Hide
7 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: Failed negotiations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaffak Landsdown
msg tools
Not really a question but anyone know the thematic reason for the 3 lost ships on both sides for a failed negotiation ?
What does that represent ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KusHniR
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffak78 wrote:
Not really a question but anyone know the thematic reason for the 3 lost ships on both sides for a failed negotiation ?
What does that represent ?

I like to think about it like two gangs having negotiations. If it doesnt work out shoots gonna fire cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've long been a student of Cosmic Encounter, but I don't know the reason either. I suspect the original designers just calibrated it that way, and it worked.

And it does work. 3 ships is not such a bad price to pay early on, but later on in the game, when the Warp is loaded and everybody's got at least a couple of foreign colonies, 3 ships is a BIG price to pay. You don't want to find yourself in a position where you have to make a deal or lose colonies (either home or foreign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
I think Rob has the pulse of it. Sometimes the ingredients for a particular rule simply include more game mechanic than theme.

However, I've also entertained the idea that when you select an encounter card, this doesn't so much represent the decision of your local fleet commander but rather his orders from his higher-ups back in the home capital. For example, a low Attack card you'd rather not play represents a frustrating order from Central Command that ties your hands behind your back, such as "Engage the enemy, but send in only your first battalion."

In that vein, you can imagine that your ships are never truly diplomats, but fighters that sometimes have been ordered to play a Negotiate. When that breaks down, the natural tendencies of two armies of warriors kick in and there's blood on both sides.

To further support this line of thought, the earlier editions had no "ships" but rather tokens. The tokens were, I believe, intentionally abstract because sometimes a challenge (encounter) represented a fleet battle, while other times it represented a face-to-face negotiation. Or maybe it represented a bribe, or a high-stakes poker game for control of the world down on the planet itself or aboard one of the flagships or at an imagined neutral site.

This easily explained the aliens that directly affected challenge resolution in thematically un-space-battlish ways. Macron's body size makes a difference because in that scenario, the story was not about a fleet battle but rather hand-to-hand combat. Conceptually, the number of different methods and locations for the challenge was limited only by our imaginations, since a "token" could be a ship or a fleet or an individual or a bacterium or a giant space-whale or a four-minotaur barbershop quartet. (You simply cannot imagine the aural beauty until you've heard those minotaurs for yourself. Mesmerizing.)

It's a bit sad that the modern conversion to ships has thus weakened the storyline for some of these kinds of aliens. Of course it has strengthened others, and there's no doubt the plastic bits are an excellent upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda figured that Macrons used Godzilla sized warriors. but I suspect others didn't imagine it the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
marhawkman wrote:
I kinda figured that Macrons used Godzilla sized warriors.

Well, that is kinda supported by the original 1977 image:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Once, back in the days when the xenations were a bit friendlier to each other (before the deadlock on the last known Precursor cache was cracked and all hell broke loose), I attended an interspecies open-air musical concert. It was really excellent all around.

Of course what I was most anticipating were the barbershop Minotaurs, and man oh man, they did not disappoint. It turned out that I had squeaked in right under the wire, as this would tragically be the last group appearance of all the founding members of the Furious Four: Harmf (baritone), Grastador (bass), Manestador (contrabass), and Tiny Spud (subcontrabass). Yep, the end of the Four's golden age. (Don't be jealous, it's one of the few perks of being this old.) There's simply nothing in the Cosmos that compares to those exquisite harmonies that are both heard and felt.

What I did not expect, though, was a guest soloist on their closing number, the old crowd-pleaser standard, Dismember Me Forever. Her name was Vunellia or Vunestra or something like that (sorry, my memory is not what it once was), and she was a Macron(!). Back home she was, I believe, a second contralto as the Macrons denominate their vocal ranges, and musically quite husky/sexy, at least to the extent that my tiny eardrums could discern her frequencies.

Amazingly, she was able to pitch it up two full octaves to sing octo-CB on the Minotaur scale and blend in beautifully. What an instrument! She did have to lie on her side with her enormous, gorgeous head propped up on one elbow just behind the dais ... which then explained why the entire orchestra section on one side had been marked reserved, to leave room for her massive frame to lie. (Oh yeah, and she accidentally kicked over the entire west-side kinzosh booth, but of course nobody really cared about that except the Filths. Fortunately none of their hoverbubbles were breached and most of them had already tethered themselves for the final song, so an ugly incident was narrowly avoided.)

Man, I wish I had captured a threedee file of it all. Even in a Cosmos as diverse as this, that was a truly historic night. I do so miss those bulls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.