Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Bistonath
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something for the rag and bone man...
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing Pandemic: Reign of Cthulu (solo) this evening. I have been extremely tired lately, but wanted to get in a game or two. I made a couple mistakes and want some input on how you would handle them.

What do you do if you forget:

1. A step or action that would be to the detriment of the players?

Keep in mind that by the time you realized, you may have taken a few actions past the oversight.

I think continuing without rectifying it is like giving yourself an unfair advantage. In this case I forgot to move the Shoggoths when their symbol appeared on the summon card. I couldn't go back and figure it out.

2. Which character turn or part of the turn it is?

The board gets a little hectic and sometimes between steps, it's easy to lose track of things. You really have no idea where you left off.

In these two examples I restarted the game. I thought it was a pain, but what other choice did I have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you're playing solo, you can do whatever you want. So start over if you think you'll have more fun playing it correctly. Otherwise ignore the mistake.

But playing with other people, I think most mistakes happen when you're playing the game for the first time and aren't quite sure of all the rules. If it were me, I'd start over if I hadn't gotten too far into the game. I've done that several times. If I discovered the mistake late in the game, I'd keep playing without continuing the error and remember to do it the right way the next time I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank de Jong
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sometimes happens to my group(s) on new games too. Our solution? Simple: we just discuss what was done wrong and come up with a fitting solution so that no advantage is gained because of the misinterpretation/forgetting of the rule. None of my group is playing to win above all, we are mainly there to play a nice game and have a fun evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how i handle mistakes entirely depends on the mistake tbh. there's no hard-and-fast rule i live by to take care of situations where i realised i gummed something up. i play a lot of solo as well.

basically if i can revert back to the original board state (minor mistake made not too long ago that i can easily correct? let's just reset that)

maybe i'll simply discard a card i accidentally drew. or draw a card i had forgotten.

really glaring mistake that's been present the whole game? might start over.
almost done with the game? might just push through put an * for the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, we will just come up with some mild penalty and keep on rolling. We likely will not consider a win a "legit" win, but we very rarely see a reason to not just keep playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming time is pretty precious so I usually push on through to the end no matter how egregious the error is. Mistakes just determine how many asterisks I put at the end of my Win or Loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
In general, we will just come up with some mild penalty and keep on rolling. We likely will not consider a win a "legit" win, but we very rarely see a reason to not just keep playing the game.

yeah.. this is pretty much what we do.. but we never penalize the player "in-game", we generally will try to negate the impact of the error as much as possible, and play it correctly going forward.. The player will probably be joking accused of being a cheater for the rest of the game, and be told her/his win gets an "asterisk".

If the error was particularly memorable and specifically attributable to a single player, we'll jokingly name future errors of that type after her/him or have some sort of joking reference to the error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had similar issues the other day when my husband and I decided to play, each using to play, each using two characters. I would go, then he would, then I'd use my second character, than his. We completely forgot that you had FOUR actions per turn, and not three, for half the game, only realizing when his Doctor (Or whoever it is who gets 5 actions) went insane, and drops back to the default number. We'd have noticed sooner if we'd actually had a chance to try and defeat Shoggoths, but they all kept gate jumping before we could get to them anyway! It wasn't going well, and the inadvertent handicap wasn't helping. We decided to just keep playing once we realized, adjusting ourselves to play the darn thing PROPERLY!

If it were me in your shoes, it'd be a tossup. Just do whatever you feel is right- if the game is 'too messed up' to salvage, then ditch it, and remember to play by the correct rules next time! If you feel it'd be a tossup up to that point anyway, and you can finish the game playing it properly, then do so. So you had it a bit easy for one go. Oh well!

I know there have been some instances where we've played a game wrong the first time through, or misunderstood a rule, only to realize later. While this is annoying, I generally don't mind it overmuch so long as everyone was equally playing it wrong. You'll remember to play it right next time, and everyone was at least on an even playing field during the game! I DO mind when I'm doing something wrong and people don't point it out- I don't have a good impression on Imperial Settlers because of this. I completely misunderstood a rule, and my Barbarians went absolutely no where (Something about building, but I don't recall what). Either no one noticed, or didn't bother to point out or help me figure out why I was doing THIS badly, so I spent the entire game essentially doing nothing and getting more and more furious over it. I know we didn't play it right, and it's probably way better than it seemed, but I have such bad feelings over the game I just don't care enough to give it another go! :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a two player, if we got a rule wrong and it was too far back, we just carry on. We've still enjoyed playing it and it was the same for both players in terms of the rules we thought were correct.

If a player missed something and suddenly realises, oh, I meant to do that and forgot and now I'm a bit stuffed, we tend to allow it to be corrected. The person who forgot says to the other, I forgot this. And the other usually says, that's fine, just do it now.

Not agreeing to make things up would be more to do with if it messed up the dyanmics of the game in terms of, well I only did this because you did that, and now you know I have this card, which affects me.

Main thing I think is, have fun and play it the way you are comfy with! If you feel happier restarting solo, cool!

I might not wanna play a 10 hour two player with you though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meunier
United States
Woodstock
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting part of table top gaming is the errors you make. You can't expect to play every game perfectly. And for some games you might be 5 or 10 games in before you realize you've been doin' it wrong this whole time. (Looking at you, Mage Knight.) (We always blame the rule book.)

When my wife and I play we're just as likely to mess up to our disadvantage as to our advantage. "You mean I could have been collecting an extra gold this whole time?" If it's easy to rewind time and fix the error, we do. Or we make up for it some other way. "Oops, I kept that bonus card too long. I'll get rid of it and then skip drawing a card next time to make up for it."

Otherwise we just forget about it and keep playing. We usually prefer to let someone keep an unfair advantage (it wasn't intentional, after all) than interrupt the flow of the game for too long. "The fates have smiled upon thee, my friend. I will be victorious nonetheless!"

And speaking of Mage Knight, regardless of what game we play we usually adopt Mage Knight's policy about playing your turn: if it's still your turn, you can un-do and re-do anything you've done that didn't reveal hidden information (and even then sometimes we allow it, depending on the severity of the error). This tends to reduce anxiety about making errors while you play.

Like others have said, it's not about winning or losing, or even playing correctly. It's about playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rectify to the best of my knowledge and push on - with very very very few exceptions - like if the game no longer make sense to complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're quite adverse to starting over, we'll usually try to make a correction. Especially in a cooperative game where there's not really a cause for anyone to be particularly sore about it.

The only thing that'd call for a restart would be totally losing the game state or an accidental reveal of critical information (Like someone accidentally showing their role card in a social deduction game or the like)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.