10 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Did I do this right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm jus wondering if I did this right when I played AH for the first time last night. I had Wendy and Roland, Wendy was doing much better as Roland Frozen in Fear. Wendy had managed to unlock the Parlor, and then successfully Evaded the Ghoul Priest to get into the Parlor and acquired Lita Chantler. The next turn she moved into the Hallway and attacked the Ghoul Priest. I didn't know if that was a separate action, so I went with page 9 of the Learn to Play book: Fight an enemy at his or her current location.

The first Fight action I committed the Derringer and the Knife for two extra Combat, then paid a resource for Hard Knocks' ability, and Lita gave one more, for a total of five Combat. I them drew a Skill token, for -X for each Ghoul. There being no ghouls Wendy took a quick swig, threw her gun and knife at the Ghoul Priest and with Lita's help successfully hit him for two damage. Last action Wendy pulled out her Baseball Bat, took another swig from Hard Knocks and with Lita got another five Combat. Pulled out a 0 token, so Wendy lays into the Ghoul Priest for a total of three damage (+1 from the bat and +1 from Lita). Five damage is enough to defeat the Ghoul Priest.

Never underestimate little girls...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NikToo wrote:
I'm jus wondering if I did this right when I played AH for the first time last night. I had Wendy and Roland, Wendy was doing much better as Roland Frozen in Fear. Wendy had managed to unlock the Parlor, and then successfully Evaded the Ghoul Priest to get into the Parlor and acquired Lita Chantler. The next turn she moved into the Hallway and attacked the Ghoul Priest. I didn't know if that was a separate action, so I went with page 9 of the Learn to Play book: Fight an enemy at his or her current location.

You can only fight enemies at the investigators location (Rules Ref p12) so this would have been 2 separate actions.

NikToo wrote:
The first Fight action I committed the Derringer and the Knife for two extra Combat, then paid a resource for Hard Knocks' ability, and Lita gave one more, for a total of five Combat. I them drew a Skill token, for -X for each Ghoul. There being no ghouls

The Ghoul Priest is a ghoul, so it should have been -1.

NikToo wrote:
Wendy took a quick swig, threw her gun and knife at the Ghoul Priest and with Lita's help successfully hit him for two damage. Last action Wendy pulled out her Baseball Bat, took another swig from Hard Knocks and with Lita got another five Combat. Pulled out a 0 token, so Wendy lays into the Ghoul Priest for a total of three damage (+1 from the bat and +1 from Lita). Five damage is enough to defeat the Ghoul Priest.

Never underestimate little girls...
If I read correctly that you discarded the knife and derringer from hand for your first combat skill check, and for the second one you used the baseball bat that you had in play, then it looks fine to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ok, so on the whole it was OK? Action one: move; action two: fight; action three: fight. The -1 I missed but didn't matter as I still had four Combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NikToo wrote:

The first Fight action I committed the Derringer and the Knife for two extra Combat, then paid a resource for Hard Knocks' ability, and Lita gave one more, for a total of five Combat. I them drew a Skill token, for -X for each Ghoul. There being no ghouls Wendy took a quick swig, threw her gun and knife at the Ghoul Priest and with Lita's help successfully hit him for two damage. Last action Wendy pulled out her Baseball Bat, took another swig from Hard Knocks and with Lita got another five Combat. Pulled out a 0 token, so Wendy lays into the Ghoul Priest for a total of three damage (+1 from the bat and +1 from Lita). Five damage is enough to defeat the Ghoul Priest.

It's cool you are enjoying the game! But it seems you're still missing a few things.

First off, what weapons did you have equipped? You say Wendy used the Bsaeball Bat for her second attack, so why didn't she get the bonus for the Baseball Bat on the first attack? You didn't say you changed weapons. And of course if you had changed weapons while engaged with an enemy, that's not only an action, you'll suffer an attack of opportunity from each enemy you are engaged with, because you're not taking an attack, evade, parley, or retire action while engaged.

Also the Ghoul Priest has 5 HP times the number of investigators (that's what the little hat/head symbol means next to the Priest's HP); you said you were playing with Wendy and Roland, so he (it?) should have 10 HP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Aha... I only had the bat equipped, hence why I only used it for the second attack. Or can I use it for both attacks? I guess I could have... But I missed the HP bit for the Ghoul Priest, I thought it was the number of investigators fighting it. Oh well, it was a learning experience. Will do it again tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NikToo wrote:
Aha... I only had the bat equipped, hence why I only used it for the second attack. Or can I use it for both attacks? I guess I could have... But I missed the HP bit for the Ghoul Priest, I thought it was the number of investigators fighting it. Oh well, it was a learning experience. Will do it again tonight.

Good to hear! Having fun is the most important part of playing a game. Go kick ghoul butt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teage Watson
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This may be incorrect, but for some reason I thought that the knife would have to be in play (in your hand) in order to discard it for the +1 damage.

I don't have my rule book with me so I grabbed this from arkhamdb.com rules section:
Activate an <arrow-icon> ability on an in-play card you control, an in-play encounter card at your location, a card in your threat area, the current act card, or the current agenda card.

Based on this it is my understanding that although you could discard knife to get the one fist bonus to your skill check, you could not use it to get the +1 damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_knucklehead wrote:
This may be incorrect, but for some reason I thought that the knife would have to be in play (in your hand) in order to discard it for the +1 damage.

I don't have my rule book with me so I grabbed this from arkhamdb.com rules section:
Activate an <arrow-icon> ability on an in-play card you control, an in-play encounter card at your location, a card in your threat area, the current act card, or the current agenda card.

Based on this it is my understanding that although you could discard knife to get the one fist bonus to your skill check, you could not use it to get the +1 damage.

Correct. The +1 damage in the Original Post came from Lita, not the knife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_knucklehead wrote:

A point of clarification here (though it doesn't have any bearing on where the +1 came from):

In your hand is not considered in play.

An in play card is one that has previously been played from your hand, by paying it's resource cost and placing it on the table in front of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkham Chronicle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you prefer your explanations more visual then there is a video all about skill tests, with examples.

Fancy that

The Arkham Chronicle Monkeys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvcMrk6-gCU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.