Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KDM – A primer for the new kickstarter

I’m writing this as a guide to the world of Kingdom Death Monster for those who have heard about it on the grapevine, or seen the buzz through other media but don’t really understand what it’s all about. I hope it helps give people a fair (although I could never claim to be unbiased) look at the most unique game I personally have come across.

History
KDM began its life as a kickstarter all the way back in 2012. The reality is however that the models had been around for a significant amount of time before that. The mythos was created by Adam Poots who, using highly skilled modelers and artists created a dark world, populated by terrors where the human denizens were very much at the bottom of food chain.
The kickstarter really was a platform for many to acquire the previously highly expensive resin minis, and apart from basic gameplay videos there were no other professional reviews and no reveal of the rulebook either. Another issue which added to the confusion were the addons of pinup models which served no game purpose but offered miniatures of ladies in various states of undress and in rather unrealistic proportions, this coupled with the sexualised nature of some of the monsters had many write it off as immature.
Despite all this, with the sheer volume of options open to pledge for, and a solid base of miniature fans the game raised over $2million dollars and for a long time was the most successful boardgame kickstarter ever.
Many, many years passed with a mixed response from the creator. It quickly became apparent that quality was paramount, and issues like delivering on time, or keeping some money for himself as profit were distant secondary issues.
Finally in the Autumn of 2015 the postman delivered a massive, almost 20kg black monolith of a box. Would it live up to the impossible expectations of three years wait, or would it languish as an untested mess like so many other KS games….

The Game
KDM is a long campaign game, which consists of 20+ lantern years. Each year would typically represent a game session, and is divided into three separate phases.

The Hunt Phase: This is where you stalk a quarry that you have selected at the start of the year
The Showdown Phase: This is where you catch up to the monster you are hunting, and a fight to the death ensues.
The Settlement Phase: This is where you resolve settlement events, and look to best utilise your new resources, be that through new gear, new technology or new buildings.

Peppered throughout these phases are events, which the rulebook has devoted over 50% of its page count to. These will range from certain events you’ll see every single campaign run, through to unique events that have only triggered on specific cards or combinations of outcomes. By avoiding reading these elements of the rules, a huge amount of enjoyment is derived from seeing these unforeseen twists and turns impacting your settlement. It is highly reminiscent to the discovery of a legacy game, but without the destructive aspect that is found in that genre.

The game itself seems initially quite simple, but rapidly expands outwards and after a few lantern years you’ll be really blown away by the tactical choices your little characters have when facing their quarries. In my mind the game strongly favours emergent narratives, with characters losing limbs, gaining specific fighting arts and skills and suffering disorders as the weight of this terrible world bears down on them.

In terms of the specific phases they all follow a similar pattern:

The Hunt Phase: This phase will have the party choose a creature to hunt. They then progress along a track moving closer to their quarry. It is easily the least impressive phase, and really consists of either revealing an event card (specific to the monster being hunted) or rolling for a random event. Whilst basically entirely random, the encounters have amazing flavour and give you a real feel of the monster you are hunting, whilst the random encounters open up more world building opportunities for Poots, and show you glimpses of things that are going on in this oppressive landscape.

By the end of the phase you will likely be a little worse for wear going into the fight phase, or may even have lost one of your teammates if you’ve had unlucky rolls.

The Showdown Phase: This is the true meat of the game, every monster you meet will have its own stats, and in addition to this will have a deck of specific AI cards that you will form into a deck depending on the difficulty of the monster. There are more AI cards than you would need even for the most advanced monster, meaning it is highly unlikely you’ll feel the fights are the same time and again.

In this phase you’ll be using 2 actions per player to try and whittle down the monsters life, with each damage inflicted having you pull AI from the creatures deck, making it less and less variable as the fight progresses. Hits will be determined by the creature’s hit location deck, again tailored specifically to the monster you face. In addition to the monster you’ll face varying terrain which could be as simple as broken pillars, blocking line of sight, lootable corpses of other, less prepared survivors or giant faces, which will help with ranged attacks if you are on top of them.
The creatures are all VERY different, ranging from a simple lion which reacts to attacks by running away (understandably) and trying to grab survivors, to the far more complex phoenix which manipulates time on the battlefield and can see your heroes age to dust before your eyes. These showdowns are predominantly dice driven (it uses a D10 system to try and simulate hit chance and strength of attack against a monsters toughness) but you’d be wrong in thinking it just devolved to a total luckfest. Good planning and building gear setups to tailor your attacks against specific monsters will see a wild shift in your favour with regards to survivability.

The main “choice” you have in the initial fights will be the use of your survival, a limited resource which allows you to dodge an incoming attack. Later in your games this will be expanded to include extra movement, or attacks, opening a lot more tactical options. By then you’ll have a range of gear, and will need to be prioritising your limited actions between calming the beasts with music to change their persistent mood effects, manipulating the hit location deck to help get easier wounds to the creature, positioning your archers to better hit with their bows and lots more besides.

This phase will be running up to two hours and is the core of the session. Death of survivors is common, and players may need to be reminded that the game is focusing more on the survival of the fledgling settlement, rather than any individual character. Even if death is avoided, characters can suffer permanent loss of limbs, mental disorders with a range of effects or sometimes, new fighting arts which offer more options for the player in subsequent fights. Provided the monster is defeated you’ll pull some monster specific resources and some generic resources and return to settlement.

The Settlement Phase: The survivors now return to the camp, and are faced by a new event affecting the settlement as a whole. As with so much of the game, these range from beneficial to cripplingly harmful events. After the event is resolved, the characters consider how to best use their new resources, once per year they can progress up a robust techtree, providing extra survival generation for future fights, buffing characters or otherwise enhancing the humans in camp. The main use for the resources will be new gear, unlocking new armor or shields and amazing new weapons or even opening a new building which will give more options in later games. This phase tends to end quickly at the early stages of the campaign but as time goes by this phase will get more and more interesting for players as they have more and more options.

My opinions of the game

I’m an unashamed mad fan of the game and it sits comfortably in the top spot of my collection by such a large margin its untrue. The game is an ameritrashers dream, offering amazing narrative, huge impossible highs and crippling lows. But I’m going to play devils advocate and dwell on what I don’t like about the game…

The models: I still struggle with the massive timesink on crafting the models. Some of the monsters are really quite difficult to create, and the armor kits whilst all encompassing (all the gear in the game is represented in plastic) are not very practical to use, meaning I end up not using them at all, sticking with the starting survivors. Additionally whilst the vast majority are not overtly sexualised (in fact, with the exception of the naked unarmoured survivors I feel the armor kits are some of the more reasonable representations of women in the game) some of the models have massive genetalia on them which I personally actively dislike. I’d never play this game with kids, but having a massive cock coming out of the lions god head means I can’t even have the model out and about. Thankfully, these issues are really only prevalent in the expansions (Lion God and Sunstalker specifically) but its still jarring.

The bloat: The game begins simple but starts to expand rapidly, keeping track of every characters injuries, disorders, fighting arts, secret fighting arts, stat boosts, armor and gear can get tiring, especially if you are predominantly soloing the game, when it is complicated fourfold. I feel this is just a product of the scope of the game, it can’t be avoided if you want to have the breadth and range of game that KDM encapsulates.

The randomness: You will have one of your characters die, just due to a bad dice roll. You need to go into this thinking the game is about supporting a small settlement, NOT specific survivors. Losing a character isn’t actually that damaging, but you can’t develop too close an attachment to your survivors.

Narrative dissonance: Its rare in the game, but sometime it devolves into weird humour. I’m fighting for my life in this dark impossible world, and now I’ve hit a lions ding dong. Tee hee. Its all a little immature, and the world would be improved without that sort of thing in my opinion.

So know what you’re getting into, a sprawling love letter of a game, where nothing has been done on a budget and no corner has been cut, an adult game in every sense of the word, a terrifying game, where a characters death can be pointless, or just unlucky. But ultimately an amazing world and one that for I can’t wait to explore more of.
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i just got a copy And i too am impressed.

So much to do, from The huge rulebook, to building the minis to start playing.

I feel That kdm will keep me busy all winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
More than a year in, still nine or ten survivors to assemble from base game and Percival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris! I'm looking forward to the Kickstarer v2.0 on November 25th. I already have most of the expansions (no Spidicules and Slenderman, just don't care for them), hopefully Lion Knight gets one day reprinted. I have already put together few minis from the expansions...just to kill time and to get me into the world of KDM, while waiting for the core game reprint.

I have been pretty much into KDM since I red an article about the game on Ars Technica website in July. The game kind of reminds of Dark Souls on console/PC

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/kingdom-death-monster-...

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great write up. I get where your coming from about the narrative dissonance but I think its subjective. The way I see the blow to the lions dingdong is a testament to how barbaric the showdowns are. The survivors are just flailing at this lion. Stuff like that is going to happen and adds to the realism for me. The hit has a very appropriate response too and it's a pretty much guarantee that I'm rolling a 10 and someone is going to get steamrolled. If the lion responded in a humorous way I'd agree with your point more but it doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
malkaven wrote:
Great write up. I get where your coming from about the narrative dissonance but I think its subjective. The way I see the blow to the lions dingdong is a testament to how barbaric the showdowns are. The survivors are just flailing at this lion. Stuff like that is going to happen and adds to the realism for me. The hit has a very appropriate response too and it's a pretty much guarantee that I'm rolling a 10 and someone is going to get steamrolled. If the lion responded in a humorous way I'd agree with your point more but it doesn't.

Even if it is humourous I think that the game having a bit of a sense of humour or dark comedy to it helps. Like the funny things that happen stop the game from hitting absurd levels of grimdarkness and help keep the mood of the game up to a bearable level.

Also on the note of some of the models containing sexual elements, IE the Sunstalker. I think the whole point is that the game is using stuff like this as part of it's horror based artistic vision. Like we don't normally get exposed to stuff like that even in a normal aspect so I think it makes the monsters look all that more grotesque and twisted.

(And to be honest yeah, I always say that hit location as being a testament to how brutal and "real" the fights are)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its worth mentioning, none of the drawbacks I've mentioned are diminishing my experience. I'm just trying to present the negatives over the positives as I know we all love the game. Its 100% my best game of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Yan
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for your primer, it sums up the little pieces I've gathered from scanning the web these past couple of months. I'm looking forward to the kickstarter, because I don't have the core game. I was attracted first by the game's campaign concept and secondly by the interesting models (though horror genre hasn't really been an attraction to me in the past).

When I browsed the Sold Out section at the Kingdom Death shop, I saw some models and kits I'd like to pick up. Hoping for a Lion King reprint with the Kickstarter. The Knights look really cool, wondering if the White Knight/Storm Knight/Black Knight would ever appear in the future as game content?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
fenyan wrote:
The Knights look really cool, wondering if the White Knight/Storm Knight/Black Knight would ever appear in the future as game content?

Two of these have been mentioned as potential future expansions. To avoid mischaracterizing, I'll quote Poots himself from a May 2016 newsletter, emphasis added.

Monsieur Poots wrote:
So! In the vein of embracing the insanity, Here are some things I am excited to see on the horizon of Kingdom Death. Consider it a soft-announcement of the things that inspire me to work every morning.

KDM - Nightmare Ram Expansion
KDM - Ringtail Fox Expansion
KDM - Black Knight Expansion
KDM - Gryphon Expansion
KDM - Frogdog Expansion
KDM - Lantern Festival (being reworked from the ground up, might focus on towns instead of settlements)
KDM - Storm Knight Expansion (how a survivor can become a hero)
KDM - Custom Campaign Book (for mixing our current expansions, supported with new story events)
KDM - Rust Ocean (area where Architects are from)
KD:Q - Kingdom Death Quest, a PVC game for mass market (gonna try distro with this!)
KD:T - Titan, a deck building game, its perspective far pulled far back to the greater entity level.
KD:L - Labyrinth, the game that highlights Twilight Knights, White Speakers and other hero level classes.
KD:2D - A retro cinematic platformer, with GORGEOUS hand made sprite animation.
MALE PINUPS

Of course these are the far off projects that loom large and don't include the resin releases that I have the pleasure of working on everyday!

