Popular Tags: [View All]
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're playing with two players should we take two turns each simulating a 4 player game ? If not the minions seem to be spawning like crazy ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. You're mechs get stronger twice as fast, and you have more flexibility. Most agree the game is actually much easier with 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Nope. You're mechs get stronger twice as fast, and you have more flexibility. Most agree the game is actually much easier with 2p.

Yes and No. The reason here is the limit on cards per mech. If you have all slots filled good you just waste more cards that in aa 4p game could still be used in programming.

But I might still need to get used to 2p games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a blast playing with my 9 year old. We play just one Mech each. It is true that you power up quickly but it's a necessity. You need to be able to turn why direction and have larger range on attacks.

While we are really enjoying the game and are able to actually do quite a bit of damage with just two, we have had to play on ez-mode settings. We just barely scraped by mission 2 with the school having 1 health left at the end. One was from our inexperience, not knowing what would happen when we did something. If we had known, we would've played that part differently.

Anyway, to me, the game seems fairly balanced for two. It seems that it is actually playable at that count and not just a number they include on the side of the box, like do many other co op games do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeeplePeat wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

Yes and No. The reason here is the limit on cards per mech. If you have all slots filled good you just waste more cards that in aa 4p game could still be used in programming.

For the 1st 9 turns, players are literally leveling up twice as fast in 2p vs 4p. It then takes an additional 9 turns for players to max their mechs in a 4p game (assuming no Scrapping, etc.). I've only maxed out my mech in a 2p game once, and the game was well in hand by that time.

If you look around the forum, there are a bunch of players that have played the missions at different player counts, and almost everyone seems to agree that 2p is easiest....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Malo
United States
Lake Park
Florida
flag msg tools
Any dream can take over the world.
badge
The only thing more evil than Cthulhu . . . . Kickstarter Addiction!
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
MeeplePeat wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

For the 1st 9 turns, players are literally leveling up twice as fast in 2p vs 4p. It then takes an additional 9 turns for players to max their mechs in a 4p game (assuming no Scrapping, etc.). I've only maxed out my mech in a 2p game once, and the game was well in hand by that time.

If you look around the forum, there are a bunch of players that have played the missions at different player counts, and almost everyone seems to agree that 2p is easiest....

Granted, I've only played about 12 times with a mix of about 6 different people. But, I've played 6 games at 2p, 1 at 3p, and 5 games at 4p. I've lost at 5 of the 2p games, where I've only lost once at 4p.

Myself, I've found that the game swings much easier the more mechs on the board.

Yes, you're mechs levels up super fast at 2p, but the game is much less forgiving with only 2 mechs on the board. You have to put a lot more thought into your programming and after just one mistake or rough turn, you can get overwhelmed REAL quick!

Having said that, I LOVE this game at any player count (actually prefer it at 2). I think the game is balanced well at all counts, but a little more work goes into the 2p then the almost random, wanton destruction that can take place at 4p games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

An argument based on maxing out a command line is flawed. I've completed all the missions at 2p and about half the extra challenges that may or may not exist... I don't think I have ever maxed out my command line.

Think about omnistomp arguably the best card... But do you want a stack of 3 without Corki and ace pilot in play? Def not.

The key to this game is flexibility and adaptability which the 2 card draft gives you at 2p.

It's about building to a certain level then cont. adapting and switching your line to what you need to do that turn... In 2p you can do this twice as effectively!

I have played this game a lot! At all player counts and without doubt 4p is harder than 2p.

I can give a more detailed analysis but fear I may have already given away too many spoilers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have missed something. How does 2p level up faster than 4p? Drafting is the same in both situations. Deal 10 cards, draft until players have 2 cards. If anything 4p should level faster as in theory more minions would be defeated thus triggering schematic cards faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
I must have missed something. How does 2p level up faster than 4p? Drafting is the same in both situations. Deal 10 cards, draft until players have 2 cards. If anything 4p should level faster as in theory more minions would be defeated thus triggering schematic cards faster.

'Draw 10, Pick two' only counts for the initial draft.

Every other draft is 'Draw 5*, pick until all players have 4' (*Though that 5 can go up when the first player has memory core).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Defending the school is mathematically harder at two players. Still extremely fun but 2 mechs defending 3 fronts and gathering crystals vs 4 mechs gathering and defending. With 4 mechs 3 can defend the school while one collects crystals. Maybe two is better at other missions but level 2 is way harder with 2 mechs then 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JaspeLoedm wrote:
Defending the school is mathematically harder at two players. Still extremely fun but 2 mechs defending 3 fronts and gathering crystals vs 4 mechs gathering and defending. With 4 mechs 3 can defend the school while one collects crystals. Maybe two is better at other missions but level 2 is way harder with 2 mechs then 4.

Spoilers on Mission 2 strategy
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you take time to level up before going to get crystals, it's not that hard. I think Mission 2 is definitely a better one to compare, but two super mechs vs 4 regular mechs isn't necessarily "mathematically" harder. I've only played that particular mission with 3p, but we just monitored the middle for awhile, leveled up until the boards were emptying out, and then pushed all 3 crystals in succession. We're about to start another level, however, that seems similar but more challenging...should be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.