Subject: Your worst deals and how you got them rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After the fun topic where we shared our sweet, sweet deals, I'm wondering what your worst deals were Note that I intend this thread to be light hearted, so please post accordingly.

To kick it off: in the BGG Essen auction, I went slightly overboard on a KS copy of The Gallerist. Normally, I always do my homework, but this time I failed. I paid 82 euros for my copy, only to find EGG selling them at their own stand for 80, with both KS stretch goal packs included. Fortunately my copy is in perfect condition, so I'm not complaining. But paying more than new for a used copy of an available game is definitely my worst deal so far robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i traded Mage Knight for Epic Resort in a maths trade, thinking that it was well over $100 (after looking at the kickstarter prices)

i paid $90 NZD for Mage Knight because i just didn't like it (i won't really go into all of the reasons why, but i bought it expecting to like it a lot), but apparently it goes for up to $130-150

just checked Epic Resort, and it's on Amazon for $28 USD

and that's not even the worst part. the absolute worst part? it's been a year and a half or so since i got it, and no one's agreed to play it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've overpaid a little on a few games that have been scarce/going out of print (Fury of Dracula (third edition) comes to mind), but not so much that I regret it, as obviously I don't have perfect knowledge of the market and can't predict the future.

In other words; meh, it's only money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever hear of a little game called Up Front? I bought two sets. Three years later....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed Sedition Wars on Kickstarter.

I think I went in for about $150. Game is unplayable, they released revised rules to make it playable but not good and you can now get it for $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No really overpaid game, but a lot of games not played enough to justify the money spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Attack Wing - not familiar at the time with WizKids & misled into believing it was a tactical game rather than a card effect stacking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when it was OOP and hard to find, I bought Planet Steam for $125. I like it, but it's not a $125 game. And of course then it got reprinted by FFG and now can be had for free when you buy two boxes of Tide.

And you young'uns don't remember this, but time was when, in a math trade, you'd go through the list, write down the item numbers you wanted, and send them to the trade runner. Write down the wrong number, as I did, and you end up with You Can't Check Me: The Basketball Card Game. I don't know what I traded for this little gem, but unless it was better than, say, ass cancer, I got the short end of that deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I backed Sedition Wars on Kickstarter.

I think I went in for about $150. Game is unplayable, they released revised rules to make it playable but not good and you can now get it for $20.

The exact game I thought of. I didn't even wait for the revised rules, I dumped it for a bout 2/3 what I paid so I don't feel too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I dunno if this counts, but I bought a copy of Witness for $70 NZD from a store here after hearing good things about it, and thought it might not get a big release here. Then like a week later I saw it being sold elsewhere for about $40-$50 NZD.

I really adore the game, but that really taught me a lesson about what a rip off that store was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.