Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not like either the paper and pencil tracking or the system used in Formula D for tracking damage.

I am running a series of races and am considering alternatives for tracking the damage.

Some have even created player boards using poker chips for damage. This could be just the simplest way to do it. Now,I do not want to use this method because of the size of my poker chip set, (I do not have a small diameter set of poker chips.) and intuitively I would want black chips to be for tires and typically black chips are not as numerous in chip sets. I am thinking it would be best to use different colors for the different types of damage.

So, then there are 8mm cubes. These would be small. These would be easily displayed. I could make a player board for these, if desired, and they worked out in future games. It would be easy to see what is left for each car. I would have to get about three hundred cubes to run a full field.

Now I have come up with a final way to track damage. . . playing cards. This method would create some "hidden" information in the game. I would need about 300 cards for this system as well.

So, my question:

While I know that Formula de/D is not a simulation. In a simulation sense, should the drivers know the damage of their opponents' cars? I think there could be an argument to go either way. From a game perspective, I could see advantages to both methods. Or is it better to use poker chips?

All input welcome before I buy something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

One of the best new features of the Asmodee Formula D re-release. Simplifies all book keeping.

We've never had a need to hide any resources from eachother. But if your play group is one such that is motivated to capitalize on this, then you may wish to have body or all resources hidden from plain view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Formula D as well and use that feature, but I am thinking that it is not necessarily an optimal way to track either.

I am not asking about the "need" to hide. My question is more with regards to is it more thematic to hide or have the information be open? From a simulation perspective, would the driver know the damage of an opponent's car.

I am inclined to say yes with certain categories and not others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Optimal how? Maybe what you are asking is for is not how I am interpreting as optimized. Maybe you mean visually for everyone to see around the table easily?

I think 7 pegs total. Different colored information bars in a compact 4"x4" area is very low maintenance and everything is easily discernible.

I prefer the paper / pencil method in the FDe edition myself.

____

From a simulation standpoint, everything but Tire type should be hidden, no? You as a drive would not know how much brake, tire, transmission, etc I would have. But you could be radio'd by crew that I went in pits to change tire type.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I was not being clear. Different gamers are going to have different interpretations of optimal.

Either poker chips, cubes or playing cards could work. I personally do not like the Formula D boards for a couple of reasons.

I was looking into getting cubes and saw the cowcow sale and thought that I might be able to use playing cards to track damage. However, then the information would be hidden which got me thinking.... Would that be thematic?

As for the hidden information, I think there could be an argument to be made that engine and body should be known, but if using playing cards it would be annoying to hide everything else. However, I am wondering in Formula One racing that the drivers know how there competitors are doing, via radio communication.

Floydski wrote:

Optimal how? Maybe what you are asking is for is not how I am interpreting as optimized. Maybe you mean visually for everyone to see around the table easily?

I think 7 pegs total. Different colored information bars in a compact 4"x4" area is very low maintenance and everything is easily discernible.

I prefer the paper / pencil method in the FDe edition myself.

____

From a simulation standpoint, everything but Tire type should be hidden, no? You as a drive would not know how much brake, tire, transmission, etc I would have. But you could be radio'd by crew that I went in pits to change tire type.

~Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I actually like the new cockpit, but the gear changes is horrible, have in mind that I usual play with a timer, 20s to change gear, roll the dice and move. Then you can easily fiddle with the gear for 1-2 seconds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.