1 , 2  Next »   | 

Stone Age» Forums » General

Subject: What if a player takes notes and calculations while playing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dear_abby [+] [View All]
Chung Lương Kim
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Hi, I love the game Stone Age. Recently I played in a tournament held by a local board game club, there I saw a player took notes (with pen and paper) of the civilization cards that other players bought. By doing so, he always knows exactly how many scores each player would end up with when the game ends.

Later, the referee banned him from taking such notes. He was quite discontent with the referee's decision.

I'd like to ask you guys, what do you think about taking notes while playing like that? Is it unfair or bad behavior?

Personally, I too want to take notes and make calculations with my phone while playing. I think taking notes is just something to aid one's memory. Some people just don't have great memory, that's all. As long as what I do wouldn't affect another player, it's all fair.

Please give your opinions! Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's really bad sport I think. It is anticlimactic and removes the suspense of final scoring. However, if everyone does it, it's their game. In Stone Age specifically, I'm sure the game drags in the end, as people not in the lead will block or delay endgame as much as possible.

I guess in a competitive tournament, where pepole really want to win, they could just work on their memorizing skills beforehand. Personally I would just not play in such a context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the reason why hidden but trackable information (HTI) mechanics are often frowned upon in modern board games. If you search the forums, you'll find dozens, if not hundreds, of threads discussing this aspect of various games.

Long story short, writing down information that is supposed to be hidden as per the game's rules (as is the case with cards in Stone Age) is essentially a house-rule that removes memorization from the game. As such it is fair if and only if it's agreed upon beforehand and everybody does it. Otherwise, since the rules explicitly state that the information is supposed to be hidden, the memorization aspect is part of the skills needed to play the game well and 'memory aids' are cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Rieberghs
Belgium
Turnhout
-- Maak uw keuze --
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
Wow, that's really bad sport I think. It is anticlimactic and removes the suspense of final scoring.

Personally I would just not play in such a context.

Totally agree with that !!
For me, it would take away all the fun of playing a game.

If I should know in front that a player will do that, I will leave the table immediatly !! yukyukyuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wise Cracker
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
This is the reason why hidden but trackable information (HTI) mechanics are often frowned upon in modern board games. If you search the forums, you'll find dozens, if not hundreds, of threads discussing this aspect of various games.

Long story short, writing down information that is supposed to be hidden as per the game's rules (as is the case with cards in Stone Age) is essentially a house-rule that removes memorization from the game. As such it is fair if and only if it's agreed upon beforehand and everybody does it. Otherwise, since the rules explicitly state that the information is supposed to be hidden, the memorization aspect is part of the skills needed to play the game well and 'memory aids' are cheating.

Agreed. Either everybody has that option or nobody. Some of us have better memories than others for tracking hidden information. But in tournament play, the rules of the game are followed explicitly, banning note taking in this case. A person with memory issues might want to invest in games with open information, especially if they intend to compete in tournaments. Me personally, I rarely if ever house rule a game. Most games are designed through rigorous play testing of "the rules". House ruling has the potential to promote play that was never intended and thus imbalancing or potentially breaking a game. I'm sure some would disagree with my position and that's fine. But I play by the designer's intent and rules. Tournaments are a no brainer, the rules as written by the designer are canon, thus leveling the playing field for all competitors allowing for the most skilled to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a terrible memory-so any memory-related requirement for any game puts me at a disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking notes by playing a board game who is meant for family, kids and younger audience, despite the deep strategy that it requires sometimes...
I think that that guy doesn't know how to enjoy himself, how to lose or probably he really wanted the 1st prize.
If it was Mage Knight or some heavy euro game, then I could understand, but Stone Age ?!
Just play and enjoy, simple as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming is a mental challenge.

Part of the challenge is memory.

Taking notes is pretty much cheating, unless you place your notes in the middle of the table for all to see..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
>>>--------->
United Kingdom
via Carnforth
Lancs
flag msg tools
Seriously bad form! Card counting is highly desirable skill in many games, but it's precisely that: a skill to be developed and honed.

Should I be allowed a chess computer to help against an opponent who can visualise many more moves ahead than I can? Should I have a lawyer present during negotiation games? Should I check spellings on the internet before committing myself in word games? Am I using ridiculous hyperbole and too many rhetorical questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He should be happy nothing worse happened. Just imagine someone in vegas trying to take notes at the black jack table.

This is basically the hidden but trackable information problem that comes up every so often in board games. An early poster expressed things rather nicely in this regard.

For stone age specifically, a better solution, if agreed to by all players, would be to score the cards when bought. Keep them face up in player's areas and adjust scores whenever someone gets a tool, farm, etc and have the corresponding cards. This is still technically note taking, but it's doing it for everyone. Personally, I think it would be a PITA, slow the game down, and otherwise kill a good chunk of enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general rules, games should be played with nothing else than what comes in the box. So no taking notes of any kind. Memory is a skill.

Otherwise people will be showing up with laptops soon to calculate odds and provide best decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
He should be happy nothing worse happened. Just imagine someone in vegas trying to take notes at the black jack table.

This is basically the hidden but trackable information problem that comes up every so often in board games. An early poster expressed things rather nicely in this regard.

For stone age specifically, a better solution, if agreed to by all players, would be to score the cards when bought. Keep them face up in player's areas and adjust scores whenever someone gets a tool, farm, etc and have the corresponding cards. This is still technically note taking, but it's doing it for everyone. Personally, I think it would be a PITA, slow the game down, and otherwise kill a good chunk of enjoyment.

Scoring the civilization cards would be a misery to boot, because you can accumulate multiple sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:
kusinohki wrote:

Scoring the civilization cards would be a misery to boot, because you can accumulate multiple sets.

Actually, I think those cards would be the easiest. 1st card scores 1, 2nd - 3, 3rd - 5, 4th - 7 etc. Duplicates would score the same way. 1st duplicate 1, 2nd dup - 3, etc. Still not as easy as scoring it all at once at the end, but seems easier than "I just got a tool. I have 4 tool makers so 4 pts. I just got a tool maker. I have 5 tools, so 5 pts."

*shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Lương Kim
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Well said, guys. I now understand how other players feel. No note taking, then.

And if we're supposed to play with only the things included in the box, then using my phone to calculate my own final score would be bad, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
darklordnd wrote:
And if we're supposed to play with only the things included in the box, then using my phone to calculate my own final score would be bad, too.

That's no longer the game at that point. You can use an abacus if it makes you happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the majority here, too. Tracking other players' cards, ethical or not, would just slow down the game and should be prohibited unless all players want to do it. Even then, I'd suggest using a stopwatch, egg timer, chess clock, or the timer on your 'phone to limit the amount of time a player could spend tracking points while other players are waiting for him or her to make a move.

One of the many things we like about Stone Age is the occasional option to pick up an extra card that counts only toward end-of-game scoring, without having to show anyone else what it is. This makes the final tally a little more of a surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Lương Kim
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Metal Rat wrote:
Tracking other players' cards, ethical or not, would just slow down the game and should be prohibited unless all players want to do it. Even then, I'd suggest using a stopwatch, egg timer, chess clock, or the timer on your 'phone to limit the amount of time a player could spend tracking points while other players are waiting for him or her to make a move.

Actually, taking notes doesn't slow down the game - it helps you make decisions even faster, because it only take a second and it gives you perfect awareness of the game's situation. In my case, I don't take paper notes but I use a Google Sheets spreadsheet on my phone and just input the numbers. The scores of everyone are shown right in my hand.

But well... if the majority of players don't think it's fair, then I should not be doing that anymore. Previously I just thought that if what I do doesn't negatively impact anyone else, and I follow the rules; it should be fine. I was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a tournament Magic player, I was keeping track of the life totals with pen and paper. I also noted what caused the damage because so it's easier to retrace the information if there's a disagreement on the life totals. While doing that, I would also keep track of a player's hand if I got a chance to look at it through a game effect.

This is acceptable.

But Magic is different from board games. Firstly, it's much more competitive. Secondly, there's only one opponent (and he's probably doing the same). And thirdly, the information is much less complex.

I wouldn't say that it's ethically wrong to keep track, it's just bad sportsmanship because you have an unfair advantage. Most people are not capable of keeping track of the game state when there are three other players at the table.

I assume this problem will come up again when augmented reality goggles becaome fashinable and there will be apps that keep track of this automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, reading through this, I feel like I'm the only sane person in Crazy Town. Of course it's okay to take notes. At the highest level of play, it should be testing your ability to out think your opponents, not out remember.

And for those that say " it doesn't come with a pen and paper, so it's not part of the game. HOUSE RULE! HOUSE RULE!", all I have to say is the game didn't come with chairs either, yet I see people using chairs all the time. By that logic, Stone Age is a game of civilization, and survival of the fittest. Part of that is having to stand through the whole game. If you collapse, because you are old and feeble, too bad, your civilization has just crumbled. Get off the table gramps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
Wow, reading through this, I feel like I'm the only sane person in Crazy Town. Of course it's okay to take notes. At the highest level of play, it should be testing your ability to out think your opponents, not out remember.

Really? Try taking notes in a bridge tournament some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:
crambaza wrote:

Really? Try taking notes in a bridge tournament some time.

Or BlackJack. Or a game of Memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wise Cracker
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:

And for those that say " it doesn't come with a pen and paper, so it's not part of the game. HOUSE RULE! HOUSE RULE!", all I have to say is the game didn't come with chairs either, yet I see people using chairs all the time. By that logic, Stone Age is a game of civilization, and survival of the fittest. Part of that is having to stand through the whole game. If you collapse, because you are old and feeble, too bad, your civilization has just crumbled. Get off the table gramps!

Here you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In most officiated sports, it is important to understand that the rules are whatever the referee says they are that day. Intentionally losing at badminton got teams thrown out of the Olympics after the referee informed the teams that they needed to try to win, as an example. In many sports, players have to play to the way the refs are calling things that day.

When the referee indicated there would be no writing down things, that became the rule for that day. Whether or not it started as 'the agreement', it became so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Gaming is a mental challenge.

Math is a mental challenge. Gaming should be a "fun" challenge.

Geosphere wrote:

Part of the challenge is memory.

Then you are exclusionary in your gaming paradigm. Why do you hate people with bad memories???

Geosphere wrote:

Taking notes is pretty much cheating, unless you place your notes in the middle of the table for all to see..

In Stone Age, play with the cards and buildings taken face up.

Problem solved.

[This post brought to you by Mr. Dinkus]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I just realized that Ive been playing it wrong. Since I know the game from yucata.de where open information is always displayed, I've played and taught the game like this as well.

Honestly though, it doesn't make much of a difference. There are too many numbers to multiply and add together.

However, I still think it isn't cool to keep exact score. (Even though that is displayed on Yucata as well.)

Unless you make that information publicly available. People with bad memory aren't punished, but they also gain no advantage. Deal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.