Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Product Shortage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Jandt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
With the run on core sets, will there be as much of a shortage on the expansions?

How important are preorders on those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just say my local game store cancelled my pick up order from their website that I did yesterday because when they actually ended up counting their boxes, they had not gotten enough product to fulfill their *preorders*.

Not sure how that's going to register on expansions but since they're already on the boat I'm guessing they haven't corrected for unforeseen popularity yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-ordered the Dunwich deluxe expansion from Minaiture Market as soon as it was announced to hedge against this. I also contacted a FLGS about the Mythos packs to ensure that I could get a foot in the door for all future releases.

On the upside, now that FFG is owned by Asmodee, their release schedules should be more reliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh.
My FLGS had like 6 boxes yesterday and no one was paying them any attention. Maybe I should pick up some spares
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
LCG core sets usually have this problem. I think this game has the additional issue of some people considering buying enough cores to support multiple full play sets (which in my mind is over kill, but to each his own).

The productions versus demand usually stabilizes after the game gets established. The packs still sell out every now and then, but usually not as quickly as the core sets seem to fly off the shelf in the beginning.

If you have a good relationship with your FLGS you can approach them about setting these things aside for you. If you are buying online I usually do preorder these products just to guard against this possibility (though the downside to this is you can't bundle purchases to reach free shipping totals). Team Covenant subscriptions is also an option for online shoppers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Jandt
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the responses folks. I just put in preorders for the next two expansions.

And Miniature Market now allows for orders to be put on customer hold and bundled with other held orders. I've done this and it works out great when you want to get things at different times and still save on the shipping. The only thing is that if you have any preorders that you want released you need to wait on your entire order that is bundled with it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
LCG core sets usually have this problem. I think this game has the additional issue of some people considering buying enough cores to support multiple full play sets (which in my mind is over kill, but to each his own).

Well also > 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think it's a mistake to try and accommodate even close to a full play set of cards for each player beyond the first. Usually LCGs are meant to be played with other LCG players. Those players having a collection of their own. To give multiple players full deck building freedom with just one collection in this game is going to be prohibitively expensive so I wouldn't even bother entertaining the notion.

That said in a higher player count game with two cores I've found it's easier for investigators to specialize and therefore include more of their primary faction cards without having to overlap too much with the other investigators. The issue will be the neutral cards in a >2 player game. I'd probably just proxy ones you feel you need or just compromise and give each player 1x of a card that's hotly contested like Unexpected Courage or Flashlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
With the way this game works in particular, I think it's reasonable for small groups to pool collections rather than everybody having their own collection. We can't both be Roland, so why do I need my own playset of Roland's cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Archer wrote:
With the way this game works in particular, I think it's reasonable for small groups to pool collections rather than everybody having their own collection. We can't both be Roland, so why do I need my own playset of Roland's cards?

Because half of "Roland's cards" are also Skids' cards, and the other half are also Daisy's.

Not to mention any future Guardian or Seeker Investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.