Legends Untold» Forums » News

Subject: Non Canon Heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Achingly close now guys, waiting for a few things to drop and we can submit to KS for approval then share with you lot for modifications.

As you know the 4 Heroes in the Caves set are 2 Female 2 Male, deliberately so. This will be repeated throughout the other packs in terms of equality.

As a pledge level we wanted to add alternate gender cards on the reverse of these so you can play the female Forgehand or the male one etc. the stats will be entirely identical.

We wanted to offer this up as 'face in the game' opportunity to help us raise funds.

I know this is not everyone's bag but does anyone have any thoughts on this idea good/bad/ indifferent?

We think this is inclusive and a way to get your face in the game but don't want to get this wrong and offend anyone.

Help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I don't like it when people's photos are used for game art, they always seem to stand out like 'oh look, there's an office worker dressed up as a Barbarian' or 'wow, that Sorceress looks a bit geeky'.

However I wouldn't say I'm offended by it and if it's the difference between a game funding and not funding then .....

Totally loving the equal gender split however!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like photos in games either, especially when the rest of the game will have consistent drawn art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TracyB wrote:
Personally I don't like it when people's photos are used for game art, they always seem to stand out like 'oh look, there's an office worker dressed up as a Barbarian' or 'wow, that Sorceress looks a bit geeky'.

This.

TracyB wrote:
Totally loving the equal gender split however!

And this.

I actually dropped a KS game because of all the pledge reward tiers that added backer names to cards and pictures to others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with not being keen on disturbing the aesthetic of the game with photos, etc.

I see the gender options as an easy thing to implement in this game, so I think it will be appreciated by many. I personally am indifferent about the mix of gender, but like the option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
very good idea in my opinion!
(might depend on the way the art is done (as pointed out above) - real life portraits in a fantasy setting might be difficult to pull off (glasses?...))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bennett
United Kingdom
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too bad an idea if it's done faithfully in the style of existing artwork (clothing, eyewear and all). It would be recognisable to the backer, but to everyone else it's unnoticeable. Definitely no photos though. Maybe restrict it to a single card? Just worried it may ruin the asthetic of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
msg tools
I am also not keen on people's photos used for art.

Though do like the different gender with same stats used on both sides of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Guys,

I should probably have clarified. The intent was to make a fantasy like picture out of a photo sympathetic to he artwork as per Dave Bennett's suggestion above.

It does sound like on balance people are not fans though. That's cool it is why we consult we really want to make the game as good as we can for you.

I think we may add the double sided Occupation cards to the ever growing Stretch Goal list.

Thanks for the responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW I did realise that was what you meant. I don't know why but even artistic impressions drawn from photos of real people still end up looking wrong and out of place (e.g. I hated what they did in Euphoria). I guess that just proves how 'unrealistic' artists impressions of fictional characters usually are

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Tracy yeah I think you may be right there about the unrealistic artistic intentions.

We will drop it unless it is the only way to get funded.

Exciting news on another thread coming soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
can you perhaps show us some final art pics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Locations are final art. The Goblin Shaman Foe is a final art picture. Some tweaks will still be made to the icons and so forth as required by the final feedback stage we are undertaking just now.

Where we need help and funding is to take our concept art and turn it into those final pictures for the game.

For example the Boss of the Caves deck - the Goblin Queen. Here is our concept art which requires to be finalised.

We want each Foe to feel like a society or grouping that makes sense rather than just an assembly of monsters. Our concept art focused on society and physical adaptations and we then built out the Foes from there. For example here is a page we did to make sure we got the hands just right, because to us these things are important.

I hope that helps?

Cheers
Kev
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
msg tools
I like the art in this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Nessie76 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I should probably have clarified. The intent was to make a fantasy like picture out of a photo sympathetic to he artwork as per Dave Bennett's suggestion above.

It does sound like on balance people are not fans though. That's cool it is why we consult we really want to make the game as good as we can for you.

I think we may add the double sided Occupation cards to the ever growing Stretch Goal list.

Thanks for the responses!

If it helps fund the game, and gain additional backing I'm all for it. However it would have to be something where it's just used for reference and they won't look like that person to a distinguishable level. Honestly I think if you do it that way, people will still grab it and likely be interested in "what would a dwarf version of me look like to the artist?" type of thing. Just be completely transparent that it won't look like them, just have some of their features as inspiration (like hair length/style, eye color, complexion *id love to see a freckled female elf envisioned by the artist*, and Facial hair for the male versions *ooh an elf with a 5 o'clock shadow!*).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.