Dune» Forums » Rules

Subject: Definition of, "Deal" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Moore

New York
New York
msg tools
So we had a dispute this Saturday, our first time playing the game, on what had to be announced publicly in regards to, "deals."

The rules state that all deals must be publicly announced and must be honored. But what, exactly, is a deal? I get that, "If you leave me alone in Arrakeen, I won't attach you in Sietch Tabr" is a deal but what about some ambiguous, "We're just going to generally help each other"? It sounds like wordplay that circumvents the precise intent of the rule.

Anyone else ever have this type of problem and feedback on how you resolved it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that any "Deal" is any agreement between the parties and therefore MUST be honored.

For example, If you agree not to attack me in Seitch Tabr this turn, I'll go to the fridge and get you a beer.

However, there are NO DEALS until a worm appears.

Remember this is how our group interprets that rule, I'm not saying we are right, just that we are pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Sudhoff
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We even play without "dealing", when not allied.
Anyhow, I think, that it would be much more "spicy", allowing "deals", but my mates don't.
When discussing it, the most questioned point was, if the Atreides are allowed to "sell" information about enemy treachery-cards to non-allied factions (in my opinion, the Atreides are the guys with the fewest spice and so would have the chance to "earn some money")... same question about (safe) traitors or the Fremen "storm-knowledge"...
I think, it would make spice more "flowing". But my mates don't soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ateo wrote:
So we had a dispute this Saturday, our first time playing the game, on what had to be announced publicly in regards to, "deals."

The rules state that all deals must be publicly announced and must be honored. But what, exactly, is a deal? I get that, "If you leave me alone in Arrakeen, I won't attach you in Sietch Tabr" is a deal but what about some ambiguous, "We're just going to generally help each other"? It sounds like wordplay that circumvents the precise intent of the rule.

Anyone else ever have this type of problem and feedback on how you resolved it?

A deal that is announced publically must be honored. If it is ambiguous, then it doesn't need to be honored. "We are going to help each other", is not an enforceable deal because it doesn't define specific game actions/non-actions. That's how we've played it.

Of course, a private deal between players need not be honored.

A deal can be made at any time including before the first worm. It is common for the Atreides to make a deal to sell treachery card info for spice from the get-go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously, depending on your group, your mileage may vary.

In dealing (if you'll pardon the pun) with games such as this, it's usually a good idea to discuss and mutually agree upon interpretations, prior to staring play. But again, that depends on your group, and how seriously they (or a certain subset of "they") take their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Baptiste Ménard
France
flag msg tools
Hi
I do not have played for a while, but I can quote the French JeuxDescartes 1992 rules.

In my opinion, rule #XIII C (Tractations) is amazing : how is it possible not to get the game a mess this way ? events are often more complex than they seem in an oral deal before they occur, so even sincere players can have different interpretations of the deal. In a house rule I would suggest to get rid of it, like in Junta : you could cheat other players in a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls