Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Haviland
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the release of companion apps for Mansions of Madness: Second Edition and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), and possibly apps for Star Wars: Imperial Assault and Specter Ops, does anyone see potential or practicality for apps supporting face-to-face wargaming or would you rather the entire game be ported to mobile platforms and Steam?

It seems to me that simple apps that implemented scenario generation, LOS, random events, and more advanced apps that facilitated FOW and solitaire play for CDGs like Empire of the Sun and For the People would be welcome, but is the juice worth the squeeze?

I only know of the Random Scenario Generator for Combat Commander: Europe. Anyone know of any others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mhaviland2 wrote:
Anyone know of any others?

Well... I did a Visual Basic application to take care of all the march attrition and combat results for Napoleon at Bay: The Campaign in France and other Kevin Zuckers operational Napoleonic games. But that was a long time ago, in 1995... Yet they still do work even on Win7 systems.

I also dabbled in various play aids for SPI and Task Force Games, but these date from the early 80's and work on an Apple II+...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would prefer a play aid using real components. Digital ports leave me cold for the most part. I like to take it all in and utilize my God-given UI to interact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhaviland2 wrote:
...does anyone see potential or practicality for apps supporting face-to-face wargaming or would you rather the entire game be ported to mobile platforms and Steam?

I'd rather not have electronics in my board games. 3rd option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ros Hermans
United States
Royersford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to have something to keep marker heavy games easier to track. I'm looking at you GCACW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haviland
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
I would prefer a play aid using real components. Digital ports leave me cold for the most part. I like to take it all in and utilize my God-given UI to interact.

Yes, using real components. The Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) and Mansions of Madness: Second Edition both use the game components and incorporate expansions. I think there's great possibilities for a umpire-like apps that would enable blind FOW campaigns for two players at the same table, or to facilitate LOS determinations, etc. Or, to replace bots for CDGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haviland
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
mhaviland2 wrote:
...does anyone see potential or practicality for apps supporting face-to-face wargaming or would you rather the entire game be ported to mobile platforms and Steam?

Yep, I should have included that option, too. So, no Vassal, PBEM or Tabletopia for you as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral Eggman wrote:
I'd love to have something to keep marker heavy games easier to track. I'm looking at you GCACW.

I downloaded and printed out the sheets that have all the commands printed on them so the markers can be off board and it vastly improved dealing with fatigue and recovery. An app that could do that would be cool, especially if it could be utilized to help with the limited intelligence rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Grogs
APO/FPO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thread.

I approve.

HO HO HO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Morss
United States
Sanford
Maine
flag msg tools
mb
About a year ago I wrote a PHP virtual umpire web app for Nightfighter. The "beta" is online at http://morssweb.com/nfcampaign/b.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhaviland2 wrote:
blockhead wrote:
mhaviland2 wrote:

Yep, I should have included that option, too. So, no Vassal, PBEM or Tabletopia for you as well?

Pretty much. I did participate in the EastFront PBEM tournament for awhile (and enjoyed it) so it's not like this is a religious thing with me, just a preference. Someday I may try VASSAL. Or not.

But recognize that those are options for playing the games, they are not integral to the game itself. Using electronics to extend my reach in the hobby by finding a live opponent is not the same thing as integrating electronics into the game.

Nor do I want you to think I'm such a Luddite to reject a game just because it incorporates electronics, I simply haven't seen even a proposal that excites me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:

Nor do I want you to think I'm such a Luddite to reject a game just because it incorporates electronics, I simply haven't seen even a proposal that excites me.

Well, I have played a number of non-wargames that try to do this. The results are abysmal - in Alchemists the smartphone app is simply crap and slows the game down, a game which isn't all that good to start with and in XCOM: The Board Game I wanted to throw the iPad across the room. The only game I've played where an electronic gizmo actually improves the game is with One Night Ultimate Werewolf and that's because it basically simply replaces the narrator with a digital one, allowing all players to participate in the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale C
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Local convention has upwards of 50+ playing Werewolf at once some years. Xcom did not go well but that Werewolf app sounds brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dalec wrote:
Local convention has upwards of 50+ playing Werewolf at once some years. Xcom did not go well but that Werewolf app sounds brilliant.

Note that the app is for the game One Night Ultimate Werewolf, not regular werewolf / mafia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an ASL Calcularor in the Apple Store. Unofficial. I have it but don't really use it for anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.