Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Quote:
Play during your opponent's turn.
Action: Choose a character committed to a story. Remove that character from that story. Then, that character's controller must commit it to a different story, if able.

Just to make sure, I get the card right:
- I would usually play the card after the opponent has committed characters, but before I did.
- "must commit" is a directive, not an action, so the card doesn't actually commit the character itself. As most characters would be exhausted, they would typically not be able to commit again at all.

Are those correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play during your opponent's turn.
Action: Choose a character committed to a story. Remove that character from that story. Then, that character's controller must commit it to a different story, if able.

"I would usually play the card after the opponent has committed characters, but before I did."

You can play it during any action window, but yes, this is a good choice of timing because it allows you to see where your opponent puts the removed character before making your commitment choices.

"As most characters would be exhausted, they would typically not be able to commit again at all."

Being exhausted doesn't prevent them from committing here, that is a cost for one specific way to commit a character (the typical way where you exhaust in order to commit in the story phase) but it does not apply to other ways to commit a character. Note that being exhausted does not actually prevent you from committing even in the normal way, it just makes that character unable to pay a cost. So, they should normally be able to re-commit elsewhere with Polar Fog unless there is some other effect which prevents this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
dboeren wrote:
[...]So, they should normally be able to re-commit elsewhere with Polar Fog unless there is some other effect which prevents this.

I'm confused about this. The FAQ states that "must commit" is a directive to the player, not an actual ability, so Polar Fog shouldn't allow a commitment on its own.
As far as I understand it, Y'Golonac doesn't allow a special commitment, but just restricts the normal one and uses basically the same language.
Why does Polar Fog commit the card itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the FAQ says:

"However, card effects that state a
character “must commit” during the
‘active player commits’ or ‘opponent
commits’ windows do require the
character to be ready and uncommitted
to work, and the targeted character
would then exhaust to commit as usual."

Y'Golonac's ability is of this type, it is telling you commit in a certain way but still as part of the normal commit window.

Polar Fog is more general though, it's telling you to commit independent of the normal commit window which is why that FAQ paragraph does not apply to Polar Fog and this matches the apparent intention of the card as well.

It's also worth noting that Polar Fog is an extremely old card from the Mountains of Madness expansion - actually originating from the CCG era, so its text doesn't quite match modern standards. FFG isn't trying to trick anyone with bizarre wording, it was just written at an early time in the game's history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification.
I was just confused, because neither card specifically mentions the commit window specifically. This seems to make more sense, though.

And I just realized, that if Polar Fog didn't allow a commit itself, you couldn't commit at all, as the window is over.
So yeah, I just confused myself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.