5 Posts

Imperium» Forums » General

Subject: The best Vassal Module for Imperium has an error. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
I'm playtesting and creating a Session Report of my Imperium IV rules set.

I'm doing it on Vassal to get used to it and to keep track of things.

I just noticed that the map on vassal is not the same as the game's map.

Specifically, in the bottom right area just below Procyon there are some jump lines not shown and some that are shown but are not on the game's map.

The jump line from Hades to Forlorn is not shown.
A jump line from Procyon to Calgary is shown. This line is 4 hexes long, so perhaps it ought to be there, but it isn't.

In practice, I don't see that this makes any difference. Actually, now I see that it does make a small difference.

What do most of you do about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The best Vassal Module for mperium has an error.
Good catch, thank you for mentioning it. I added in the missing line from Hades to Forlorn. The line from Procyon to Calgary is correct though it was missing from the original map, so the adding of that line in was a correction.

I have submitted the new file to Vassal, so once it passes though their moderation it should be available. Just re-download 1.06 in a day or so and it should have the corrected map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Ichirou wrote:
Good catch, thank you for mentioning it. I added in the missing line from Hades to Forlorn. The line from Procyon to Calgary is correct though it was missing from the original map, so the adding of that line in was a correction.

I have submitted the new file to Vassal, so once it passes though their moderation it should be available. Just re-download 1.06 in a day or so and it should have the corrected map.

Well yes, as I said, it could be a correction. But, I'd rather that it wasn't there.
That is, I liked the original map better because the Terrans need just 2 SC or DD to slow the Imp. in their usual 1st war offensive. With the change, they would need 3 SC to occupy all the lines of advance after Procyon (4 counting Junction).

An alternate "correction" would have been to move Calgary 1 hex further from Procyon.

Oops, my mistake. There is still a way to place 3 ships to delay any/all moves from Procyon toward Alpha Centauri, i.e. at Junction, Hades, and Inferno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understand that this was not some arbitrary decision on my part. This map is based on the expanded Imperium map as released by GDW, as well as the 2nd edition map from 1990. In both cases the line exists between Procyon and Calgary. In short, it was an errata for the 1st edition map.

The reason for this is that all the ships at this time can travel a maximum of 2 parsecs in one jump, i.e. 4 hexes. Thus the lines you see on the map are not wormhole lines or something of that sort, but rather they are a visual aid to the players for which stars are within 4 hexes of your current location.

So it was an acknowledged error that on the old 1st edition map, the line between Procyon and Calgary was inadvertently omitted and this was corrected on the later maps, just like my omission of the line that should have existed between Hades and Forlorn needed to be corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Ichirou wrote:
Understand that this was not some arbitrary decision on my part. This map is based on the expanded Imperium map as released by GDW, as well as the 2nd edition map from 1990. In both cases the line exists between Procyon and Calgary. In short, it was an errata for the 1st edition map.

The reason for this is that all the ships at this time can travel a maximum of 2 parsecs in one jump, i.e. 4 hexes. Thus the lines you see on the map are not wormhole lines or something of that sort, but rather they are a visual aid to the players for which stars are within 4 hexes of your current location.

So it was an acknowledged error that on the old 1st edition map, the line between Procyon and Calgary was inadvertently omitted and this was corrected on the later maps, just like my omission of the line that should have existed between Hades and Forlorn needed to be corrected.

OK, I didn't know that it was changed in the 2nd Ed.

In that case you are right in what you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.