) and I wouldn't play it with four due to the down time.

Rebellion is really a two player game. Yes you can play it with four but... meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dodson
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution: Climate has just come out and while it doesn't have miniatures the artwork is beautiful and it has many nice touches such as the decorated food bags and the large dinosaur meeple turn marker. It can also be played ignoring the Climate rules for a simpler game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sanders
msg tools
So does anyone have any feedback on the three that I mentioned in terms of how they compare?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played them, but they are significantly more complex than the ones your family has enjoyed so far. These are the relative weights (on a 1-5 scale):

Carcassonne 1.94
Catan 2.36
Dominion 2.38
Ticket to Ride 1.88
Kingsburg 2.43
7 Wonders 2.34

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) 3.19
Star Wars: Imperial Assault 3.28
Blood Rage 2.91

I'd recommend one or more of these:

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Lords of Waterdeep
Pandemic
Stone Age
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Summoner Wars: Master Set
Small World
Samurai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anneke Zakoor
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter is a really fun and interactive game that I think would work perfect for a family. Here is the bgg link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39463/cosmic-encounter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QuodDixieDixi wrote:
There's a new party game called Any More Questions that just came out. It's like Cards Against Humanity meets Balderdash. You can download it for free via the website: www.AnyMoreQuestionsGame.com

Spam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.