Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Port Royal» Forums » General

Subject: Is this really a push your luck game or am I getting the rules wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
Hi,

Yesterday I played my first game of Port Royal.
According to our understanding, if you draw more than 3 boats, you can buy an extra card or two.

Is it really true? from the one game we played, trying to draw 4-5 boats is not "push you luck" it's a plain stupid move.
The only situation where this might come in handy is if you have a strong crew, 4+ swords, but than again, investing in more than 2 swords, also seems like a bad move.

Am I missing something?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Am I missing something?


Maybe?

If you draw two ships of the same colour, you go bust and your turn is over. Swords allow you to discard any ships you draw, if you have enough swords.

You get an extra card if you have four ships of different colours, and another card if you end up with five ships of different colours.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is ofc. a push your luck game, but it's not this particular rule that makes it a push your luck game.
When you're already on 3 different boats, then going for the 4th is not a plain stupid move, but just a chance you might want to take.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very much so a push your luck game. But it isn't all about the ships, sometimes you want a specific character or card and you keep drawing, but in doing so you give every other player more options.

It's a light game, but it incorporates both luck and strategy very clearly. It's really a top notch filler.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
... is here!
badge
Sunrise ... sunset
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've often found it helpful to go for 3 or 4 swords. It depends on the strategy you are going for.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If a card is already out that I cannot buy, but don't want my opponent(s) to have, trying for 4 ships (especially when I already have a couple of swords) becomes more tempting. If it works out, I might be able to afford the card I want, thanks to the extra card that 4 different ships allow me. If not - well, blowing up everything means that the others can't have it either. whistle

Or in those weird cases where I've already drawn three 1- or 2-coin ships and nothing else (or nothing else that I want or can afford), the potential reward is greater than the risk.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
If a card is already out that I cannot buy, but don't want my opponent(s) to have, trying for 4 ships (especially when I already have a couple of swords) becomes more tempting. If it works out, I might be able to afford the card I want, thanks to the extra card that 4 different ships allow me. If not - well, blowing up everything means that the others can't have it either. whistle

Or in those weird cases where I've already drawn three 1- or 2-coin ships and nothing else (or nothing else that I want or can afford), the potential reward is greater than the risk.


Or you have insurance and get money for going bust and nobody else gets anything.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, guys, guys!!!! I think that we all have interpreted the rules wrong. From what I understand (I've played with the following rule, based on the explanations from the rulebook of course): if you have discovered 3 boats, you can ONLY take 1 boat from the port, knowing that boat=money.
If you push your luck and discovered 4 boats, than you can take 2 BOATS from the port, meaning more money!
And finally, if you have discovered all 5 boats, you can take 3 BOATS, even more money!!!! And in this phase you can ONLY take boats.
Then phase 2 begins, in which you SPEND all your money and buy how many cards you can afford.
This is my understanding of this game and how is supposed to work.
Push your luck, receive boats=money, and if you already have enough money, stop pushing your hand and just go crazy and buy all the cards, hehe.
Cheers!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that's wrong. There's only one phase in which you take cards - you have to choose whether to use it to take boats, buy cards or a combination of the two.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
RipTail wrote:
I think that we all have interpreted the rules wrong. From what I understand (I've played with the following rule, based on the explanations from the rulebook of course): if you have discovered 3 boats, you can ONLY take 1 boat from the port...
And in this phase you can ONLY take boats.
Then phase 2 begins, in which you SPEND all your money and buy how many cards you can afford.
I'm not sure which rules you are reading but that is not at all what is in the ones I have in front of me, and I see no room for a misunderstanding:

During the "Trade & Hire" phase the active player gets to Trade or Hire 1, 2 or 3 CARDS (not just ships) depending on the number of differently colored ships in the harbor display, then the other players get a chance to take 1 CARD. That's the end of the phase. Read the example in the rulebook where Andrea reveals 4 differently colored ships.


8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ste ma
msg tools
Espinoza wrote:
RipTail wrote:
I think that we all have interpreted the rules wrong. From what I understand (I've played with the following rule, based on the explanations from the rulebook of course): if you have discovered 3 boats, you can ONLY take 1 boat from the port...
And in this phase you can ONLY take boats.
Then phase 2 begins, in which you SPEND all your money and buy how many cards you can afford.
I'm not sure which rules you are reading but that is not at all what is the ones I have in front of me, and I see no room for a misunderstanding:

During the "Trade & Hire" phase the active player gets to Trade or Hire 1, 2 or 3 CARDS (not just ships) depending on the number of differently colored ships in the harbor display, then the other players get a chance to take 1 CARD. That's the end of the phase. Read the example in the rulebook where Andrea reveals 4 differently colored ships.



If you have 4 ships and another card you want to take (but you don't have enough money in that moment), I ask: if you firstly take a ship, at that moment you have no more FOUR ships in the harbour. So, are you still allowed to take another card?
Or you have firstly to take that card, and THEN the ship?

Of course, it's a question about the money needed to take that card you want....

Or do you take them at the same time? But in that precise moment you don't have the money to take the card....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glokta wrote:
If you have 4 ships and another card you want to take (but you don't have enough money in that moment), I ask: if you firstly take a ship, at that moment you have no more FOUR ships in the harbour. So, are you still allowed to take another card?
Or you have firstly to take that card, and THEN the ship?

Of course, it's a question about the money needed to take that card you want....

