Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AWESOME! I've been looking for a long time to get a good soloable tile laying games, and I've finally found it, yey!

Bernd Eisenstein is quickly becoming one of my favorite designers.

That's it, just had some praise to share
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear.
Enjoy the game

Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Gaidos
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not see much said about the solo aspect of Palmyra. Could you a bit more information about what you like about the game solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvrbait wrote:
I do not see much said about the solo aspect of Palmyra. Could you a bit more information about what you like about the game solo?

The solo variant explained in the rules has 5 difficulty levels, which have different starting number of tiles and target scores.
Basically after every turn you remove 3 coins from the game, which makes the solo a cool little race game to achieve the target score.

In the solo games I've played so far I've either lost or barely managed to reach the goal. So there's quite some challenge, the games are fast and the setup super easy, which makes for a great solo game imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Gaidos
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick reply. It's exactly what I needed, and I will try to find a copy of Palmyra.

I couldn't agree more. Those games that are quick and have a fast set up and tear down make it to the table more than longer games. Never seems to be enough time in my schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I like this solo too.

I think the game deserves more recognition than it appears to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
Slovak flag...proud 7/8 Slovak, 1/8 Polish
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this and was reading the rules and watching the BGG video on youtube. Seems like I will enjoy it!

Question: when playing solo, do we still use the censor? Since we're not playing for the highest number of coins. Or do the coins we collect go "in the box" as well to count toward the 55+?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
historysteph wrote:
Just got this and was reading the rules and watching the BGG video on youtube. Seems like I will enjoy it!

Question: when playing solo, do we still use the censor? Since we're not playing for the highest number of coins. Or do the coins we collect go "in the box" as well to count toward the 55+?

Thank you!

You do play with the censor. The goal of the solo variant is to collect a target amount of coins before the coins themselves run out (you remove 3 coins from the supply after EACH action you take). Without censor you cannot collect money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if you're taking coins from the supply with the censor, doesn't that mean the game will end more quickly? It seems you wouldn't want to move it because it would hasten the end of the game. Feels like I'm missing something here...not very good at reading rules and understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
historysteph wrote:
But if you're taking coins from the supply with the censor, doesn't that mean the game will end more quickly? It seems you wouldn't want to move it because it would hasten the end of the game. Feels like I'm missing something here...not very good at reading rules and understanding.

You remove 3 coins from the supply after every action you make. If you didn't have the censor and would just use the other guy to get tiles, you would end up with 0 coins wouldn't you.
Every difficulty level has a target amount of coins you need to reach by the end of the game: 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 (if I remember correctly). So yeah, taking coins makes the game end earlier, but you gotta take coins to achieve those target scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I thought the end goal was coins in the box. The rules talk about putting coins in the box and then say the goal is earn 55 coins. Makes sense now since end of game is still determined when the tiles run out, I assume there would be enough coins! Thank you for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.