Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
The original title that started the OCS Family, Guderian’s Blitzkrieg, comes with 6 Training Scenario’s. The Training scenarios, each being 1 to 2 turns long, progressively build on the previous one, so you can learn the system in bite-sized chunks.

I have been wanting to try out these Training Scenarios just for fun, and wish something like them had been included with Reluctant Enemies, which, in my opinion, really would have benefited by including actual training scenarios rather than just a single map with a handful of units as an “intro” into OCS. With these Training Scenario’s, new players to the OCS would have learned the system in a more structured manner instead of just following along with a 1st turn only Starter Guide.

I personally learned the OCS system 6 years ago by printing out Skinks Tunisia Example of Play and setting up the Race for Tunis and following along, moving the actual game components according to Skinks AAR. Great stuff and a Great time!

Not only have I been wanting to try out these scenarios and play the Campaign, but I want to do it using the original first edition rules. There are some mighty interesting rules in there that some of you may not know about that are no longer a part of the current ruleset. Doubling up Air Attacks, Travelling Interceptors, At all Cost Attacks and Anti-Overrun Barrages just to name a few.

So if playing out and writing up an AAR for each of these Trainers benefits anyone, then it was time doubly well invested.

Scenario 1: Solitaire – Mode and Move

This first Scenario demonstrates all the move mode functions (Combat and Move Modes of the Units themselves, plus Reserve and Strategic Modes) to discover the advantages (and disadvantages) of each.
The game length is 1 Turn only, but keep in mind, in the First Edition Series rules, there are Two Player Turn segments for each Game Turn, so 1 complete turn is equal to I Go/You Go, I Go/You Go. This first scenario is Solitaire, meaning the enemy gets no moves of its own (just there as targets), and there is no Overphase or Supply issues involved. Everything is Fueled up and ready to go.

To complete this Scenario successfully, two of the three Russian Artillery Brigades must be destroyed and a German Regiment in Combat Mode must be in Orel by the end of the turn. Also, at least 4 attack points must be used in each “attack” vs the Artillery.

The 3rd Motorized Division (minus their Artillery and Motorcycle units) will be used, consisting of the 8th and 29th Infantry Regiments and the 53rd Recon Battalion.

(Note: Black MPs denote Foot MPs and White denote Truck MPs in 1st edition)

At set-up, the 8th Infantry Regiment goes into Reserve and will receive the Honor of taking Orel, while the 29th Infantry Regiment and 53rd Recon Battalion will take on the Russian Artillery.

The 29th and 53rd advance to contact with the artillery in the Move Phase and the 8th moves ½ its MP’s (6) under Reserve.

During the first Combat Phase, one of the Artillery units is destroyed and removed from the map.

Both 53rd and 29th advance into the now vacant hex.

During Exploitation Phase, the 8th comes out of Reserve and heads East, using the Railroad tracks (for 1MP each) and then switching over to road movement, increasing its range to two Road Hex’s per 1MP, which places it halfway between Dmitrovsk-Orlovskiy and Kromy after using all 12 of its Truck MPs.

End of first part of Turn 1

Beginning of second half of Turn 1 (still in the 1st Game Turn)
The 8th flips over to its Combat Mode side and goes into Reserve

During the Movement Phase, the 53rd and 29th are already in position to attack the 2nd Artillery unit, so the 8th moves its 1.5 MP (now on Foot), bringing to the outskirts of Kromy.

The Combat Phase sees the 2nd Artillery unit destroyed with 4 or more attack factors, so half of the win conditions are now accomplished.

The Exploitation Phase brings the 8th out of Reserve and they move into Orel in Combat Mode with its 3MP, satisfying the 2nd half of the win condition.

The second Strategy (and really foolhardy and not recommended) is to use Strategic Move Mode. This will allow the 8th to reach Orel on the very first turn during the Movement Phase, using 22.5 MP’s.

During the 2nd Turn, it would remove itself from Strategic Move, flip to Combat side up, Move into Orel for the win.

This strategy is not advised due to all the inherent drawbacks that units would suffer while in Strategic Move Mode if they are attacked. Just shown here to show how much ground can be covered while in Strategic Move Mode.

The last instance, and most common, is whats known as Laying the Carpet.

The 29th will have to be in Move Mode (Truck MP) in this case and the 8th gets placed in Reserve in its starting hex.

The 53rd and 29th move into position adjacent to both Russian Artillery units during the Move Phase and the 8th moves up under Reserve. The 8th can only move 4 MPs instead of 6, otherwise it will be adjacent to an enemy unit and will lose its Reserve Status.

53rd and 29th attack the Arty Brigade to the East with 5 Attack factors in the Combat Phase, destroying it and advancing only with the 53rd.

This now allows the 8th to pop the Reserve during the Exploitation phase,

and since its all road movement, brings the 8th Infantry Regiment to within two hex’s of Orel,

which will then flip to Combat Mode and enter Orel during the next Movement phase, successfully completing all the requirements for the win.

