Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Shin
United States
Paramus
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still on the hunt for my first war-themed game.

So I am looking for something that:

1. Is historically accurate. I want to learn about the history.
2. Uses the Fog-of-War very effectively. I keep reading about this and think it's one of the coolest features of wargames.
3. Plays fast. I don't mind if it takes 3 days to finish, but as long as the other players are engaged.
4. No elimination. I don't want to know the winner 1 hour into a 20 hour game.
5. FUN! But of course, that's obvious.
6. Not scripted. Allows you to "change" history.

I'll write more if I think of any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My pick would be Eastfront II or maybe Europe Engulfed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
EastFront.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players were you looking at?
Any particular periods take your fancy?

Fog of war has never been a huge interest for me, but many wargames do this quite well. Europe Engulfed is definitely a good game and plays up to 3 players easily. It also captures a lot of the historical events quite well.

The Burning Blue: My favourite fog of war game. It is more on the complicated side and its system for fog of war is the best I have played. It covers the Battle of britain and is designed for 2 players. I've found the bigger battles can be played in teams taking you up to 4 players. I've found it strategically satisfying, but on the complex side. Doesn't have much too down time though. Very historically accurate. Meets all your criteria, scales from a quick start game that lasts 3-4 hours to up to 8+ for some of the bigger scenarios. You could also try the air war over hanoi which is pretty much the same system I am told. It is also a bit cheaper.

OCS: any of the OCS games are fantastic games with pretty good Fog of War. I've played DAK2, but you could look at starting with the forgotten war or Burma. DAK2 is excellent but more complex and expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shin
United States
Paramus
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
How many players were you looking at?
Any particular periods take your fancy?

Fog of war has never been a huge interest for me, but many wargames do this quite well. Europe Engulfed is definitely a good game and plays up to 3 players easily. It also captures a lot of the historical events quite well.

The Burning Blue: My favourite fog of war game. It is more on the complicated side and its system for fog of war is the best I have played. It covers the Battle of britain and is designed for 2 players. I've found the bigger battles can be played in teams taking you up to 4 players. I've found it strategically satisfying, but on the complex side. Doesn't have much too down time though. Very historically accurate. Meets all your criteria, scales from a quick start game that lasts 3-4 hours to up to 8+ for some of the bigger scenarios. You could also try the air war over hanoi which is pretty much the same system I am told. It is also a bit cheaper.

OCS: any of the OCS games are fantastic games with pretty good Fog of War. I've played DAK2, but you could look at starting with the forgotten war or Burma. DAK2 is excellent but more complex and expensive.

I'm looking at 2-more players. I love the Overlord option on Memoir, but is there a more serious game with that?

Also if the game isn't scripted that would be good as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off Friedrich is the most obvious game not that I think of it. It isn't super historical, but it is probably one of the better Waro that have for of war. Another possibility is Shogun, which kind of simulates for of war in a rather odd way. I'm a big fan of Friedrich, less so of shogun, which is virtually a Euro.

other than what I mentioned above you could also look at some of the card driven games. These tend not to have a direct fog of war but do indirectly as hands of cards are secret.
2 Player only
Twilight Struggle - Cold War theme. One of my current favourites, love playing, very unscripted, strategic depth to boot.

Paths of Glory - WWI, like most CDGs it is wonderfully deep strategicly. For me it has the best card management out of any of them. This is the game for me where everything was done wright. Rich, complex and satisfying. A great game. Takes about 8 hours to play

Shifting Sands: A pretty good CDG, much like paths of glory, but in my opinion not quite as good. Mainly because the card play is not a exciting has less stragegic depth (no war status of card cycling). However this is still an excellent game about north africa in WII.

Also Consider the free print and play Free At Last, which you can get from this site, its really cool.

3+ players
Here I stand: Another great GMT game. This game covers the wars of reformation in the 16th C. Fantastic historical insight, involves lots of diplomacy and is another involved satisfying game.

others I haven't played
Napoleonic Wars (I think a new one is coming out soon) up to 4 player
We the People 2 player
Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage 2 player

If all else fails I would consider starting with Friedrich. It is a nice bridge to real wargames as it is relatively easy and it has a great fog of war mechanic. If your ready for something more complicated any of the games mentioned would be good.
Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Trifts
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing a it is topical this weekend... I would add Tide of Iron to the list.

It has the features you've listed as well as those that are important to any game: it's fun.

Tide of Iron is shipping now and may be in your FLGS now or will be later this week.

As a first wargame, I think Tide of Iron would be a commendable choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls