Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Running
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SPOILERS AHEAD:

We just finished this case last night and couldn't figure out how Armitage followed his path. He goes to Leonore Robinson for some reason, armed with Requirement Card #1. Where did he get that. Looking at the book, it's clear we could have received it at the Asylum, but in no way was it ever a thought for us to go there. No clue we received suggested that location.

I hope I missed something, and I hope even more that Armitage just doesn;t have to play by the same rules.

Thanks for the insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McClure
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel,

We noticed something similar after we played.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We actually did get both card 1 and 2 after we visited the mole from the silver twilight (I think his name is Lyman - sorry I don't have the book in front of me). Of course, when you visit him he's got company, so you have to meet him at another location to get the clues. Realistically, that's two moves you need to make before you can get the card. I suppose you could also go to the Asylum, but like you said, how could you know to go there? And even if you do, that means your first move is the Asylum, so how does Armitage get to read the supplemental encounter on his first move?

I have to say, I love this game. Absolutely love it. However, I'm a bit concerned about some of the typos. I've only done the first two cases, and both seemed to have a mistake. I've seen some suggestions that a few of the future cases also have mistakes, and some are saying that one of the cases has an issue that makes it unsolvable. It's a little disheartening if this is the true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Running
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nick,

We got 2 clue cards from Lyman, but not card #1, which Armitage began the investigation in possession of. How he acquired it was our source of confusion. But, yeah, looking at the threads about cases 4 & 6 is a touch disheartening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manasa Kandula
Netherlands
flag msg tools
After finishing this case, Im more confused than when I started.
I feel like Armitage made a very large leap (by going to Leonore Robinson directly). Im used to SCHD where Sherlock deduces more than investigates. But, you eventually catch up with him. This case to me was unsolvable unless you decided to meet Robinson. There are no other logical paths that lead there. I made my way to Lyman and worked it out. But, honestly had no reason to go to Lyman eiher other than "what the hell, might as well try because the cabbie mentioned the lodge". Even meeting the cabbie was out of desperation, as it was pretty evident (from meeting Pasquale, Morris and Corbett) that it was a vampire capable of flight and did not need a taxi. Did anyone else find a logical reason to pursue Lyman or Robinson?

Also, in the intro you were asked to find out how to stop the creature, but Armitage doesn't go to the location where it is revealed (is this part of obvious Cthulu mythology?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manasa Kandula
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Daniel,
Going to that location seemed illogical to me too.
Only if you go to the library to see if you've missed something, do you get directed to the asylum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we were calling BS on Armitage doing that encounter.

I've only done the first two cases, but I kind of wonder if
Armitage knows more than he lets on. There is reason to suspect him, and maybe he gets a head start because he does know more than he's telling.

But I admit that that's a stretch. I suspect it was an error, but I like my explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ireland
msg tools
We just finished case 1 and 2 and we're wondering same thing. It may be that Armitages location list isn't in order. They're bullet points rather than numbered so maybe it's just a list in no order.
Otherwise it's total balls because there's nothing to tell him to go to that location and no way to receive the supplemental.

Maybe it's because I sucked arse at that case but I'm desperate to know how someone would have aced it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spuderus wrote:
We just finished case 1 and 2 and we're wondering same thing. It may be that Armitages location list isn't in order. They're bullet points rather than numbered so maybe it's just a list in no order.
Otherwise it's total balls because there's nothing to tell him to go to that location and no way to receive the supplemental.

Maybe it's because I sucked arse at that case but I'm desperate to know how someone would have aced it.