Will all of this see the light of day? Will the team rebel and overthrow me first? I certainly can't say for now, but it should be a lot of fun either way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Not be a downer. Only as to not get my hopes up.

Poots that saying he wants to do something doesn't mean he will or can do it. (see lantern expansion)

That said if he even does half of what he would like to do. That'd be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the love for this game, and respect many of the owners that are into it.

But...

Why do I feel that I'm hanging around a pool hall, overhearing the benefits of Meth, and seriously considering trying it as a legitimate decision path for beneficial entertainment?

There is the fifty year old wise man in my head telling me that I shouldn't be here, and should just go home and watch Matlock (reruns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
darthhugo wrote:

But...

Why do I feel that I'm hanging around a pool hall, overhearing the benefits of Meth, and seriously considering trying it as a legitimate decision path for beneficial entertainment?

There is the fifty year old wise man in my head telling me that I shouldn't be here, and should just go home and watch Matlock (reruns).

Because that old man is right. Playing this game is a lot more like a hobby than just a game. It is addictive.

On the positive side: unlike drugs it doesn't vanish. You can have it over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it had become a Frogdog

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

But...

Because that old man is right. Playing this game is a lot more like a hobby than just a game. It is addictive.

On the positive side: unlike drugs it doesn't vanish. You can have it over and over again.

This is the most addictive game you have ever played. Your life will become divided between: reading about the game, thinking about a game, painting or assembling models and actually playing.

Also you will find that there is a whole new way of buying things. It's gonna be like:

A new releases are here! I want a piece of everything! Whaaat? It's so expensive? Ok, I will take out half of the stuff out of the cart. Paid. Yes!

(30 minutes later)

Jesus those things disappear fast! The super-crazy-one is gone already? Damn I'm gonna buy all these others. Click. Paid.

And now you have paid for the shipping for the second time, because there is no way to join two separete purcheses into one and you can't cancel the first order, and buy all these things as one, because half of them are out of stock now.

(30 minutes later)

Why haven't I bought the crazy-one, while it was there? Why?

(1 day later)

Oh, the crazy one is on ebay! They charge... whaaaaaaaaaat?

(3 days later)

Ok, it's been paid for. No food till the end of the month.

After a few of those updates you just learn that it's easier and cheaper to buy everything at once while it's in shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

But...

Yeah, unlike drugs it's much harder to smoke plastic or put in inside your vein, so it's a bit healthier.

Aaaaahhh! But did I told you about the price of paints and brushes and custom made bases, green stuff, mediums and retarders? Oh yeah! It's a slippery slope!

But! But! But! There is one thing that makes it all worth. It's crazy fun!

And just to be really honest - for me KD had been a life changing hobby in ways I would never imagine.

To justify the purchase of the base game I quit smoking cigarettes. It was during preorders. I was like - I want it! But how will I ever explain to myself and family that I spent $350 dollars on plastic toy-soldiers?

So I decided to quit smoking, knowing that by the time it will arrive it will be like a month or two of me not smoking. So when my wife would ask me how much it was I would be able to start my answer with: you know how I haven't been smoking for 8 weeks now... well...

So every time I felt craving for a cig in those hard first days I was like: you can't have a smoke! The purchase was made. The game is on it's way. It's too late!

It was an elaborate plan to fool myself actually, because it's not like m wife would be mad or anything, she actually plays with me from time to time And she LOLed when I told her about it all in the end. But it was a super effective way to make myself quit a bad addiction.

So in the long term the money I would have spend smoking balanced out the purchase and the health benefits are a plus. By now (it's been over a year and I have not smoked a single cigarette!) I think the money I would have put in the smokes are half way through paying for expansions.