Or do you take them at the same time? But in that precise moment you don't have the money to take the card....


The amount of cards you can hire/trade with is determined at the start of that phase. So if you decide to end the discover phase with 4 ships. You'll have 2 interactions that round, even if you fall below 4 ships during the hide/trade phase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
marble911 wrote:
If a card is already out that I cannot buy, but don't want my opponent(s) to have, trying for 4 ships (especially when I already have a couple of swords) becomes more tempting. If it works out, I might be able to afford the card I want, thanks to the extra card that 4 different ships allow me. If not - well, blowing up everything means that the others can't have it either. whistle

Or in those weird cases where I've already drawn three 1- or 2-coin ships and nothing else (or nothing else that I want or can afford), the potential reward is greater than the risk.


Or you have insurance and get money for going bust and nobody else gets anything.


In the Port Royal rules the "Witzbold" rules state that you only get money if you are not the active player. So there is no "insurance" like that.

Michael
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
badge
"I have set my life upon a cast, And I will stand the hazard of the die."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KivasFajo wrote:
Wolfram wrote:
marble911 wrote:
If a card is already out that I cannot buy, but don't want my opponent(s) to have, trying for 4 ships (especially when I already have a couple of swords) becomes more tempting. If it works out, I might be able to afford the card I want, thanks to the extra card that 4 different ships allow me. If not - well, blowing up everything means that the others can't have it either. whistle

Or in those weird cases where I've already drawn three 1- or 2-coin ships and nothing else (or nothing else that I want or can afford), the potential reward is greater than the risk.


Or you have insurance and get money for going bust and nobody else gets anything.


In the Port Royal rules the "Witzbold" rules state that you only get money if you are not the active player. So there is no "insurance" like that.

Michael


It also says 'Should a player forfeit his turn during a Phase 1: Discover and the 2nd Phase will be skipped, ALL players with a Jester gain one coin'.

At the end of the section 1. Discover it also says '...he is forced to forfeit the rest of his turn. Phase 2 will not take place, but ALL players with a Jester in their personal display gain 1 coin'.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mavis101 wrote:
KivasFajo wrote:
Wolfram wrote:
marble911 wrote:
If a card is already out that I cannot buy, but don't want my opponent(s) to have, trying for 4 ships (especially when I already have a couple of swords) becomes more tempting. If it works out, I might be able to afford the card I want, thanks to the extra card that 4 different ships allow me. If not - well, blowing up everything means that the others can't have it either. whistle

Or in those weird cases where I've already drawn three 1- or 2-coin ships and nothing else (or nothing else that I want or can afford), the potential reward is greater than the risk.


Or you have insurance and get money for going bust and nobody else gets anything.


In the Port Royal rules the "Witzbold" rules state that you only get money if you are not the active player. So there is no "insurance" like that.

Michael


It also says 'Should a player forfeit his turn during a Phase 1: Discover and the 2nd Phase will be skipped, ALL players with a Jester gain one coin'.

At the end of the section 1. Discover it also says '...he is forced to forfeit the rest of his turn. Phase 2 will not take place, but ALL players with a Jester in their personal display gain 1 coin'.


Yes. So if you're the active player and you "go bust", you do get a coin for each Jester (Witzbold) you have. It's a common mistake, and I made it too.

Official confirmation here.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KivasFajo wrote:

In the Port Royal rules the "Witzbold" rules state that you only get money if you are not the active player. So there is no "insurance" like that.

Not correct. There are 2 cases, when the Jester gives his/her owner 1 coin:
a) If you are non-active player and there are no cards in the harbour left.
b) If the active player busts, ALL Players get 1 coin.

In case a) the non-active stuff is a little misleading, as the active player always has 1 card in his harbour if he does not bust.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks for correcting my misinterpretation of the rules (and admitting the misleading part).

Michael
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Am I missing something?
Yes. Investing in more then 2 swords is not a bad move.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Doyle
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldn't say going for 4-5 ships is a "stupid move." The other day I finally got to 5 ships because I happened to have 5 swords. I also had a Governor, so the result was 4 cards. I didn't win though, because it was one turn before the end of the game and an opponent was within 2 victory points and had the money to buy, and I needed too many victory points to match. And I've seen 4 ships come up several times, not always with swords but that sure helps.

But I didn't have 5 swords because that was my "plan." I had 5 swords because the opportunity to get them over the course of the game presented itself and I find that if you work too hard to execute a particular "plan" you will likely find yourself stymied by the luck of the draw. I think it's better to stay flexible and look for good options as they arise. Many of the cards work well together, swords with the Admirals and Governor for example. But no matter how strong a hand you think you might have, there are no guarantees. A friend had a game where he had 3 Admirals, but never had the chance to take advantage of them, because there was no way we were going to leave 5 cards to him in that case, and he busted ever time on his turn trying to get to 5 cards. If someone says a card is "too powerful," I've seen many examples where it wasn't enough to guarantee a win...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aske Christiansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I'm just realizing that we've been playing the game wrong. We've played with extra card draws at 3 ships, so that you could potentially draw 4 if you turn up 5 different ships.

I'll try it with 4 being the turning point now, but the game has managed to become one of our favorites, with the misreading, so I don't know if we'll follow the official rules for ever.

Anyway, the reason for sharing is that I think OP would maybe consider that change to make it more of a push-you-luck game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.