Subject: Tile Question? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the small terrain tiles used in scenario 2 and 3 how many movement areas are the edge sections with what looks like a water feature and outline that forms the curve either side of the central walk way? The central section is three areas but there are no black lines on the edges sections implying that they are just one large area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipp wrote:
On the small terrain tiles used in scenario 2 and 3 how many movement areas are the edge sections with what looks like a water feature and outline that forms the curve either side of the central walk way? The central section is three areas but there are no black lines on the edges sections implying that they are just one large area?

If I understand your question correctly, you mean the zones like the one in the above picture next to the 1-2 card. The curvy bits on either side of those tiles are one zone each.

Every zone has to be able to hold four marines or two termies, and you wouldn't be able to fit that many models on the pointy bit if you split the zones.

I've had a puzzling time with the fountain tile (where you place the statue in mission 2), which has little angular bits going in towards the centre. If you play those angles as being the "true" edges of the zones (and I see no reason not to), in some cases when you shoot into that zone from a diagonal, you can shave a whole zone off the range, which is very useful for the short range guns... Man, I explained that really badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tile Question
I'm impressed that you understood what I meant for my crap description!

I'm playing as you describe however the rules on page 8 say "The borders of each zone are shown by thick black lines." These are generally pretty clear but I don't see them on the curved section?

I agree with you on lines of sight. There are some totally bizarre ones where little areas near the corner clearly have line of sight into other similar areas which makes it difficult on occasion to block LOS and can sometime feel a bit cheap...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipp wrote:
I'm impressed that you understood what I meant for my crap description!

I'm playing as you describe however the rules on page 8 say "The borders of each zone are shown by thick black lines." These are generally pretty clear but I don't see them on the curved section?

I agree with you on lines of sight. There are some totally bizarre ones where little areas near the corner clearly have line of sight into other similar areas which makes it difficult on occasion to block LOS and can sometime feel a bit cheap...shake

As far as I can see each of the small boards has five zones, three in the middle and a curved one on each side. The rest is inaccessible window dressing. I'm away from my computer this evening and can't type for toffee on a phone so I'll probably come back and talk some more tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

As far as I can see each of the small boards has five zones, three in the middle and a curved one on each side. The rest is inaccessible window dressing.

Ah thumbsup

That thought hadn't even crossed my mind but now seems like the obvious answer! Don't think it would effect game play on any of the scenarios I've played so far other than potential on S3 depending on deployment but it's good to have an answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I love the artwork on the boards, I think that GW have gone for swagger over functionality. There are lots of issues with the boards, and all we have to go on is a line in the rules that says zones are delineated by black lines, and some areas represent perilous drops and lava you cannot step on.

So, first up the tile you were originally talking about:

I thought at first the fact the curvy zones on either side had a bronze edging made it clear that was where the zones end in an impassable barrier, but then the central bottom zone also has the same bronze edging. In the end, I just assumed from the artwork that you cannot access the top left and right areas - the river flows underneath the gantry, and the street lamps are very small, suggesting it's a long way down. Still, it could have been much clearer.

Then we have this shit show:

Dammit. The first time I played scenario 1, I thought you couldn't get from either of the top central areas to the raised section in the centre of the middle row. However, there's nothing in the rules to say your units can't scramble up there, and also nothing to say you can't go left or right off the staircase. Or, indeed, that the raised section in the middle blocks line of sight (it doesn't - there's an example on page 8 that shows someone shooting across the raised section).

As for how adjacency works with that crumbled centre section... I guess the two central zones in the top row are both adjacent to it.

This next one's a bit easier, because the rules specifically say you cannot enter lava zones, but still - those top two zones mess with your mind if you look for black zone border for too long. And does lava count as a zone for shooting?

Then there's my favourite:

Is the fountain a zone? Does it block line of sight? Nothing in the rules say so. And as for those angled bits going towards the centre... they're a lot of fun for reducing the range of your shots. And they're even better when the zones around them include obstructions yet you can still "thread the eye of the needle" and put a shot between the obstruction and the fountain using those angles.

There's another tile that look like pillars in the corners, and again, no explanation of whether they are zones or classed as obstructions.

Overall, I just don't think it's clear enough from the artwork, and you end up needing to discuss the terrain with your opponent before you play (as you would if you were playing a tabletop war game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got mixed feelings over the tiles. On one hand I absolutely agree with all the points you make. I'm generally playing solo at the moment as I haven't been able to get together with my main opponent for GW board games since the release, but if I was playing against a competitive player I can see how some of the terrain decisions could get really angsty.

On the other hand it struck me when I was playing scenario 3 just how good it looked The big glossy boards, loads of toys, and something about the squareish zones looks great and adds to the tabletop game vibe.....for that I can forgive them some of the issues with the board. It'll be interesting to se if these are ever covered in an FAQ but I have my doubts?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipp wrote:

On the other hand it struck me when I was playing scenario 3 just how good it looked

This is without question. The guy who illustrated these also did Silver Tower and Betrayal at Calth, and (ruffling through my review notes...) he is arguably one of the best board game tile illustrators in the business at the moment in terms of the sheer quality of the art. Combined with the embossing, and the gloss finish, it just makes everything look amazing.

I just wish that GW balanced the aesthetics a bit more with the usability.

I am very fortunate that I don't play with rules lawyers, otherwise some of these rules would have me tearing my hair. (For example, by the rules as written, you can argue that you can't fire a short range weapon across lava, because you have to trace the shot through "adjacent" zones.)

With these tiles though, I do think you have to talk to an opponent before you start and say "This doesn't block line of sight, you can walk on that, that will block your movement, that's a deadly drop, that isn't a zone..."

They have now released FAQs for Silver Tower and Calth, and there is a new community website launching next week. So I would actually be surprised if there isn't a FAQ at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably borderline Boardgame Geek heresy, but my son and I have actually enjoyed "exploring" the vagaries of the maps, midgame. Our guiding principle has been "embossed edges." So far, that maxim has done right by us. Yep, this yields some funny shaped zones, and some oddities like the zones around the fountain are adjacent by just a bit at the "corners." Also, I may be wrong (OK, I'm often wrong), but isn't it pretty much the case the maps have NO organic obstructions? That the ONLY obstructions are those placed on the map (according to the scenarios)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
Also, I may be wrong (OK, I'm often wrong), but isn't it pretty much the case the maps have NO organic obstructions? That the ONLY obstructions are those placed on the map (according to the scenarios)?

This seems to be the case until maybe it isn't. Look at scenario 6 - the tile that represents the entrance to the library seems to have two pillars on it, and it would make sense from the scenario's perspective for them to count as obstructions. They are not defined as obstructions, but are they? The fountain is never defined as an obstruction, and I am absolutely certain it's not supposed to be - otherwise scenario 3 is a mess.

Some of the zones are clearly odd shapes by design, but I wish they weren't.

The little angled bits on the fountain tile are just a nuisance. If they make the spaces "adjacent" then you can block movement and shooting by standing on a diagonal from the opponent unit. And then you have to question whether you are allowed to squeeze a moving unit through that bit. Ahzek's ritual circle creates similar questions about movement - you have to take it as written and assume you can move between the zones surrounding the circle, even if it "feels" odd.

It's nothing game breaking, but you shouldn't have to discuss that sort of thing with your opponent before you begin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pillars look to be there for a reason. So, it would seem they would be blocked off areas, and block LOS. Ill have to wait until we "explore" that map to decide.whistle

BTW, thanks for taking and posting he pictures of the maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.