Hide
8 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Mists of Bilehall/Chains that Rust Quests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Wondering at the viability of playing any given quest in these campaigns (other than the finale of either), or are they not designed to be played outside of the campaign? Anyone have experience with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a stadalone quest? Go for it- just make sure you use the tainted cards. Use standard epic play rules (pick your difficulty, buy the right amount of gear/skills, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
So you would suggest definitely do not play it as a basic single quest game. I'm just wondering since I have a random quests list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either I'm not sure what you mean by "basic single quest game" or I didn't make myself clear.

If you want to play a quest from Mists or Chains without playing the rest of the campaign, that is fine, and it works well. However, you should not play without tainted cards, and you should use the instructions included in the base game for setting up standalone quests (starting amounts of gold, XP to go shopping, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
What I meant by basic was "Without experience or gold", starting with whatever comes with a hero class and the starting 15 cards of either overlord deck. Should that be avoided when playing quests from Mists or Chains?

(The reason I ask is because experience has taught me that not all quests are designed for play like this. Dead or Drowning being my prime example with the reinforcement rules spawning in the entire Zombie group after every player's turn)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:
What I meant by basic was "Without experience or gold", starting with whatever comes with a hero class and the starting 15 cards of either overlord deck. Should that be avoided when playing quests from Mists or Chains?

(The reason I ask is because experience has taught me that not all quests are designed for play like this. Dead or Drowning being my prime example with the reinforcement rules spawning in the entire Zombie group after every player's turn)

I think you really shouldn't play them without the tainted cards (it's a game-dynamic changing new mechanism the quests are designed around) but it basically consits of each hero getting 1 additional card.

Also I think you should give the heroes XP to work with, since they are kind of screwed in this expansion, if they can't discard conditions (and healing skills that let you do that cost XP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:

Then I misunderstood your question, but you understood my answer. Even the introduction to Mists starts with the heroes having 1 XP. I wouldn't play any of the quests with less than that.

Chains is full of Act 2 quests- you could try them at base level (I'd say at least 1 XP) but my guess is the heroes will have it really rough.

For either expansion, definitely do not exclude the tainted cards- they are integral to the victory conditions of just about every quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
There was no danger of me not including the Tainted cards, but thank you for the vigilance in ensuring I understood that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.