Gearworld: The Borderlands» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Failed Attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Sunnyside
New York
flag msg tools
I'm prepping to play this for the first time tomorrow, and there is a rule I'm having trouble wrapping my head around

"Failed Attacks
The attacking player flips all tokens that have their
spearhead sides faceup to their standard sides. Then, he
may choose to perform another attack action declaring
a different target. The plastic figure on the target from
the previous attack action remains tipped on its side to
indicate that it cannot be the target of another attack
during the current active player’s turn. The attacker is free
to declare any of his land areas, horses, and developments,
as part of his force for subsequent attack actions."

If I'm reading this right, the player can keep attacking until he gets a success, with the only restriction being they cant attack the same location twice. Could anyone explain how this plays out, it seems like it is a big part of the game. Is there a strategy to attack areas expecting to fail, to draw strength away from your true target? Anything I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There will only be a limited number of places where you might make an attack. There's no random element, so the only uncertainty is whether you can get allies to either support you or remain neutral. So you usually see whether you have enough strength to attack somewhere, then negotiate with possible allies, and if you can't make it work then you look somewhere else. The number of other places you might attack will be limited.

It's possible, but unlikely that an ally will promise to support you and then back out at the last minute. But I think the real purpose of the failed attack rule is to discourage people from spending ten minutes adding up the numbers for a desired attack, giving up, then suddenly realizing there's another way they could have made it work and then start counting again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.