Evolution: CLIMATE» Forums » General

Subject: Played 1st game, does climate marker move enough? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Myles Carey

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
Family enjoyed our first game (4 player) of climate.

Climate token only moved one space to cold side and back/forth during the game.

For those that have played more games it that typical?

I like drama and want that needle to get pegged not waver in the safe middle.

Anybody thinking house rules : 3+ difference then move marker 2 spots?

Then again I one who loves playing the pest card in evolution kickstarter , low food = excitement /drama for me.

Thanks, Myles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Kriegler
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've so far only tried a few games with myself (as 2 players) to learn the rules. A few times I saw my enemy would be pretty much wiped out if I pushed the temp to an extreme level and took a hit myself, but I at least know it was going that way and could adapt before them. So I guess it depends on the players and whether they want to manipulate the weather a different way to the rest. This worked well in my 2 player tries, but when there are more players it would probably be hard to swing the weather out like this. I'm eager to try though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
The more your players play Climate the more the climate will be used as a tool for their species and against their opponents species, or at least the attempt will be to do so. When I was playtesting this with various groups new Climate players wouldn't move it all that much (or would try to keep it neutral for a short long as possible), but after a game or two the needle would swing much more as players learned how to use the mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
The more your players play Climate the more the climate will be used as a tool for their species and against their opponents species, or at least the attempt will be to do so. When I was playtesting this with various groups new Climate players wouldn't move it all that much (or would try to keep it neutral for a short long as possible), but after a game or two the needle would swing much more as players learned how to use the mechanic.

This.....and it will vary from game to game depending on the climate cards that are in play, if a particular climate card is in one of the nearer spaces to the marker it may motivate more player attempts to move it there. Also, some of the climate cards themselves will move the climate dramatically.

It's a nice new layer to the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found one of them stats sheets from playtesting. We have detailed stats from 142 games. This is not from the exact current version of the game, but it will give you a general idea of how the Climate Marker moves.

About 8% of the games went to Ice Age at least once (1 out of 12 games).
About 17% of the games went to Freezing at least once (1 out of 6 games).
About 7% of the games went to Scorching at least once (1 out of 14 games).
About 19% of the games went to Hot at least once (1 out of 5 games).

In general, about 1 out of every 3 games went into one of the last two regions on one side of the Climate Board of the other. I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Jacobson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seanmyles wrote:
...move marker 2 spots?

Wasn't it a rule, at least during pre-release, that if there were more than double of one icon than the other, the tracker moved twice?

Has that been retracted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
If a game needs it, I feel forced to create and implement some variants.
mbmbmbmbmb
PersistentVariant wrote:
Seanmyles wrote:
...move marker 2 spots?

Wasn't it a rule, at least during pre-release, that if there were more than double of one icon than the other, the tracker moved twice?

Has that been retracted?

Yes, that was changed. Plus, in consequence, the climate track is shorter than the playtest version one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.