1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: RPG Geek? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rpg [+] [View All]
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
I know that it must seem like blasphemy to ask about RPGs on a site called boardgamegeek.com ... but does anyone know of a similar website that I can use to get role-playing game information?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmbmb
echo "55 14 1 * * root echo "RPG Geek?"" || 2&1 >> /etc/crontab.txt

crontab /etc/crontab.txt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
I know that it must seem like blasphemy to ask about RPGs on a site called boardgamegeek.com ... but does anyone know of a similar website that I can use to get role-playing game information?

Thanks!

My favorite RPG site is RPGGeek.com. Aldie runs that site too and it is very similar to BGG. Plus, I can access RPGGeek from work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
echo "55 14 1 * * root echo "RPG Geek?"" || 2&1 >> /etc/crontab.txt

crontab /etc/crontab.txt

su -
crontab -e
d
[shift] g
:wq

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an RPG fan too, well D&D mostly. But I haven't found any site anything like BGG. The closest I got was the wizards-of-the-coasts d&d forums, but they're a bit corporate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
I'm an RPG fan too, well D&D mostly. But I haven't found any site anything like BGG. The closest I got was the wizards-of-the-coasts d&d forums, but they're a bit corporate...

...on a non computer geek related response, I love RPGs too. Dunno why they aren't on here. We have every card game under the sun here at this point. I mean we have Euchre for goodness sake. The components of which are: A deck of regular playing cards. I'm sure some would cry havoc and unleash the flames of war but I would certainly not mind seeing RPG content here
Cheers,
Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Patience... patience. RPGGeek.com has been in the works for some time, and when it is ready, you will know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pen and Paper is a database of RPGs, authors, magazines etc. IT even has forums, but I don't use them.

http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPG.net has a game database.
http://index.rpg.net/

Not as advanced as BGG though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Madeira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Patience... patience. RPGGeek.com has been in the works for some time, and when it is ready, you will know.

Woohoo!! I really long for that day!

RPG.net's RPG database is light-year's far behind of what an RPG clone of BGG would be; Aldie really spoils us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
skelebone wrote:

..and then all of you can take pictures of your cat sitting on a stack of Shadowrun books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
skelebone wrote:

..and then all of you can take pictures of your cat sitting on a stack of Shadowrun books.

I have it in waiting...

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Madeira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

So... is it ready yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Madeira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

ninja So... It's been about two weeks, is it done yet, is it, is it?

Eheh.

But seriously is there anyone in particular we can beat the crap out of - ahem - incentivate to work harder on this? Maybe offer some helping hand, lobby for the new project, etc? Aldie's probably the default guy, sure, but he's already getting hundreds of geekmails per day and he can't read them all, so it would be very hard to bug him about this, eheh.

Anyway, I'm guessing Aldie still gets some hours of sleep each day, so I propose that we immediately arrange to have them cut out of his schedule and thereby make room for him to work 24/7 and divide all this time between BGG and RPGG! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Aldie, the hardest working man in all of 'Geekdom, has been working toward that end for nearly two years now. Most of the upgraded systems that you've seen over that time period (like Geeklist overhaul) were written with the express intent of being able to create (and most importantly, maintain) RPGGeek.com without killing him in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Madeira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja
skelebone wrote:
ninja

Hmm...

So... is done yet, is it, is it, is it? How much longer, daddy... I mean, Aldie?

Eheh. Come on, enough new BGG features already! Let's have at least an RPG database where we can start inserting some data!

But, (more) seriously now... is there anything we can do to help? Beta-testing, game database pre-population, spreading word around, recruiting persons of note within the RPG community, anything at all?

The RPG community could really use a site like this, with a fresh perspective on things and totally welcome to all RPGs games (and discussions about them) under the sun, not just one or a small subset of them. There is nothing like this in the whole damn internet! A site where each game/supplement can have its own foruns? A site where people are encouraged to look up other games, collect them, log their plays and play more and more, etc? It's entirely unheard of... and it's badly needed to help support the hobby as a whole in these times when RPGs seem to be declining in popularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a tease...

www.RPGGeek.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone knows if rpggeek is scrapped or if it's still scheduled to come around someday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Svarthand wrote:
Anyone knows if rpggeek is scrapped or if it's still scheduled to come around someday?
It is still on its way. As Derk said, most of the upgrades you see on BGG are designed to allow us to expand beyond board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
Has Aldie given any prediction on when it's likley when rpggeek.com will lauched? Eg. within a year, two years or something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Madeira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja

ricmadeira wrote:
So... is done yet, is it, is it, is it?

Is it, is it?

Hehe.

But seriously, I think the hobby could *really* use something like this... before it dies off entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
hehe.

Ricardo, you're gonna be one our rpggeek admins, right? Right?

Seriously, there's nothing higher on Aldie's list of things to do. Every major change you've seen go in over the last nine months (like the recent complete re-write of the forum system) are to support rpggeek.com.

There's nothing that we want more than to start rpggeek.com, this I promise...

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Madeira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? Wow. That's great to hear, thanks Derk!

I hope Aldie is not getting any sleep until RPGG gets open! devil

derk wrote:
Ricardo, you're gonna be one our rpggeek admins, right? Right?

Hey, if you'd have me I'd be honored and do my best! wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
skelebone wrote:

That's amateur stuff. My cat has cyberware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
edosan wrote:
skelebone wrote:

That's amateur stuff. My cat has cyberware.

Nothing a monofilament whip couldn't fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |