Subject: Game night with CS fans, new and old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The local gaming store has open gaming on Sunday evenings. I decided to go this time and took my Crimson Skies stuff with me. Who knows? Perhaps I'd get lucky and get to play!

I set out my goods in the hopes of luring players to the table. I got several nods of interest and appreciation and quite a few questions from the 8-10 guys that were there, but not any nibbles on playing. Most of the people there were either playing BattleLore or Puerto Rico, so I waited and talked to the couple of guys that weren't involved in a game.

Finally, to "pass the time", we started playing to show the guys the rules. My counterparts chose a couple of Broadway Bombersplanes (Nancy 'Market Maker' Morgan in her Brigand and Kenneth 'Iron Horse' Vanderbilt III in his Avenger). I was happy to see that we'd get to play a game with a plane that featured a rear gun (Brigand). To make things even, I chose a couple of Fortune Hunters squad mates (Robert 'Buck' Deere in his Devastator and 'Big John' Washington in his Vampire). Of the three of us, two had played CS before, while the third guy hadn't.

The first couple of rounds were spent getting used to the rules. this was fine, as the planes were too far apart to fire. At the beginning of round three, the action started heating up. It was readily apparent that the Brigand would be carrying the lion's share of offensive power for the Bombers. With a tail gunner that shot magnesium rounds (meaning he gets to reroll 'hits' for potentially extra damage), he was going to chew through my planes with ease! Sure enough, he started dinging my planes cor 1-2 clicks from practically the get-go.

The game was an interesting mix of instruction and guesswork as we wove our ways through a dangerous aerial dance. My planes kept getting nickel and dimed for damage, while I was always just out of range or enough off-target to get a shot.

About halfway through the game, another fellow (the brother of one of the guys playing) came in and took over one of my planes. After about half an hour, he was shot from the sky. At that point, he and his brother left to play Legend of the 5 Rings, leaving just my opponent and me.

We danced around each other for a couple of rounds and then I made a mistake. If I had dropped my speed by one, he would have been directly in my sights, less than a marker away (giving me a -1 to his silhouette). As it was, we danced away from each other and prepped for the next round. He had initiative and a question about a move. If he played a certain maneuver, where would it put him? I helped him with his decision. I told him to slow his speed and take his shot. He scored two hits, making me kiss silk (i.e., parachute from my plunging plane).

All in all, everyone enjoyed themselves. The "newbie" really liked the game and inquired how much it would cost to get a complete set on eBay. We talked about the game and certain mechanics for a while and then parted for the evening. I learned the importance of slowing down in a dense fight and how powerful rear guns can be! The game raised some rules questions that I'll ask in a future post, but all in all it moved very smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Garchow
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Nice summary - I'm trying to teach my Son-In _Law the game - I only played it myself a couple of times. Speed control is the key!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls