Jay Christensen
United States
Everson
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The recent issue of the New Yorker (May 21) magazine contains a pretty good article about Milton Bradley and his development of The Checkered Game of Life, which later came to be known as The Game of Life. The article is called The Meaning of Life and contains what I consider a pretty profound quote from Bradley himself, and which, I think, speaks to many of those who enjoy gaming. He said, "the journey of life is governed by the combination of chance and judgement."

For those you who may not read it, the author writes, "If, like me, you played the 1960 version of Life while wearing bell-bottoms and listening to a 45 of Elton John's "Rocket Man" ..." Many of you might remember yourselves in that very place. I read this to my wife at breakfast this morning and she said that the author couldn't have described it better.

I may not pass up on that next copy I see when I go thrifting.

Anyway, check out the article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Milton Bradley and the Meaning of Life in the New Yorke
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/05/21/070521fa_fact_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave L.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
My favorite line from the story was the description of the modern Game of Life as "relentlessly amoral", which is a nice, neat summation of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tsuk
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts [MA]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I found most interesting about the article was the description of the original 1860 Checkered Game of Life "requires you to make decisions, lost and lots of them. It's best to have a plan."

That's in strong distinction to the 1960 version, which is notable for its almost complete lack of decisions. It makes me want to play the original, and I wonder whether the two games should be lumped together here at BGG? They only share a theme: not even the name is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls