Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, call me stupid, but from the previews, I got a totally different idea of what the movie was about than what the movie actually is.

After the initial viewing (cause I bought the damn thing)...I gotta say...it was pretty poopy.

I've read a lot of reviews (after I bought and watched...stupid me), and it seems that knowing who the director is plays a big part in if you like it or not. I didn't know who it was, yet I have seen one of his other movies (Pi), and liked it a lot.

From the trailer, I thought it was about a couple that lived for over a thousand years, going from finding the Fountain of Youth, to the female getting some wierd disease, to him looking for a cure in the distant future.

NOT WHAT IT WAS ABOUT! And I think my expectations ruined it. If I wanted an artsy film, I wouldn't go to the theater to see it. I also would have loved a movie like Memento where it is crazy and makes you think.

From what I gather (and most reviews agree), the whole 16th century Spain part of the movie is just from her book, that the main female character calls The Fountain. The second part is the present, and what is actually happening. The future part, may be real, OR part of his madness/spiritual enlightenment to realize that death is a part of life and you need to accept it.

What really sucks for me, is by the end of the movie, nothing is really explained. I felt like the entire movie was up for me to interpret. And that is not what I wanted from THIS movie. I wanted an action movie with a love background, with Jackman trying to save the woman from cancer.

What do you guys think of this film?

EDIT: when I said go to the theater, I say that cause I would have if I had the time...it was a major release. I have the DVD now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw it last night actually.

I too was somewhat disappointed, but maybe for different reasons.

I like a movie where there is stuff left open to interpretation. I love lots of odd, foreign flicks that leave the final Meaning up to the viewer (Cries and Whispers, 8 1/2, Tampopo, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie etc.).

What left me a little cold is that, in the end there really isn't much to interpret. You summed it up pretty well. Kind of an A.S. Byatt meets 2001.

I'm sure a lot of people ended up pretty disappointed--they were rather dishonest in how they marketed the film. We really ought to be used to that by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was one of the best films I've seen in a long time. It lets the viewer make their own interpretations of its ultimate meaning, and of what actually transpired, which lends it a great air of meaning it would surely lose if they had attempted to explain everything in typical hollywood fashion.

See 'Ringu' and 'Ju On' as two perfect examples of decent movies completely destroyed when 'americanized' by the addition of superfluous, and ultimately meaningless explanations. An unstoppable, unappeasable evil being is far more scary than one that just needs to be put back in its box.

Anyways, I'll propose the 'future' bits were plausable (within the movie) because of the story of the farmer's father's spirit being part of a tree, the wife getting a seed of said tree, and the researcher having found the rejuvenating qualities of the tree. Then he buries her, plants the seed on her grave. Later he must have used the serum on himself, and seeing all that transpired, in the far future made the trip to the 'underworld'.

Of course it didn't matter, 'cause he misunderstood that the tree does grant immortality, but only by dying and becoming a part of it.

Or you could just view it as a tragic love story set amongst a great deal of eye candy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen 'Ringu' and 'Ju On' so I can't compare.

What I saw in the trailer, and what the movie actually is, are two totally different things. Which really ends up being why I was so disappointed.

If I hadn't seen the trailer, I wouldn't know what to expect.

Quote:
It lets the viewer make their own interpretations of its ultimate meaning, and of what actually transpired

I would be fine with interpreting its meaning, the problem is I am not sure what really happened in the movie or not. Was the future portion real? Or was he just crazy and it was all in his head? I can believe in eternal life in a movie, but if it is real, how does that get you to being able to make a bubble floating through space? Two totally different things. One you are immortal, the second you have some serious super powers.

Also, the only reason I understood that the 16th century portion was really just the book portion, is because I read some other people's comments.

I guess I just wanted it to be a story told to me. I found it to be a great idea, but absolutely NOTHING is for sure. So for this viewer, I saw this:

Here is time period 1: might or might not be true
Here is time period 2: true (as far as I know)
Here is time period 3: might or might not be true

And after typing that, I get this: A man was in love with a woman so much it drove him crazy. Everything else was a fiction of his imagination, and eternal life really had nothing to do with it.

That makes me even more angy now, cause that is what I wanted it to be about. That is what the trailer hinted at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:
I can believe in eternal life in a movie, but if it is real, how does that get you to being able to make a bubble floating through space? Two totally different things. One you are immortal, the second you have some serious super powers.

Why assume that he made the bubble? If he really is immortal (or close enough), he may well have lived long enough to just buy one off the lot.

How's that saying go? 'Any sufficiently advanced technology would appear as magic to someone less advanced?'

I know what you mean by trailers though, which is why I try to ignore them. They are pretty much always heavily manipulated by the marketing weasels.

Here's a great example: http://tinyurl.com/3byqru

Personally I thought the trailer for this one was very vague and didn't say much of anything about the plot. So it looks there was plenty of room for interpretation there as well.

Anymore, I rely far more on word of mouth and reviews by critics I trust, the studios themselves are entirely too non-objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls