Subject: Salonika before MEF. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RedPlanet
Australia
Gold Coast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AS a noob I was wondering is it common to play Salonika before MEF = no MEF on the NE?

this I see free's up the Turks 3 corps to go elsewhere. But gives a 4/4 repeat card to the AP.
Will 3 TU corp stifle a RU CAU army?

The high cost of MEF activation is gone, to do evil elsewhere! BUT is the threat of MEF more costly to the CP?

Also to throw this in, what if the CP does not play Bulgaria?
This stops any Salonika troops advancing towards Turkey.
They can attack AH towards Budapest, but with the threat of Bulgaria joining the CP later!

Aggghh, so many variables. Is there a penalty for the CP not playing 'Bulgaria' , that I cant see? (other than killing off Serbia or sending corps to NE)

cheers
loving the learning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jepsen Preusse
Denmark
Copenhagen S
Denmark
flag msg tools
If the CP does not play Bulgaria he can have a hard time getting to Total War also the CP can not SR corps to help the Turks without a land connection, should they need to.

Consider this scenario: Play MEF, this will likely lead to the AP SRing Turkish corps in to contain its advance. Then follow up with the Russian CAU army, if you are so lucky to draw both in the same turn. Ofcourse the Turk can just OPS corps in to block the threat from the CAU army, but they will have to come from nearby since you can not SR two times in a row.

But in my limited experence I have had more use for the MEF card in rotation and not as reinforcement.

Philip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Reasons I play MEF:
* War Status - if it ensures I get to Total War in a timely fashion, I'll play it. With US uninvolvement costing 2VP in the tournament scenario, this card is often used to help accelerate the Yanks into the game.

* Initiative Stealing - playing this on AP round 5 usually forces an immediate CP response. Thus denying them the play of RPs or an event they'd have otherwise preferred.

* Bedeviling the Turks. This can be quite the threat, especially if Bulgaria is not in. Combined with Allanby, Orient, and Yud, these events all combined in close time proximity will often be fatal for Turkey.

The REAL decision is which beach to bring them into...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RedPlanet
Australia
Gold Coast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="gregorit"]Reasons I play MEF:
* War Status - if it ensures I get to Total War in a timely fashion, I'll play it.q]

thanks again Tom!
just a question, when you say "Advancing War Status", do you mean just shedding cards? because there is no WS value on the card ......

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
thanks again Tom!
just a question, when you say "Advancing War Status", do you mean just shedding cards? because there is no WS value on the card ......

Sure there is. The "(1)" after "MEF" means you add 1 to War Status.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RedPlanet
Australia
Gold Coast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdgalt wrote:
Quote:
thanks again Tom!

Sure there is. The "(1)" after "MEF" means you add 1 to War Status.

Ahhhh Ha!!!

I own the game , but have not punched it or unwrapped the cards.
I have been using vassal with cards I got from a print file here.....
MEF hasn't got the (1), and I didn't notice it on the vassal card!!!

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.