There is one other way for this task to be completed, but the subject of Overruns is not yet meant to be learned. That particular feature is introduced in Training Scenario 3. The 53rd and 29th, both in Move Mode, could move adjacent to the first Arty unit, attack and Overrun it, which places it adjacent to the next Arty unit, which is Overrun as well, with MPs to spare. The 8th travels all the way up to Orel after coming out of Reserve and switches to Combat Mode in the Next turn.

The Victory Conditions are explicit on a Regiment being in Orel, so that eliminates the 53rd (which is a Battalion) from trying. If it were allowed, then it could reach Orel by going south over the train tracks once that arty unit was disposed of.

As was mentioned earlier, I got into OCS back in 2011, starting with Tunisia. It’s a fantastic system. I have been wanting to get Guderian’s Blitzkrieg to the table for a couple of years now and to play with the original ruleset, which is vastly different than the current 4.2, but you are still able to see the OCS DNA.

I hope someone will find value in these Training Scenario postings. For the most part, they are compatible with any OCS Ruleset, barring the Black/White Foot/Truck MP color switch, and could be fitted to any current OCS Title.

Next up: Combat!
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1670684/training-scenar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is brilliant for me...I just got the game! I have no other OCS (well I had DAK 2 but had to sell it unplayed to fund a move to Italy from the UK)and am really stoked about learning the system.

I too was very pleased to see these training scenarios and am happy to be learning about the system, even from this 'orphan'.

That being said I have not read the whole thread yet, I want to compare it to my first efforts.

Thanks for putting this up. At the moment I am playing (and filming some of) GD '40 from the TCS series (for example (EDIT modest see below blush for the latest). (On second thoughts I don't want to put up a huge video picture since that kind of self-advertisement seems out of place here, I will try this instead : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVflUPcxZio
It will be a while, but I intend to come back here and reply to this thread after my GB trial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Down the tubes
Hello Mr T. I learned this the one through trial and error. Don't post the whole address just the youtube ID like this: youtube=ID of clip.

Don't forget to put square brackets [ ] around it. Yours was jVflUPcxZio. Thus:

The sound is fine by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Klyuykov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Very interesting experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MoriQuessir wrote:

Yes indeed, very interesting. I'm halfway through Training Scenario 4 which introduces supply. Can you imagine the shock of being able to fuel a Panzer Division for what amounts to four full turns (in current OCS) with just 2 SP!surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Spiering
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
MoriQuessir wrote:

Yes indeed, very interesting. I'm halfway through Training Scenario 4 which introduces supply. Can you imagine the shock of being able to fuel a Panzer Division for what amounts to four full turns (in current OCS) with just 2 SP!surprise

You can still do this in the current OCS rules... just forget to pay on two turns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spiering8 wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:
MoriQuessir wrote:

You can still do this in the current OCS rules... just forget to pay on two turns

True, just something convenient about knowing your entire army is at full supply or half supply (havn't got to the no supply effect yet) and can move at will for that length of time.
However, I'm already counting up my remaining German SP's knowing I still have half a turns worth of operations to get throughangry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Spiering
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When will we see the combat overview? Nice to see where the series came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be soon, I posted it last night. I also have Training scenario 3 wrote up and ready to go. That one I did twice. It was a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you saying that current OCS would require more SP for that Division in that time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agip wrote:
Are you saying that current OCS would require more SP for that Division in that time?

Supply is handled much differently. During the OverPhase, you determine your supply usage for the upcoming turn (which is equal to 4 current turns). Your options are full supply or half supply. You cannot choose no supply. If you don't have enough to put units in half supply, you burn your remaining supply and still end up in No supply. Air Bases are also supplied for the turn and a die roll is then used to determine how many planes can be refitted.

Attacks cost 2T unless attacking units are 1 RE or less, then just 1T. Defensive Combat supply is 1T only, and is negated if Defenders are 1 RE or less and can Trace to there supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Klyuykov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Btw, could you please add the links to the rest of the articles in the end of every article (as the release of the articles)? It will make the navigation through the series sweet. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent H
Sweden
Sundsbruk
N/A
flag msg tools
mb
This is an amazing effort of you to show this. Thanks! As a person who struggle to learn OCS i would love to have these scenarios translated to the new rules and based on Reluctant Enemies map and counters. That would help tremendously for us beginners.

My hope is that the famous dude "someone" will make that happen.

Thanks again,
/K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,and your welcome. I agree that RE should have included these training scenarios to truly make it a beginner's entry level module into OCS. As it is, although a good game, it's just an OCS game for people who have limited room in my opinion.

These could be engineered to work with RE easily enough I should think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MoriQuessir wrote:
Btw, could you please add the links to the rest of the articles in the end of every article (as the release of the articles)? It will make the navigation through the series sweet. Thank you!

Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.