Hide
16 Posts

Project: ELITE» Forums » General

Subject: Is it Worth it? Refund or get game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riski Jones
msg tools
This was my first KS game I followed, what a mess! I late backed this project right after it ended. However, I recently just received a email stating my order was never processed, and they are going to have to ship me my order direct (no clue on the lead time on this?).

I am on the fence about this project. Out of principle because of the lack of communication, delays, quality of minis, etc. I want to ask for a refund and be done with this. However, on the other hand the reviews look decent granted mini look meh.. and the concept of the game is interesting.

What is everyone's thoughts now that they actually have the game in hand and have had a few sessions with it? Worth it? Would you do it again? Should i just walk away, and take that money and throw it into KS-Deep Madness xpac, or KS-Mythic Battles: Pantheon.

Any insight would be great! Thanks.

TLDR: Never shipped game. Do I ask for refund or get the game anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, apart from the things that went wrong in the campaign, the game itself is really fast & fun, and totally worth the wait. We played our first 4-player game two weeks ago, and we'll surely play again!
I'd say keep it. I surely keep mine! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got this second hand from someone and am enjoying this a lot.

I will say that neither of the other games you mentioned play even remotely like this though.

My wife and I enjoy it because it has that real-time tension of Escape/Fuse but broken into more manageable chunks and with a little more 'meat' and decisions to make. Plus every game so far has come down to the wire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fun, unique game. I'd keep it and wait it out if I were you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is absolutely not worth it. I have played a couple of solo games and it's just ok for me. The miniatures, which are a large reason I backed the game, are also so poor quality that it irritates me every time I set up the game. I can also see the novelty of the game wearing out fairly quickly.

If I could go back in time I would skip this product for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riski Jones
msg tools
Ya that is kind of my thoughts. I haven't found or seen a game that has a similar mechanic as this game, hence why I am on the fence on it. I was a huge SC2 player back in WOL/HOTS and really enjoy playing strategy games in real time. I always described it as trying to play chess while juggling and driving a car 100 mph. On the other hand, I feel like they didn't hold up their part of the agreement from the minis, and communication.

I might end up getting it and not supporting any future projects they do again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bookblogger wrote:
The miniatures, which are a large reason I backed the game, are also so poor quality that it irritates me every time I set up the game

They're deliberately made robust so you can trust they'll survive being thrown off the board in the 'heat' of battle. Backing this for the miniatures seems like a poor decision to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fun really ramps up in multiplayer. Having others yelling and moving pieces frantically while everyone is trying to stop the hordes from coming is quite fun, and the down time of the alien phase is much appreciated.

Solo wasn't as much fun for me.

I was disappointed about the figures as well at first, but after playing quite a few games at different difficulty levels, where things are getting smacked, tossed, and hurled off the board, their thickness and size seems almost a plus.

I say wait it out too. We've had a lot of fun with it. You might as well. Just block it out of your thoughts until it eventually shows up at your doorstep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played both 2 and 3P games with a variety of people, and every single player has come away wanting to play again.

If you want miniatures back Mythic Battles: Pantheon, The Edge, Deep Madness or similar; incredible miniatures are flooding the market to the point where you'll need to build a new basement just to house them.

P:E has crap minis but is a blast to play, IMHO of course. And I usually can't stand crap miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riski Jones
msg tools
Valid point. I am gonna chalk this up to a learning experience and go from there. I think I am going to keep it.

Thanks for all the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bookblogger wrote:
I think the game is absolutely not worth it. I have played a couple of solo games and it's just ok for me. The miniatures, which are a large reason I backed the game, are also so poor quality that it irritates me every time I set up the game. I can also see the novelty of the game wearing out fairly quickly.

I continue to not understand this, where people got this inflated view of how amazing the mini's were going to be. The only response I've gotten is because of the buzz words "highly detailed". The renderings in the campaign never looked great, it was obvious that they were designed to be single mold figures.

The newly fixed mini's we got perfectly represent what was depicted during the campaign. Either way, mini's always took a back seat in this game, it's a more heavily produced take on the real-time dice-chucking genre. You're playing this game in frantic bursts, it's not a tactical miniature game where you're staring at mini's the entire time, in this game you're staring at dice as frantically flip them, the aliens just have to be recognizable enough to grab and move and it succeeds there.

Anyway, if you can put all the missteps of the campaign aside and appreciate the game for what it is, it's frantic fun and exactly what I was super-excited to get in my hands over a year ago. In the grand scheme of things, lessons were learned, except where communication is concerned, but there's a fun game at the end that I'm happy to own. No real harm done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb game - keep it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
TyDeL wrote:

I continue to not understand this, where people got this inflated view of how amazing the mini's were going to be. The only response I've gotten is because of the buzz words "highly detailed". The renderings in the campaign never looked great, it was obvious that they were designed to be single mold figures.

Actually , the term they used was "hobby-game". That has a certain connotation to it that's a whole different level of quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riski wrote:
Do I ask for refund or get the game anyway?

Good luck with that option. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
bookblogger wrote:

We just had a game last night and because of your comment I was kind of keeping an eye on how the miniatures are integrated in the game. I 'll give you this: The character miniatures are not very inspiring (the poses). Everyone is sculpted like they are mannequins displaying their weapons.

On the other hand, the quality, but also the sculpts (a lot of core plastic, limited thin limps etc), of the alien miniatures is ideal for this type of game. Yesterday we had at least 5-8 miniatures that fell off the table due to the panic of the 2min period in a 4p game. I would have had a heart attack if those were the same quality like the Conan miniatures I just received. With these ones (both material quality and sculpt types) I had no problem.

Keep in mind that Project Elite is one of those few games where it has a lot of miniatures and it uses a lot of them in any given game (I still have Descent 2 minis that I have never used in a game setting).

My own opinion: keep the game. Don't care for the minis too much. They are not the best around, but they are super functional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
rpvt wrote:
TyDeL wrote:

Actually , the term they used was "hobby-game". That has a certain connotation to it that's a whole different level of quality.

Next time actually look at the pictures - they were ugly in the KS and what you get is pretty much what you should have expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.