Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm pretty much completely adversed to allowing to lose an astronaut during a mission. I'm the same when I play Hostage Negotiator where I feel like a game is lost if anyone at all dies, even though it's built into the game (the latter allowing certain hostage survivors for a win). The same seems here in that you can lose an astronaut and deal with a -2 and move on. I can understand it and can see how it works for real too; it hasn't stopped progress in the past and I assume that it made the industry safer.

The remains of the astronaut Vladimir Komarov, a man who fell from space, 1967

So, my question is how you all feel about it? Do you drop everything else during other missions to rescue, if possible? Do you not launch without knowing (as much as possible - test, test, test) that it will be a success? Would you cancel a mission if the radiation situation was looking like a no-go? After all this, if you lose one, do you count that as a fail, even though the points still all add up to a good score? Do we accept that it happens, chalk it up and move on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I accept the fail, chalk it up and move on.

That said, I think that if the factions were made asymmetrical, attitudes to astronaut loss could be one factor in the asymmetry. American culture places a higher value and concern on individual lives than some other cultures. Phil Eklund has done this in High Frontier in which the Chinese faction suffers no penalty from "decommissioning" crew in space.

[Edit] I just read that article and I'm somewhat surprised by the depiction of this tragedy. In other sources I've read there was reference to Komorov's professionalism and calm detachment, reporting on his status right up to his final moments. Professional test pilots (and astronauts) know the risks and do whatever they can to convey useful technical data about their flights.

[Edit2] And now after a little further research I find that this is a well-known internet conspiracy controversy; a can of worms probably best left closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobbit Life
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo, and I do everything I can to avoid astronaut loss, even if it involves me losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing them for lack of supply should be an auto-loss, otherwise they are test pilots, and that that group is pretty much uninsurable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan McGuire
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I game alone.
badge
Und die Vögel singen nicht mehr
mbmbmbmbmb
The interesting thing about this game is that I never consider it winning or losing; rather, a question of "what did I get accomplished in the given time?".

One can summarize the space race of the 50s and 60s as a "winnable" game in that the first to land on the moon wins. However, if you look at what both the Soviet Union and The United States lost in human life to win that game, then you start to see their deaths not so much as a loss as a sacrifice. It is a mechanism to deal with "losing" the game as it now becomes a way to honor their memories for helping us "win" said game. In the end, we owe a lot to those early cosmonauts and astronauts and test pilots as an example of what the human spirit can accomplish in such a short time.

...Still, it is a major bummer when I lose an astronaut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Backes
Germany
flag msg tools
I want to play my way through every soloable tile placement game there is!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
I play solo, and I do everything I can to avoid astronaut loss, even if it involves me losing.

Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts. I'll relax a bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Holy
msg tools
I also find the assertion that Vladamir Komarov spent his final moments cursing his government and his space program rather...out of character. Not only for a professional, but for the man himself.

I think it is worth pointing out that the audio released by the US listening post certainly suited a story the cold-war-era US wanted to tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.