Benjamin Y.
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

If you want to know more about WoF and myself:

http://gamingtrend.com/2016/11/09/crazy-eights-benjamin-yama...

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi and thanks for offering to answer questions. I have some questions about the mechanics of this game. I'm having a hard time grasping how a character can play a solid defense. I see you have a block card but it seems you have to be just as aggressive with your dice as you would if you were trying to get your attacks executed. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Also, as someone who knows the game inside and out, can you share some pro-level tactics or perhaps a few strategy guide-like tips that helps us new players understand how to use the game's mechanics to take advantage of a few of the character's particular playstyles? To be more clear, in both gameplay videos, it was down to the wire. I don't know if it was just a matter of the guys being equally good or equally bad. At high-level fighting game play, you can steamroll your opponent (or visa versa) with good reads. I just don't understand how 1 could do that here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
A lot of questions here, let me try to provide you with a proper answers:

Are solid defense character viable?
The game is designed to promote aggression, but timely defense plays a critical role. To understand the role of defense, you need to understand the dice mechanic: dice are used to get a higher priority and to perform combos. Getting enough dice to pull out a powerful action (but slow) or to make 2/3 actions combo is the goal in most scenarios.

The main benefits are blocks are:
- Dice on block come back to the active pool, you only burnout 1 die per block, so you can always go with a maximum dice pool and high-priority.
- Block basically nullify anything but grab, well-played you can make your opponent waste up to 4 dice (which is a big deal), as you only lose 1 die for blocking.
- Blocks have special effect that make them useful in myriad of other ways.

The basic play is to use block to make sure your opponent spend his dice while you save yours and prepare for a counter attack. You can also use block after a massive dice spend to refresh your dice pool quicker.

At high-level fighting game play, you can steamroll a noob, but you cannot steamroll another player of the same or slightly lower skill-set. When damaged you Life Pool dice goes to your Energy pool, fueling your future attack, this inherent come-back mechanic make it that anybody get at least one chance to fight back.

About tips, I am hesitant to spoil them, I would like to leave to people the ability to discover them. But I will say this, bluffing and using the Initiative at the right time become critical at high-level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through the block rules a little more and I see what you mean. Block is just as much a tool to counter as it is to just minimize damage. If I'm understanding correctly, the sense of being "defensive" I'm thinking about in this game is when you simply use fewer dice.

I missed out on this rule...

During the recovery phase, players do not burnout the dice on their block actions. Instead, they place these dice back in their energy pool and return the block action to their hands. Block actions can never be discarded.

The risk to your dice pool itself is about the same whether you attack or block. I guess this is where the game promotes offense which in my opinion is a good thing!

As for steamrolling, I was just curious to see what getting out-played would look like in this game. At this point, it appears to be just as you said with the bluffing, timing, initiative...

That all said, the more I read into it, the more interested I become. I'm not so sure the gameplay videos show the potential. I think I would have liked to have seen more blocks and grabs. Even if the matches were scripted out to show how one could capitalize on a well-timed attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
You understand correctly! Another important part is understanding the capacity of each fighter and their fighting style. A very experienced player would be able to guess what you are attempting based on your style, the number of dice, and the card you have played so far.

That is why customization is so important, you can swap technique in the same style, for example while Ren has Wave which basically hit the ground, you can swap them for Blast and hit more aerial opponent. Not completely your opponent techniques should keep everybody on their toes at the start of a a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.