Day Life
msg tools
I'm in the process of considering a number of games to put on the auction block and was wondering if anyone has any advise on alternative ways to ship rather than through the normal AusPost.

Basically I want whatever will be the cheapest option but also have tracking numbers.

Also, and I know this sounds silly.. but where do you buy / get hold of empty boxes? I've never kept any of my old ones. Probably should start putting them in a garage instead of crushing them up and getting rid of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
DayinDaLife wrote:
I'm in the process of considering a number of games to put on the auction block and was wondering if anyone has any advise on alternative ways to ship rather than through the normal AusPost.

Basically I want whatever will be the cheapest option but also have tracking numbers.

Also, and I know this sounds silly.. but where do you buy / get hold of empty boxes? I've never kept any of my old ones. Probably should start putting them in a garage instead of crushing them up and getting rid of them.

We don't have much of an alternative, but having seen how things operate in the US with their official postal service and the un-official (illegal to call themselves) alternatives, Aus Post is pretty good. You can get tracking numbers with couriers (well, some of them, such as Toll), but they will never be as cheap as Aus Post. They also don't generally take much care of the small parcels they carry amongst all the big stuff they shift, and can be quite inconvenient for the recipient.

You can get cardboard boxes from Aus Post, or you can salvage boxes from other businesses (most will throw away piles of cardboard each week). Or you can do what my comic supplier does - sheets of corrugated cardboard turned into a tight-fitting box held with packing tape. Also salvageable from businesses (as is the bubble-wrap you'll also want).

Personally, were I to be looking at purchasing from someone and they started trying to get me to use a courier instead of Aus Post I would immediately look for another person to buy from, no matter how cheap they are selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
JasonJ0 wrote:
Personally, were I to be looking at purchasing from someone and they started trying to get me to use a courier instead of Aus Post I would immediately look for another person to buy from, no matter how cheap they are selling.

Really? I thought people would be most interested in whatever was cheapest.

I have been told that OfficeWorks has a mail drop system that is nearly 1/2 the price of sending to WA, SA, Tasmania and stuff, but about the same to more local addresses to NSW for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
DayinDaLife wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

Really? I thought people would be most interested in whatever was cheapest.

Having seen what couriers can do to small parcels, and knowing people who work for couriers (and what they get up to), I'll take Aus Post every time.

Quote:
I have been told that OfficeWorks has a mail drop system that is nearly 1/2 the price of sending to WA, SA, Tasmania and stuff, but about the same to more local addresses to NSW for example.

They may do, but is there an Officeworks near your purchaser? We didn't have one 5 years ago (it was just a mail-order service in Melbourne until then), and we may not have one next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
JasonJ0 wrote:
Quote:

They may do, but is there an Officeworks near your purchaser?

They deliver to any postal address as far as I know, but not PO.Boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
DayinDaLife wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
Quote:

They may do, but is there an Officeworks near your purchaser?

They deliver to any postal address as far as I know, but not PO.Boxes.

They do, but having a local Officeworks makes a difference. If you have one, they transport your item themselves from Officeworks to Officeworks, then by Officeworks employee to you. If you don't, then they employ a courier. See my previous comment regarding that option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Do not use Officeworks!

Officeworks parcel points use Fastway Couriers as their delivery agents. Fastway are far and away the most slip-shod, careless, incompetent and generally useless delivery company in the Australian market. I'd rather have a package entrusted to a troop of baboons.

Fastway are notorious for refusing returns or refunds on items they damage in transit. Their standard terms include a legally dubious clause which (they claim) allows them to deny responsibility if a recipient has signed for a delivery. Google "Fastway Complaints" and be appalled.

OK, deep breath...

Australia Post are your best bet, provided you use good packing technique. In addition to trading games, I buy and sell cameras and lenses on eBay. These are the lessons learned from LOTS of unhappy experiences:

Fill the inside of the games with scraps of bubblewrap to prevent all the fits flying around. I've had cards arrive with crimps and tears thanks to vigorous shaking. Loose cubes pinging off painted figures is a tragedy. The ceramic sheep in Sheer Panic arrived with razor sharp chips smashed off them...
Use kitchen cling film to wrap the game - this is a cheap, simple way to keep the lid on. It might also prevent scuffing (not really).
Use at least two layers of bubblewrap around the game. Wrap each game individually, even if you are mailing them together.
Put a single layer of poly-peanuts into the package, then add the game.
Fill any space with more bubblewrap or with poly-peanuts.
Use lots and lots of tape to close the box. Use plenty of tape to attach the mailing label also - don't rely on glue.

60+ games shipped, so far they all arrived just as I sent them.

Sources for boxes: Bunnings. Otherwise, see it there is a computer store that will let you forage for empties. The best are usually boxes for big routers. Computer shops often have loads of discarded EPE and bubblewrap too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Ozludo wrote:

Do not use Officeworks!

Officeworks parcel points use Fastway Couriers as their delivery agents. Fastway are far and away the most slip-shod, careless, incompetent and generally useless delivery company in the Australian market. I'd rather have a package entrusted to a troop of baboons.

Fastway are notorious for refusing returns or refunds on items they damage in transit. Their standard terms include a legally dubious clause which (they claim) allows them to deny responsibility if a recipient has signed for a delivery. Google "Fastway Complaints" and be appalled.

Oooooo... Them. Did not know that.

Legally dubious? Utter bullshit more like. Will not stand up in court, but the trouble is that you have to go that far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:

I'd rather have a package entrusted to a troop of baboons.

I'd pay to see that!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.