And after I quit smoking I started to eat healthier, stopped drinking cola-cola (turns out I liked the coke zero only with smokes and without them the coke is not that tasty).

And because I feel a lot more tastes now that I don't smoke I eat a lot more veggies and a lot less crappy fast-food. I even started working out every other morning.

Basically I made a habit of improving my life a bit with every bigger purchase I make for my KD hobby.

A new expansion? Great! Starting tomorrow I'm not buying sweets if it's not weekend. That kind of thing.

So yeah. It's expensive, addictive hobby that will make you more creative (I'm getting really good with painting and it's so fulfilling and satisfying!) and that you can use as excuse to make your life better

Kingdom Death? It's more like Kingdom Life for me

And besides... I want more plastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fenyan wrote:
Hoping for a Lion King reprint with the Kickstarter.

Here we go again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
blunder1983 wrote:
The bloat: The game begins simple but starts to expand rapidly, keeping track of every characters injuries, disorders, fighting arts, secret fighting arts, stat boosts, armor and gear can get tiring, especially if you are predominantly soloing the game, when it is complicated fourfold. I feel this is just a product of the scope of the game, it can’t be avoided if you want to have the breadth and range of game that KDM encapsulates.

What you call "Bloat" I actually consider one of the most compelling parts of the game. I can see where some people might consider keeping track of the numerous stats, disorders, abilities, etc. tedious, but balancing the strengths and weaknesses of individual settlers against their roles in the KDM world is a major strategy element of the game. And while it's true that keeping an eye to the health of the settlement as a whole is vital for progressing very far, the individuality of the residents of that settlement is where a lot of the emotional investment comes in. When three of my favorite survivors get slaughtered in a fight and some nobody that I brought along to fill a slot manages to scrape out a win against all odds and gets a huge stat boost, the drama of that fight is so much greater than if I'd just brought 4 equally static and interchangeable "pieces." There are a lot of elements that make this game great. The rise and fall, growth and decline of the characters is what makes each campaign truly unique for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, as I said above. I'm merely playing devils advocate, highlighting potential issues for newcomers. There are a lot of moving parts and it needs to be highlighted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Again, as I said above. I'm merely playing devils advocate, highlighting potential issues for newcomers. There are a lot of moving parts and it needs to be highlighted.

Hopefully your not taking offense to others giving their perspective on the drawbacks that you highlighted. It may help newcomers get idea of how they are seen by others. In terms of bloat I happen to agree with you. I play KD:M solo and it can be difficult to keep track of everything. Your write up is great and it will be a huge asset to newcomers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed this game the first time around and am strongly considering the new KS. Looks amazing but just constructing the minis has me questioning it as I have little free time now a days and want to spend it gaming (not assembling). Not to mention the potential price (although for what you get it seems worth it). Still I might have to bite the bullet on this one and appreciate the great write up! Was very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
blunder1983 wrote:
having a massive cock coming out of the lions god head

Well now I'm 100% backing this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
blunder1983 wrote:
Again, as I said above. I'm merely playing devils advocate

Of course, but the point of playing devil's advocate is to give others something to argue against. I fully understand that the minutae of character management can be a slog. I was just trying to convey what I see as the payoff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hius wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:
having a massive cock coming out of the lions god head

Well now I'm 100% backing this game.

Why do people think his head is that. It just looks like a long tentacle/whip. Perhaps it is quasi phallic, but it does not look like anatomical junk to me. Now his tail definitely is, but that seems reasonable located.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:
fenyan wrote:
Hoping for a Lion King reprint with the Kickstarter.

Here we go again

In Kingdom Death, we're all part of the circle of life. We eat and we're eaten. Rated PG for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

But...

I feel the same.
I got everything from the first campaign but have yet to try the game or even read the rules.
My fear is this is going to be the same as with South Park. I am soo bored when I watch an episode, but when people talk about the show I always giggle and think "I must sit down soon and watch some more episodes". But when I sit down and watch an episode, I instantly regret spending more time on that show.
An endless cycle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.