I don't think we aced it, but I thought we did pretty good with a score of 17. This is how we did it:
1. D45 Corbett Criminalologist sent us to the cabbie.
2. D34 Arlington Hoppins Cab Dispatcher sent us to Sebastian Lyman.
3. L4 Pasquale Fenton sent us to Turks at the Diner & suggested a vampire.
4. L18 Sebastian Lyman spoke in code and sent us to a house in French Hill.
5. F64 Sebastian's meet up got us Requirement Cards 1&2.
6. N29 Desolation Road Cafe was a red herring.
We decide we need to know more about Jebadiah and his son.
7. L1 Dorothy Davis Arkham Historian was in a hurry to get to the Baptist Church. We thought that was a red herring. (Now I'm not so sure)
Here we were at a loss and started scouring all our clues so decided to follow up on an article in the paper.
8. D10 Jail Theresa Morris told us about The Unvisited Isle.
At this point we deduced that it was a vampire that was buried on the Isle and accidentally brought back to life with Elloitt's blood. We figured the vampire was Jebadiah Cahill's son and it was trying to recreate the Necrominicom on human skin.
9. M3 Unnameable House Here we encountered the vampire at night and were badly injured. We had to spend the morning recovering.
Now we were convinced we had most of the story and we just wanted to tie up some loose ends. We knew we had to solve the case by or near 11 locations and we still had some time, so we decided to double check some stuff.
10. C23 Emelia Seargent Librarian sent us to the Sanitarium to check up on Patty McCullough.
11. D1 Arkham Sanitarium Patty McCullough confirms she is possessed by Noah Cahill.
We still were trying to find more out about Noah Cahill so we decided on one last location.
12. C17 The History Professor told us that Jebadiah buried his son on The Unvisited Isle.

We were able to answer questions 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, & 11 for 20 points and lost 3 points due to sanity loss at M3 and visiting 2 more locations than Armitage for a score of 17.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Patterson
United States
flag msg tools
Don't forget, in the last 2 pages of the rule/instructions booklet, it lists your Allies. These are contacts at locations that you don't need to wait to acquire "leads" or "clues" for. Depending on their expertise and knowledge you may choose to treat them as valuable sources from the start, and visit their locations. Leonore Robinson (C17) is one of those allies, specializing in "all matters historical" and "is an expert on the oral history of the Miskatonic Valley and is also well-versed in folklore." Therefore, you do not need to ever come across a "clue" or "lead" that takes you to visit Leonore (In fact you don't in either Investigation 1 OR 2, yet she provides branches and storylines in both). You can choose to do so right away on your first turn (as she's one of your allies/informants), or when you reach a dead end later in the investigation, or feel like there's too many red herrings to pursue and decide to reach out to your allies. Also, the Sanatorium (D1) is also listed under your Allies, so you can also choose to visit their on your first turn if you so wish.

That being said, Armitage should not have been able to "unlock" Supplemental 1 at Leonore's Office without Requirement Card 1, which was acquired from Patty in the Sanatorium or from Lyman at his secret meeting place, which he clued you into (via "code") at his Silver Twilight Lodge residence. So Armitage being able to unlock that path on his first turn makes no sense, mostly due to the fact that at minimum, he would have to visit the Sanatorium on Turn 1 (the Sanatorium being listed under your "Allies"), and then go to visit Leonore on Turn 2, with your newly acquired Requirement Card 1. And even then, that is without actually acquiring the Sanatorium lead in the normal Investigation from either Emilia Sergant at the Orne Library (C23) OR via the lead from Donnie Clarke at the Arkham Advertiser (N28) which leads you to the West Dorm (C18), which if visited in the day would give you the Sanatorium lead.

Technically it would take Armitage at least 1 turn extra, but more realistically 3 turns extra (minimum). Turn 1 = Cabbie Arlo - ALLIES (D34) > Turn 2 = Sebastian Lyman (L18) > Turn 3 = Lyman's Secret Meeting Place (F64) > Turn 4 = Leonore Robinson (C17) and now he has the Requirement Card needed to unlock Supplemental 1 at Leonore's Office.

That being said, while we did much worse on this Case than we did on the first Case, we still won. We were able to deduce a lot of the answers we weren't 100% sure on, and we still figured out the gist of it. Even though Armitage started out with a 1-3 turn advantage with secret required info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.