Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Are early iron weapons ever worth using? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So in a core game the last tier of gear in my eyes would be the lantern set and the phoenix set. Whilst I don't think the lantern set or phoenix set have any major issues (lantern could stand to be a little better) I do think that most of the lantern weapons are useless. They have decent looking stats but that's where they trick you. Early iron is a really bad downside. Even though it might not sound too bad at first you begin to realise rolling a 1 is more likely than you'd perhaps think. It's weird because to me this makes them almost unusable... I feel like it is perhaps a design artifact of what was going to be expanded on in the lantern festival expansion. What do you think about the early iron weapons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
The Dragon Slayer is fine.

The Lantern Glaive is really good (it's an Axe and a Spear).

All Early Iron items get better when in the hands of a Red Savior or if you wear a Rainbow Wing Belt (from the Dung Beetle Knight).

I used it with the Rainbow Wing Belt, but doesn't the Red Savior ability get cancelled with the rest of the attack when early iron procs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
The Dragon Slayer is fine.

The Lantern Glaive is really good (it's an Axe and a Spear).

All Early Iron items get better when in the hands of a Red Savior or if you wear a Rainbow Wing Belt (from the Dung Beetle Knight).

I thought dragon slayer just had frail and not early iron too. I'm sure rainbow wing belt helps but I don't own DBK sadly. I do think it's clever how expansion gear seems to be designed with synergies in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Wing lets you reroll a attack 1 - that is, with 2R 1B 1G affinity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, low speed or a way to circumvent the 1's problem is what makes it worth it. Think the only one I tend to get is the poleaxe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up getting a Dragon Slayer before my first L2 Nemesis Encounter… and I subsequently used it to demolish the Kingsman a turn or two, before he flipped the table and slaughtered my A-Team.

It was worth it, dropping all of my Iron into the Gear for that, alone.

It doesn't say it anywhere, but that Dragon Slayer added +15 Morale to my Settlement…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lantern Sword has saved my ass on more than one occasion and it has a 3 speed. It sucks when you roll a 1 but I get more wounds out of it than most other swords. However, I've not delved into the expansions yet though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dash T
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, early iron can be a downside. However, if you want to hunt higher level monsters, often you want to guarantee damage whenever you hit, and that makes sharpness shines. The Lantern Sword is probably one of the best and easy to get sword you can get in game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.