Subject: 5/6 player fascist power variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Brand
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played more than 50 games of Secret Hitler with a variety of groups, and the main thing which I think could do with house-ruling is the fascist power for 5/6 player games.

The power allows the president to look at the top three cards of the policy deck and put them back in order. We've found that if a liberal president gets this power, the liberals gain a huge advantage because they can purposefully vote down governments to force liberal policies. Even if a fascist president gets it, there's not much they can do to screw with the liberals except maybe say it's two fascists followed by a liberal. Of course there are some situations where it's interesting, but most of the time it's a bit of a let-down.

We've tried a few different solutions to this problem:

Switch it for a president choice: This felt underpowered
Switch it for an investigation: This felt overpowered
Keep it the same, but the president is not allowed to say what the cards were until they have been played: This has been our favourite so far. Fascists could screw with liberals by disagreeing with the play even when the disagreement didn't make logical sense, and it gave a reasonable amount of power to liberals too. This removes the ability of liberals to just keep rejecting governments.

Any other ideas? Do others have this issue or is it just the way our meta has evolved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's interesting, our group's meta evolved to keep the card knowledge secret until after the next play without any house rules. It seems to be the better option for liberals anyway, since they can wait and sniff out any fascists.

Of course, this means that fascists will pick up the same strategy and call out liberals as fascists.

I think the policy peek can be interesting if people know how to mess with it. In general, though, I feel like 5-6 Secret Hitler is scaled poorly, and haven't found any specific house rules to make it scale as well as The Resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the way your meta has evolved because there aren't very many ways to actually use this power. You are spot on with your criticism of the power, it is often very uninteresting and at worst leads to a degenerate free Liberal policy when a Liberal is on top.

If a Liberal sees the top policy is a Liberal card, they have no reason not to tell anyone; it is a free Liberal policy so you vote down 3 governments and get it for free.

If a Fascist sees the top policy is a Liberal card and they don't tell anyone, they pretty much have outed themselves as a Fascist (or a Liberal who just helped the Fascists) because they denied the Liberals the opportunity for the thing above.

If the top card is a Fascist card, the power is pretty anemic, and rarely leads to very interesting plays.

I'm sure it could be fixed wiht a more interesting power, but I mostly just add it to the reasons I don't prefer to play 5/6 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
msg tools
I have said this on another SH topic regarding this power, and I believe this power is 'fixed' when it is a peek then shuffle of the three cards. This solves the afforementioned issue of liberals reliably top decking the liberal policy, while at the same time the player who peeked still knows the three policies to be drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Brand
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The shuffle idea sounds interesting, we'll give that a go. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
msg tools
No problem, let us all know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.