Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We like this game, but rarely get to play because my husband has a difficult time distinguishing the colors. The board, cubes and cards don't match in hue so I think that complicates matters. Even I have To tell myself that you can't mistake yellow, so the card must be for a tan cube.

Does anyone have simple ideas to make this color-blind friendly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a sharpy and write letters on the cubes/illustrations on the cards you often mix up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple, no

I would suggest the only real way to do this would be to make a re-theme/PnP of the game. As truly make it non-reliant on colour you would need to

1. Mark up the cubes with unique symbols on each side AND mark similarly on the cards.

2. Replace the miniatures of (at least) 3 of the players with different shaped miniatures or pawns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
Simple, no

I would suggest the only real way to do this would be to make a re-theme/PnP of the game. As truly make it non-reliant on colour you would need to

1. Mark up the cubes with unique symbols on each side AND mark similarly on the cards.

2. Replace the miniatures of (at least) 3 of the players with different shaped miniatures or pawns.

Being colour blind myself and knowing quite a few colour blind people, I can assure you that for most of us red/blue/white/black does not pose a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
The color palette of this game is definitely a downside. The yellow, khaki, and silver resource cubes are easy to confuse casually, even for the color-normal, and the tiles don't stand out well against the map (except the orange one). The artwork is very nice, so from that perspective I wouldn't change it, but from a practical perspective, it can slow things down.

No good suggestions for you, sorry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find distinguishing the beige from yellow can be a pain sometimes depending on how well lit the room is. Not just on the cubes but on the cards. I don't really have a problem with the other colors. I've been tempted to put a little black dot on each of the beige cubes and perhaps do the same with all the beige card illustrations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.