Subject: One thing I hate about gaming cafes. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
I have a pet peeve when playing my own games at gaming cafes.

There is always a chance someone will spill a drink. More often than not people eat with their hands and put grease all over the cards and dripping onto the board.

Other than that, I think gaming cafes are a great way to play many games before buying or ever buying.

A lot of people are generally non caring when the game is not theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Stephen
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never used a gaming cafe, but attend a regular game night at the local store. The store sells snacks and it's located close to a couple fast food options, so eating and drinking is a regular thing.

If anybody went to play a game with greasy fingers, they'd be directed to the bathroom to go clean up. But we don't usually play with people actively eating anything more than a chocolate bar. Folks usually finish up before joining a game.

As we're all there to game and own games ourselves, I'd say we were all respectful of games whether we own the copy on the table or not.

Can't speak for everybody, but if I was to in anyway damage somebody's game, whatever the cause, I'd replace it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Malmberg
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Own games at a board game cafe? Never seen that one before ... I have always played the house games, but I suppose maybe I was spoiled with the cafes I have been to having thousands of games. (And they laminate and sleeve nearly all components of their games.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben King
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Consider yourself lucky to have a gaming cafe at all! The nearest one to me is about 100 miles away.

The nearest board game hobby store is about 150 miles away (according to Google, I've never been and never found one closer).

Serves me right for living in Cornwall, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only been there once. The games were in a pretty poor condition, and some were even missing parts. It didn't give me a good first impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure no-one would mind if you asked them to refrain from eating/drinking around your personal games.

My local games cafe sells drinks in cups designed to be a low-spill risk, maybe ask your games cafe to invest in these?

KingBen84 wrote:
Consider yourself lucky to have a gaming cafe at all! The nearest one to me is about 100 miles away.

The nearest board game hobby store is about 150 miles away (according to Google, I've never been and never found one closer).

There's one in Exeter? Still probably pretty far for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
There is always a chance someone will spill a drink. More often than not people eat with their hands and put grease all over the cards and dripping onto the board.

Am I given to understand that you would be extremely happy with a gaming cafe that served neither drinks nor food?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
More often than not people eat with their hands and put grease all over the cards and dripping onto the board.

This drives me insane, regardless of location. People, stop eating oily/salty chips/pizza/food and then licking your fingers "clean" and handing unsleeved cards and gaming components. Bloody cretins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reminder, need to get some ribs for tonights gaming night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Ask your local gaming cafe to get T-towels to provide to players. They're cheap, in fact in pubs they get them for free from beer distributors and likely the same thing can happen at cafes. I've seen them at pool tables for much the same reason.

With branding the cafe can get marketing out in front of their customers in a very personal way, and players will have a plush towel to wipe their hands with after grabbing a bite between turns. The cafe gets the advantage of their games lasting 12 weeks instead of the current 6, saving them money. One laundry load likely cleans the entire day's use.

Carlsberg distributes about half a million of these things a year.

If you're concerned about your own games get half a dozen of these from the dollar store and throw them in your game bag. When you provide them to players you have a pretty solid argument when they don't use them.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:
More often than not people eat with their hands and put grease all over the cards and dripping onto the board.

This drives me insane, regardless of location. People, stop eating oily/salty chips/pizza/food and then licking your fingers "clean" and handing unsleeved cards and gaming components. Bloody cretins!

I have personalized buckets of diluted lysol and hand towels for all my guests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is not the point of a cafe to serve food and drink?

How else are they going to make money, charitable donations from gamers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Thanks for the reminder, need to get some ribs for tonights gaming night.

I hear Ribs and Cheetos are the ideal combo; don't forget the dip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that some players aren't deliberately trying to potentially damage your game/components eating and drinking at a gaming table. They simply don't care if they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember well my sinking feeling when a guy sat down to play my nice new card game and plonked a giant plate of sharing nachos in the midle of the table(with salsa, cream cheese, guacomale adn chillies in abundance) aaaaqghhh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malletman wrote:
I remember well my sinking feeling when a guy sat down to play my nice new card game and plonked a giant plate of sharing nachos in the midle of the table(with salsa, cream cheese, guacomale adn chillies in abundance) aaaaqghhh!

You should have pulled out the can of disinfectant and sprayed down the plate. Probably wouldn't have been too many takers for those nachos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only had one issue at the board game cafe we've been too, and that's because some dolt decided to combine both copies of Elder Signs and at least one of the expansions into just ONE of the Elder Signs box. Like, two base games. We'd wanted to play it to give it a try, but decided not to muck with trying to split them back up.

We have brought our own copies of games there before- my Copy of Legendary with expansions, since I'd just made my card dividers and bars for it, and wanted to see how much it would speed up play (And the cafe didn't have expansions for the base game), and a friend of ours bought Ticket to Ride Europe while we were there and we played it. We've never had strangers play games with us though...

All the other games we've played have been very well played. They all have some wear and tear, but you can tell it's because they've been well loved, not manhandled. We ourselves have always been courteous when we've eaten and drank there, and exceedingly careful, and all the other gamers look to be doing the same!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Is not the point of a cafe to serve food and drink?

How else are they going to make money, charitable donations from gamers?

I was thinking the same thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
The one cafe I went to had cup holders that slot into the sides of the tables. Spills were still possible, I guess, if you're all butterfingers, but I thought it was a fancy touch.

Felt very nervous eating cake during Ticket to Ride though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What if the games were in glass boxes and you handled the components through gloves built into the side of the box like they do in (depictions of) nuclear facilities and baby incubators?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
What if the games were in glass boxes and you handled the components through gloves built into the side of the box like they do in (depictions of) nuclear facilities and baby incubators?

Always these extremes ...

I don't like eating while playing for several reasons: bad food, bad meal hours, excessive quantity, compulsive consumption ...

But the thing that angers me the most is, as stated earlier the fact that people doesn't seem to understand what "clean" is: if I eat while playing I will use one hand for the food and one hand for the game and as soon as I have finished, I go to the bathroom clean my hands.
But I am in the smallest minority: it looks like people think that the dirt/grease will magically disappear from their hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
malmby wrote:
Own games at a board game cafe? Never seen that one before ... I have always played the house games.

Likewise. Aside from the risk of spilling food or drink on my games, there's always the possibility of the table itself being dirty. When I go to board game cafes, I don't bring my own games.

I'm willing to accept sticky cards or missing bits in the house games - that's what happens when games are kept and played repeatedly in a public space (particularly one that serves food.) This is part of the "social contract" of playing games at a board game cafe, IMHO.

If I wanted to play my own games, or if I had an issue with the idea of touching the occasional sticky card, I would not go to board game cafes. I would stay at home and invite people over, or make arrangements to meet my friends at a suitably clean location to ensure my games are not damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KingBen84 wrote:

Nothing wrong with Cornwall. Beautiful area.
(East Midlands here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
KingBen84 wrote:

Nothing wrong with Cornwall. Beautiful area.
(East Midlands here).
Cornwall is not the east Midlands irrespective of where you are.:devil:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
Sometimes I bring my own games if the cafe doesn't have it. I shudder at people who eat or are disrespectful to my games. The game cafe games really get worn in no time if popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.